The Student Room Group

Do I need glasses?

I was sitting in the back of the classroom and couldn't see the board. It was fuzzy and I couldn't read without squinting. I told my mom and she took me to the eye doctor.

I had an eye exam and the smallest line I could read was the 6th line (20/30 if I remember correctly).

This is the prescription I got:

Right eye:
Sphere -0.75
Cylinder
Axis

Sphere -0.50
Cylinder -0.50
Axis 170

Does someone know what it means?

Do I really need glasses?

Is my eyesight bad?
Original post by Anonymous
I was sitting in the back of the classroom and couldn't see the board. It was fuzzy and I couldn't read without squinting. I told my mom and she took me to the eye doctor.

I had an eye exam and the smallest line I could read was the 6th line (20/30 if I remember correctly).

Right eye:
Sphere -0.75
Cylinder
Axis

Sphere -0.50
Cylinder -0.50
Axis 170

Is my eyesight bad?

No one here is really likely to be able to tell you anything. What did your optician say? If you're not sure, call and ask.
Reply 2
Probably.
Original post by Anonymous

Right eye:
Sphere -0.75
Cylinder
Axis

Sphere -0.50
Cylinder -0.50
Axis 170

Is my eyesight bad?

Good grief, that's about the weakest prescription you could have receieved! No, your eyes are far from 'bad' but you have a small degree of short-sightedness. This means that you can't properly focus on things a long way away (hence the writing on the board being a bit blurred).
On your optical prescription, the 'Sphere' relates to the power of the lens you need to correct your vision and roughly correlates with the degree of short-sightedness. -0.5 is the very smallest power lens you'd be able to have made up, and most people wouldn't even bother with such a low power lens. To give you an idea, a very short sighted person might have a power of -3.0 or more.

The cylinder relates to a correction for astigmatism, which is where your eyeball is more rugby-ball shaped than it should be. Again, there is only a very, very small degree of astigmatism in your right eye - the 'axis' just refers to how the cylinder should be positioned in the lens.

So basically you have a tiny degree of short-sightedness which most people wouldn't bother correcting. However, if you find it easier to read the board with corrective lenses made up to this prescription by all means go ahead and have some lenses made up. But don't worry that you're going blind or something!
In agreement with Reality Check,I believe you currently have a very low prescription.But that may change,given time.If you are now 11 years old or younger,you could have an eye grade of more than -3.0 and a higher amount of astigmatism once eye stops growing. As for now,I think you should get glasses,as one eye is at least -0.75.But you currently do not need glasses,other than to see things further away,say, beyond about 1.3 meters.

Quick Reply

Latest