The Student Room Group

Advice on failing adult nursing

Hi guys long story short,

I'm more than likely going to faik this year (Yr 2), and im just wondering what happens then? Can I go back and start year 2 again? Will I get funding from SFE again??
Reply 1
SFE usually fund a 4th year for failing one, however...
It depends on what you fail and how many attempts your university allows you. For example, where I trained (only qualified this year), student nurses get 3 attempts at academic work (in line with the rest if the university) and 2 attempts for placement; failing either 2nd attempt placement or 3rd attempt on a piece of academic work = withdrawn from course with no option to resist the year. Double check with your university whether this is the case there, too.
I'm at worcester and I think I'm going to fail placement. I had a mid point review yesterday and it was horrific and brutal. I agree with some points made but I also feel that people's mind has been made up and il not change they're opinion of me
Can anyone else please help
Original post by benladdie3000
I'm at worcester and I think I'm going to fail placement. I had a mid point review yesterday and it was horrific and brutal. I agree with some points made but I also feel that people's mind has been made up and il not change they're opinion of me

Have you spoken to your personal tutor about this? Have you got a plan in place to improve before the end of your placement?
Reply 5
Ok, please remember that this is midway and not final review. Clearly the placement have identified issues, some of which you've agreed that you need to work on and I really hope that you've worked with your mentor/supervisor to put an action plan into place.
As PheonixFortune has mentioned, talk to your personal tutor. I hope that Worcester also has tutors linked to different practice areas, and the placement area has practice education facilitators, all of whom you need to contact ASAP to help you get any issues resolved as well as action plans put in place.
Thanks for your help guys. Inn worst case scenario, could I apply at another university if I was to fail, and basically start from Yr 1 again
Thanks for your help guys. Inn worst case scenario, could I apply at another university if I was to fail, and basically start from Yr 1 again

Other universities may be concerned with your previous performance on your other course (assuming you'll apply for nursing again). You also may not get Student Finance funding for the entirety of your new course if you start in Year 1 again.

I think you should focus on improving in your current placement, but if you fail, do a reattempt rather than drop out.
Reply 8

horrid mid points are used to get you motivated. they are trying to draw your attention to areas that need to improve listern well.show interest. ask questions do stuff without being asked.and treat the patients well. these are usually the areas for a bad mid point. you would have tobe extremely bad for them to fail you showing no improvement.do not do this. the wife has had to refer only 1 student in 15 years. some have come close but they improved. we all had bad placements. remember why your there.
What were the concerns raised on placement?
Original post by imonmywaytonight
What were the concerns raised on placement?

that i dont help the hcas enough
Reply 11
and do you. its teamwork
that i dont help the hcas enough

That's easily remedied then. Just get stuck in more - don't let not knowing or awkwardness get in the way. I'm sure most HCAs would be grateful for the help and won't mind talking you through things.
Original post by paub
and do you. its teamwork

100% I do. I'm also a hca on bank still so have issues with the role.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
That's easily remedied then. Just get stuck in more - don't let not knowing or awkwardness get in the way. I'm sure most HCAs would be grateful for the help and won't mind talking you through things.

That's the issue here, I'm spending most of my time with them and have constantly asked to be more involved with nursing tasks, even the hcas I work with comment on it
That's the issue here, I'm spending most of my time with them and have constantly asked to be more involved with nursing tasks, even the hcas I work with comment on it

Then why does your main feedback contradict your apparent actions? I think you need to sit down with your placement educator/mentor and ask exactly what you need to do to provide proof of your actions each day.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending