The Student Room Group

Switching from biomed to architecture in 2nd year?

Hi guys. I am probably feeling as uncomfortable as you are while reading this but I've been in a huge dilemma this university year. So I'm currently studying biomedical sciences at the university of Bristol. I originally applied for medicine but (thank god as I see now) none of my 3 interviews was successful. I've always been the artistic kind of person (I still draw saketches when I feel low)but never actually thought of persuading a career in it since it felt like it wouldn't allow me to live the way I wanted to moneywise and I want to (hopefully) make a family before 30. I applied for med because I found it fascinating and I loveee helping and generally interacting with people. After some things that happened in my life the past year I realised that having time for myself is important and I might be too sensitive to be a doctor so I'm probably not going to try applying again. However when it comes to biomed, I do find some things interesting but I cannot imagine myself working in the field. This is because I basically hate labs. You can't talk to bacteria afterall! Aaaaand I don't want a career iin academia either. Wouldn't have the patience to teach. So the only things that I kinda find myself interested to are genetic counseling, clinical psychology (which would also need more effort to switch to) and maybe embryology. So yesterday I had a random conversation with my dad about how much I'm not enjoying this year's units (I've been through a period of depression too so idk if that's part of it) and he joked about him telling me to become an architect. I always remember him saying that just for fun since he's a developer. Then I was like "Yeah I'll just draw **** meet with people, discuss and maybe make some changes and ..." And just like that it felt like smth snapped. The past semester I've been talking about how much I enjoy art and how important human communication is for me. I've been overthinking about this the whole day. What if I switch courses? Should I switch now? Should I finish my degree? Do I have the qualifications? What happens with the EU loan? Am I wasting my parents' money? AND MY life?! Wtf is wrong with me? Anyone's opinion would be appreciated. Thanks :smile:
Have a look at a few undergrad architecture courses and see if you are still interested?
If you are, you can make enquiries at your uni and see if they will assist you to switch courses.
Have you met with your personal tutor recently?
Reply 2
Original post by londonmyst
Have a look at a few undergrad architecture courses and see if you are still interested?
If you are, you can make enquiries at your uni and see if they will assist you to switch courses.
Have you met with your personal tutor recently?

Hi. There's no architecture course at the university of Bristol. Yes I've spoken with my tutor and the university's career service. I am still interested but everyone is saying I should first finish my degree...
No point in wasting more money to finish your degree. You absolutely sure you don’t want to continue with it or do other things like psychology genetic counselling and embryology this? If your heart is with architecture go for it!!
What a levels did you do? You should look at the Univeristy requirements page for that course. Apply in ucas as soon as possible as there’s a deadline in January.
Reply 5
Original post by Mustafa0605
What a levels did you do? You should look at the Univeristy requirements page for that course. Apply in ucas as soon as possible as there’s a deadline in January.

I did maths chemistry and biology. I'm also going to need a portfolio and just my sketches wouldn't be enough.
Original post by Hero_Lou
Hi. There's no architecture course at the university of Bristol. Yes I've spoken with my tutor and the university's career service. I am still interested but everyone is saying I should first finish my degree...

UWE in Bristol has a very good architecture course. Why don't you see if you can pay them a visit and speak to someone about your qualifications and the likelihood of getting onto an architecture course.
Reply 7

Hi guys. I am probably feeling as uncomfortable as you are while reading this but I've been in a huge dilemma this university year. So I'm currently studying biomedical sciences at the university of Bristol. I originally applied for medicine but (thank god as I see now) none of my 3 interviews was successful. I've always been the artistic kind of person (I still draw saketches when I feel low)but never actually thought of persuading a career in it since it felt like it wouldn't allow me to live the way I wanted to moneywise and I want to (hopefully) make a family before 30. I applied for med because I found it fascinating and I loveee helping and generally interacting with people. After some things that happened in my life the past year I realised that having time for myself is important and I might be too sensitive to be a doctor so I'm probably not going to try applying again. However when it comes to biomed, I do find some things interesting but I cannot imagine myself working in the field. This is because I basically hate labs. You can't talk to bacteria afterall! Aaaaand I don't want a career iin academia either. Wouldn't have the patience to teach. So the only things that I kinda find myself interested to are genetic counseling, clinical psychology (which would also need more effort to switch to) and maybe embryology. So yesterday I had a random conversation with my dad about how much I'm not enjoying this year's units (I've been through a period of depression too so idk if that's part of it) and he joked about him telling me to become an architect. I always remember him saying that just for fun since he's a developer. Then I was like "Yeah I'll just draw **** meet with people, discuss and maybe make some changes and ..." And just like that it felt like smth snapped. The past semester I've been talking about how much I enjoy art and how important human communication is for me. I've been overthinking about this the whole day. What if I switch courses? Should I switch now? Should I finish my degree? Do I have the qualifications? What happens with the EU loan? Am I wasting my parents' money? AND MY life?! Wtf is wrong with me? Anyone's opinion would be appreciated. Thanks :smile:

Architecture is a super rewarding degree - im studying at UWE currently. However you have to be completely certain you want to take it. It’s a very intense course and your heart has to be in it for it to be worthwhile. Make sure you take the time to fully think it through. Come visit UWE take a tour and have a look round the course. We are a high regarded university so I would definitely recommend taking the time out to come have a chat with someone to see if it’s for you.
hope this helps

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending