The Student Room Group

How to overcome my lack of confidence

Hi so i have recently started a new job and my co workers are all people with big personalities unlike myself and i want to be able to talk to them and start up conversations but i can be awkward at times and shy away from approaching them as they've all have strong friendships with other co workers and it's bugging me bc i want to get over this awkward side of me bc i know when i'm comfortable around people i can be loud and easy to talk to but with strangers it's a bit more difficult....i don't want this introvert side of me to stop myself from building friendships and being more talkative whether in my job or with others. i tend to work quietly and just say the usual greetings but i want to be able to do more than that and idk if its the lack of confidence that is stopping me

any suggestions as to how i can overcome this thing/lack of confidence
Original post by Anonymous
Hi so i have recently started a new job and my co workers are all people with big personalities unlike myself and i want to be able to talk to them and start up conversations but i can be awkward at times and shy away from approaching them as they've all have strong friendships with other co workers and it's bugging me bc i want to get over this awkward side of me bc i know when i'm comfortable around people i can be loud and easy to talk to but with strangers it's a bit more difficult....i don't want this introvert side of me to stop myself from building friendships and being more talkative whether in my job or with others. i tend to work quietly and just say the usual greetings but i want to be able to do more than that and idk if its the lack of confidence that is stopping me

any suggestions as to how i can overcome this thing/lack of confidence

I was like you last year when I joined a new school. It's an international school and I was afraid to approach many of the teachers and students because I thought that they looked cool but this year, I wanted to be different. I wanted to socialize more because it's my last school year and I want to make the most of it. So I didn't change one bit about me. I started hanging out with them at lunch and going to parties and I was just myself with weird tastes etc. and now everyone likes me because I'm being me and they love me for that.

So just go for it. Hangout with the more, join their conversations even if you have no clue about what they're talking. You can talk about your experiences and what you know. Don't try to be someone else.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending