The Student Room Group

18-year-old Chinese here. Ask me about everything-

Hi everyone! l come from Shanghai, having got an offer from Goldsmiths in IFC Design and will begin my study in London next year. l have passed IELTS and travelled to London a few days ago to attend Goldsmiths' open day. l love this school, as well as London. Every person is so polite and highly civilized. So l have a whole vacant year in Shanghai, but l have a strong desire to make new friends. l love arts, basketball, electronic music, etc. So please feel free to ask me everything about China and l am also finding friends who also will go to Goldsmiths next year.

Scroll to see replies

Top 5 things to do in China?
Reply 2
Original post by student342
Top 5 things to do in China?

China is a large country with variant cultures. l guess you won't love remote areas. In modern cities of China, it can be separated into two categories: Shanghai and all other cities. In Shanghai, you can still live like a foreigner, in other cities, you will have to experience Chinese culture. l live in Shanghai and l recommend 1.go to historical interests, find out the mixture of western and domestic culture in Shanghai. 2. eat local food 3. go to NongTang to experience the huge GDP difference in Shanghai 4. experience huge manner quality differences of Shanghainese. These are 4 things l recommend, it can help you know Shanghai and China more. Hoping l can help you : )
Original post by dfenly
Hi everyone! l come from Shanghai, having got an offer from Goldsmiths in IFC Design and will begin my study in London next year. l have passed IELTS and travelled to London a few days ago to attend Goldsmiths' open day. l love this school, as well as London. Every person is so polite and highly civilized. So l have a whole vacant year in Shanghai, but l have a strong desire to make new friends. l love arts, basketball, electronic music, etc. So please feel free to ask me everything about China and l am also finding friends who also will go to Goldsmiths next year.

Congrats on your place!! We look forward to welcoming you to Goldsmiths in 2020 🎉🤩

You may want to make a post on our 2020 thread to meet fellow applicants/accepted students! There should also be a 2020 Facebook group created later in the year. 😊

If you have any questions about coming to Goldsmiths or moving to London, feel free to let me know!

-Miranda 😎
Reply 4
Original post by Goldsmiths, University of London
Congrats on your place!! We look forward to welcoming you to Goldsmiths in 2020 🎉🤩

You may want to make a post on our 2020 thread to meet fellow applicants/accepted students! There should also be a 2020 Facebook group created later in the year. 😊

If you have any questions about coming to Goldsmiths or moving to London, feel free to let me know!

-Miranda 😎

Cheers Miranda~ Thank you
Does the phrase:

that's a really great wall!

have a whole new meaning there?:beard:
Reply 6
Original post by 04MR17
Does the phrase:

that's a really great wall!

have a whole new meaning there?:beard:

Sorry mate, l'm afraid that's just one sentence, nothing else maybe. :smile: BTW where did you hear that?
你好 ( hello !)
I like art too :smile: London is great place to come for the creative industry. Congratulations ! I hope you have a bright future here . :smile:
Views on President Xi Jinping. A force for good or an autocratic dictator?

whats it like in china
Reply 10
Original post by Reality Check
Views on President Xi Jinping. A force for good or an autocratic dictator?

l am a Chinese and have distinct emotions on my country. But l don't love the politic system in China. l am also not suitable for Chinese education progression. So l decided to study abroad. l don't like the domestic systems in my deep heart, but politic is none of my business.
Original post by dfenly
l am a Chinese and have distinct emotions on my country. But l don't love the politic system in China. l am also not suitable for Chinese education progression. So l decided to study abroad. l don't like the domestic systems in my deep heart, but politic is none of my business.

Do you plan to return to China once your studies are complete, or shall you work in the Europe/America?
Reply 12
Original post by Queen_Ellie

whats it like in china

Huge gaps between the rich and poor, leading to different manner quality of Chinese people. We have beautiful vibes of mountains, rivers, historical interests, etc. To be short, China is a large country, with different kinds of people, and it is still a developing country.
I've read about a test called the Gaokao in China that is apprently really hard. Have you taken this test or are you going to?
Are you going abroad because of the lower standards here?
Are you rich?
Reply 14
Do you plan to return to China once your studies are complete, or shall you work in the Europe/America?

l don't know, but if l return to China l won't join the party:smile:
are you good at math?
Original post by jonlovehead2
are you good at math?

That's quite a stereotypical comment to make.

And it's MATHS, for god's sake.
I have something to ask that's not about your country. Its more of a personal nature. I Joined this forum, just to get insight on one thing only..."Study"
I'll give you a condensed rundown. I come from a poor family and had mediocre grades all through school growing up. I am now 41 years of age working in I.T. I have never gone for classes in higher education institutions, and no-one has ever been able to answer my question around "Study", not my parents, my siblings or teachers. They give you every answer in the book on whats important when learning (Lighting, a comfortable chair, no distractions...blah, blah, blah) but not the how. This is primarily why I never did particularly well in school.... So my question is "How does one learn and retain information? (The process of learning)" It may be a dumb question but in my case its very unique and in short, if a subject I am trying to learn does not resonate with me or interest me, no matter how hard I try, by the time I have turned over the page I am reading, I have not retained any information on it, not a single word. Any help will be greatly appreciated.
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 18
Original post by Uori32qu
I've read about a test called the Gaokao in China that is apprently really hard. Have you taken this test or are you going to?
Are you going abroad because of the lower standards here?
Are you rich?

Yes, if one doesn't go abroad he has to take Gaokao tpo be decided which uni he will go. In China, we have to learn 8 subjects totally and have to get high marks. For me, l don't need to take Gaokao and my GPA is decided by my usual academic performance. Not adequate to say the standard is lower in UK but because l love art and design but in China we have to draw a lot of pictures and also should take Gaokao. That's painstaking and unnecessary. So l study abroad for art.
That's quite a stereotypical comment to make.

And it's MATHS, for god's sake.

i was only asking because i like math s sorry if i offend you :frown:

Quick Reply

Latest