The Student Room Group

Hospital volunteer interview

I have an interview tomorrow at a hospital for a "ward based role" I'm not sure what that means or what to expect, I don't know whether to dress casual or smart, what kind of questions might they ask?? I'm so out of the loop, any advice would be greatly appreciated x
Hi there!

In terms of dressing to fit in as a person in a ward-based role, I would personally suggest vaguely smart - so, smart trousers rather than jeans and no t shirt but a jumper/shirt/blouse. Vaguely smart shoes - no trainers. From the sound of it, it doesn't sound you need to go over the top in a full suit or anything!

Although probably not necessary if your interview is not on the actual ward, for the actual job itself, you would need to be bare below the elbows (i.e. have short sleeves, or long sleeves that have been rolled up to above your elbow) with no jewellery/watch on your wrist or fingers except one plain ring. So, you possibly might want to follow that. But like I said, if your interview isn't on the actual ward (I can't tell from your post if the interview is on the ward or not) then maybe not necessary.

Good luck for your interview!

Millie,
4th year medical student, official student rep of St George's University of London
Reply 2
Original post by St George's University of London
Hi there!

In terms of dressing to fit in as a person in a ward-based role, I would personally suggest vaguely smart - so, smart trousers rather than jeans and no t shirt but a jumper/shirt/blouse. Vaguely smart shoes - no trainers. From the sound of it, it doesn't sound you need to go over the top in a full suit or anything!

Although probably not necessary if your interview is not on the actual ward, for the actual job itself, you would need to be bare below the elbows (i.e. have short sleeves, or long sleeves that have been rolled up to above your elbow) with no jewellery/watch on your wrist or fingers except one plain ring. So, you possibly might want to follow that. But like I said, if your interview isn't on the actual ward (I can't tell from your post if the interview is on the ward or not) then maybe not necessary.

Good luck for your interview!

Millie,
4th year medical student, official student rep of St George's University of London

Thank you! This was so helpful and i feel a little less worried now.
I'm not quite sure where the interview will be, they haven't mentioned anything about the location or even the role in particular. Ward based is vaguely written somewhere in the email...
But I'll definitely wear something that can be rolled up just in case, and minimise jewelry, thanks again! X
Original post by summy003
Thank you! This was so helpful and i feel a little less worried now.
I'm not quite sure where the interview will be, they haven't mentioned anything about the location or even the role in particular. Ward based is vaguely written somewhere in the email...
But I'll definitely wear something that can be rolled up just in case, and minimise jewelry, thanks again! X

You're welcome!

How did your interview go?

Millie,
Reply 4
Original post by St George's University of London
You're welcome!

How did your interview go?

Millie,

Really well!! I've got a few different roles actually, way finder, mobility, activity and critical care volunteer and It was easier and way less scary than i thought, i I start next week and I'm well excited lol
Original post by summy003
Really well!! I've got a few different roles actually, way finder, mobility, activity and critical care volunteer and It was easier and way less scary than i thought, i I start next week and I'm well excited lol

That's made my day! I'm so pleased for you.

You must have performed well in your interview!

Excited for you too- some of the roles sound really interesting. Hope you enjoy it!

Millie,

Quick Reply

Latest