The Student Room Group

2 months into course,made no friends

Started my art foundation course in September.Guess what? I’m lonely as hell.Its really depressing.Even the teachers see it,so they just smile.what am I supposed to do? I don’t wanna force a friendship in case someone thinks I’m too clingy.It was so much easier making friends in sixth form.i spend my lunch times alone and I’m so ready to leave the course but I need the qualifications.
is the content of the foundation course the sort of thing you could talk about with other students? Are you engaged with the subject and do you think the other students appear interested in the course content?

also, are the other students clique-y? just trying to get a better idea of the situation
Reply 2
Original post by Anonymous
is the content of the foundation course the sort of thing you could talk about with other students? Are you engaged with the subject and do you think the other students appear interested in the course content?

also, are the other students clique-y? just trying to get a better idea of the situation

I mean not sure what to talk about with them.At times I’m not engaged because we don’t much work in class and I get frustrated at times.yeah,I think others are quite engaged.Yes,a lot of cliques.
I mean not sure what to talk about with them.At times I’m not engaged because we don’t much work in class and I get frustrated at times.yeah,I think others are quite engaged.Yes,a lot of cliques.

I wonder is there anything you could do to become more engaged with the course? Sometimes the friendship/social side might suffer if there is a mis-match between your interest in the course and the others' interest in the course. If you were to enjoy the course more, would the friendship opportunities improve?
Started my art foundation course in September.Guess what? I’m lonely as hell.Its really depressing.Even the teachers see it,so they just smile.what am I supposed to do? I don’t wanna force a friendship in case someone thinks I’m too clingy.It was so much easier making friends in sixth form.i spend my lunch times alone and I’m so ready to leave the course but I need the qualifications.

Try and join a society or club! It might put you together with people who hold the same interests as you!

Have you tried talking to your coursemates? Chances are they're in the same situation but are too shy to speak out. Why not suggest grabbing a coffee before a lesson or put together a little study group? Body language is also key, be approachable, smile and initiate conversation. You never know where it may lead.

Does your university have a buddy scheme? If so, this may be worth applying for, Essentially it involves being put in touch with someone that has similar interests to you. They can show you around and attend events with you to make you feel more settled.

Also, look out for ice breaker events that your SU may host and join any clubs or societies that interest you. Having common ground with someone is a great conversation starter and could lead to a whole new friendship group.

Don't give up! :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by PoppyCain
Try and join a society or club! It might put you together with people who hold the same interests as you!

I have joint a society and so far there has been one meeting,however the day the meeting happened I was working and I didn’t have class that day
Reply 7
I wonder is there anything you could do to become more engaged with the course? Sometimes the friendship/social side might suffer if there is a mis-match between your interest in the course and the others' interest in the course. If you were to enjoy the course more, would the friendship opportunities improve?

I have tried to get involved in conversations and interact with others but they don’t seem to notice.

You wont make any friends for the rest of the 4 years that your on the course

Your better of leaving university
Reply 9
Original post by UniversityOfSunderland
Have you tried talking to your coursemates? Chances are they're in the same situation but are too shy to speak out. Why not suggest grabbing a coffee before a lesson or put together a little study group? Body language is also key, be approachable, smile and initiate conversation. You never know where it may lead.

Does your university have a buddy scheme? If so, this may be worth applying for, Essentially it involves being put in touch with someone that has similar interests to you. They can show you around and attend events with you to make you feel more settled.

Also, look out for ice breaker events that your SU may host and join any clubs or societies that interest you. Having common ground with someone is a great conversation starter and could lead to a whole new friendship group.

Don't give up! :smile:

I am covert certain there and a no one like that,everyone in in small groups.Im not the most foward person.no my university doesn’t have a buddy scheme

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending