The Student Room Group

Should yoga hurt?

I just had a yoga lesson and most of the things my teacher made me do I found painful is that normal or not? I’m very new this was only my second lesson.
Original post by jonathanemptage
I just had a yoga lesson and most of the things my teacher made me do I found painful is that normal or not? I’m very new this was only my second lesson.

There was actually a story about this on the BBC very recently regarding yoga teachers pushing things too far and doing a lot of musculoskeletal damage. I'll see if I can find it for you.

The short answer is 'no' - yoga should definitely not 'hurt'. You should only go so far as your current range of motion allows. Feeling a 'stretch' is fine; feeling 'pain' is a sign to stop and ease off the movement a bit. Don't 'compete' with other members of the group; go at your pace, not other people's
Original post by Reality Check
The short answer is 'no' - yoga should definitely not 'hurt'. You should only go so far as your current range of motion allows. Feeling a 'stretch' is fine; feeling 'pain' is a sign to stop and ease off the movement a bit. Don't 'compete' with other members of the group; go at your pace, not other people's

Yeah, I always get this advice, haha. The thing is, I never get the difference? Wtf is a "stretch" meant to feel like? 😂 I'm quite flexible but when I first do a certain "move"(not necessarily a yoga one) I'm definitely feel something, not sure if it's pain.😂

Sorry for the rant:laugh:
I don't know if yoga should hurt but for the first few sessions it certainly seems to.
Going by personal experience, talking to yoga instructors and friends who enjoy yoga.
One session of bikram yoga was more than enough for me, left me feeling horrendous for days.
Original post by Obolinda
Yeah, I always get this advice, haha. The thing is, I never get the difference? Wtf is a "stretch" meant to feel like? 😂 I'm quite flexible but when I first do a certain "move"(not necessarily a yoga one) I'm definitely feel something, not sure if it's pain.😂

Sorry for the rant:laugh:

Go to pick something off a high shelf you can't reach - that's a stretch. Or maybe sit on the floor and reach for something with straight legs that you can't quite get at. Again - a stretch.

Pain is sharper and more intense. I think any feeling that becomes more than slightly uncomfortable should be a sign to ease off. I take your point though - there's a blurring between a deep stretch and slight pain. You've just got to get used to what your body feels like, I guess.
Original post by londonmyst
I don't know if yoga should hurt but for the first few sessions it certainly seems to.
Going by personal experience, talking to yoga instructors and friends who enjoy yoga.
One session of bikram yoga was more than enough for me, left me feeling horrendous for days.

I felt like boiled sausage

Never went back again, was just trying to keep an open mind to spend QT with a cutie if you get me lol I'm more of a high intensity cardio guy for a workout, than yoga.
Pain not the outcome you are looking for, just gradual stretching.
Reply 8
If you are doing it with a Yogi up a mountain in India, yes

Anywhere else, no
It's weird because the first session was fine should I mention it to the instructor if i find it's causing me pain?
Reply 10
Original post by londonmyst

My PhD supervisor once regaled me with a tale of his trying yoga with a Brahmin yogi on a visit to India, and it leaving him asleep for 20 hours and in pain for a week

He did not attempt it again :laugh:
Next day - yes, it's normal at first.

During - no. If it hurts adjust your position. eg put your feet closer together; don't reach out/over as far; etc.
Original post by jonathanemptage
It's weird because the first session was fine should I mention it to the instructor if i find it's causing me pain?

Yes.

Quick Reply

Latest