The Student Room Group

Should I end it?

I've been dating this guy for just over a month, and I can honestly say that I am starting to fall for him - hard. He makes me feel differently than other guys I've been with; I can see myself lasting with him for a very long time. He makes me super happy & I love being with him. However, we have different religious views - I am a freethinker, and I do not wish to have a religion, ever. My parents too are freethinkers. He is religious, but not strict. His parents, however, are strict and they expect whoever he marries to convert too. I do not see myself doing that,, ever. Both because I would not want to + I know it would break my parents heart if I did. What should I do? Stay with him, knowing that I'll never marry him, or just end it? We are only in high school & I know that very few relationships at this age last till marriage, but I am an overthinker. Realistically, I know that I shouldn't worry but I'd just love some input from you guys on this.
In my opinion you should end it, especially if you want kids.
No offence, but I think you should leave him, I think that is what's best for both of you. You don't want to conform to any religion, and he is devoted to his. You'll find someone else.

Good luck op
Bearing in mind your different religious backgrounds, how compatible are you in:

How many children you want.
Your basic approach to raising children
Attitudes to the family finances and money
How you resolve conflict
Sexual compatibility
Equality in your future relationship

If you are confident you are compatible in all those areas you're marriage has a better chance of success than most.
If you are incompatible in one or more areas, it's very unlikely you will have a happy marriage. And that whilst both of you might be fine young adults, you'd both be better off with someone else.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I've been dating this guy for just over a month, and I can honestly say that I am starting to fall for him - hard. He makes me feel differently than other guys I've been with; I can see myself lasting with him for a very long time. He makes me super happy & I love being with him. However, we have different religious views - I am a freethinker, and I do not wish to have a religion, ever. My parents too are freethinkers. He is religious, but not strict. His parents, however, are strict and they expect whoever he marries to convert too. I do not see myself doing that,, ever. Both because I would not want to + I know it would break my parents heart if I did. What should I do? Stay with him, knowing that I'll never marry him, or just end it? We are only in high school & I know that very few relationships at this age last till marriage, but I am an overthinker. Realistically, I know that I shouldn't worry but I'd just love some input from you guys on this.

You're having a relationship with him, not his parents. If the 2 of you can resolve the difference and are happy, that's what counts.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending