The Student Room Group

How to be a better public speaker

Hello,

I sometimes struggle in social situations,i.e. when maintaining a conversation with someone (let alone giving a speech to a whole audience).

Do you have any tips on how I can be a more confident and well articulated public speaker?

Thank you.
Reply 1
I would say staying calm and collected is key and I know that easier said than done , but what often helps is when you sort of tell yourself "what the hell its fine you know what you're saying you've got this" , just sort of breath relax your body and just try to get into a state of speaking like when your speaking to a small group of friends or family
also if you are speaking to an audience there is nothing wrong with having some flashcards with a couple of bullet points jotted down something you can glance over if you kinda lose your train of thought when speaking or get a bit lost/ off track
I also feel like doing that keeps you more calm because beforehand then your going through all those worries in your head like what if I mess up forget what to say, knowing that you have something there just in case can be quite reassuring and relieving
practise to yourself in the mirror watch other peoples speeches( such as a UN ambassador a politician ) online to kinda gain inspiration on how they present there views and finally its important for you to feel confident in what topic or view your presenting a deep routed passion for a particular subject/topic is often reflected naturally upon presenting your speech and really allows an audience to engage and consider you a well rounded articulated speaker
hope this helps x
Hello

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending