The Student Room Group

keep thinking of my parents dying.

ysesterday my dad wasnt picking calls and got worried thinking ima get a call saying hes dead or something and i would be mentally ****ed. fail my alevels and life in general. or anyhting happens to my mom :frown:

ik i sound horrible for saying this but its scary af.
Original post by Anonymous
ysesterday my dad wasnt picking calls and got worried thinking ima get a call saying hes dead or something and i would be mentally ****ed. fail my alevels and life in general. or anyhting happens to my mom :frown:

ik i sound horrible for saying this but its scary af.

I think it's very common to have anxiety about your parents dying. I worried about my Mum dying when I was a teenager. My Mum did die- but not till I was 49! So all that anxiety was a waste of my energy. If the worry is paralysing you it might be good to talk to someone about it. I am an anxious person and I have had to develop lots of strategies to help myself: The thing that helped me to be less anxious was to realise that I don't have to believe my thoughts. I learned to meditate- to let go of the negative thoughts and that helped me a lot. There's a really good teacher called Byron Katie. She says when you are anxious about something you ask yourself the question: Is this true?. So if you think: My Mum is going to die and I am going to fail my A levels. Firstly you ask: Is this true? Well it's not true. It's just a fear. You can't know for sure that this is going to happen. In fact the likelihood is it will never come true. And then you ask: Who would I be if I didn't believe this to be true? Usually the answer to this is: you'd be free from worry. It can be quite helpful if you feel your mind spiralling off into worry. If I am really anxious I also try and get out of my head and into my body: go outside, feel your feet on the ground, as if you had big old roots growing out of your feet into the earth like a tree. Then breathe and feel the air on your skin. Just two minutes breathing deeply can reset your brain. Also remember that everyone feels like this. Say to yourself: This is suffering. Everyone has this suffering. Then put your hand on your heart and soothe yourself as if you were a small child: It's ok sweetie- it's all going to be OK. Find what works for you. Then say thank you that you are safe and your parents are safe and live your life. It's all going to be fine.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending