The Student Room Group

Quitting Access course

I'm 4 months into my access course and I'm not getting the grades I need for uni. I have a daily battle with myself about whether or not to stick it out. I have 4 young children and no support at home. The past 7 years have been spent gaining experience in the field I want to go into, but it now feels like it was all for nothing if I'm not academic enough. I've spent the last few days in tears because I can't decide what is the best thing to do. Has anyone else been in a similar situation?
Original post by Upsydaisy92
I'm 4 months into my access course and I'm not getting the grades I need for uni. I have a daily battle with myself about whether or not to stick it out. I have 4 young children and no support at home. The past 7 years have been spent gaining experience in the field I want to go into, but it now feels like it was all for nothing if I'm not academic enough. I've spent the last few days in tears because I can't decide what is the best thing to do. Has anyone else been in a similar situation?

Sorry to hear it hasnt gone as expected.
You will need to think about why this is?

1. Not enough prep.
2. Not ready for the demands?
3. Not enough time or well organised?
4. Cant cope with the pressure?
5. Cant cope with the work?

You need to be asking yourself the following questions:

1. Can you repair/ improve now and get what you need?That means working hard and making time. I dont know the grades, but if you are only passing, its not enough.
2. If not do you think time off and improvements would give you a chance to have the skills you need? Most study skills can be learnt. Maybe not for the top passes, but prep, focus and working hard should get you reasonable passes.
3. If you are sure you cant and you have some feedback on that, then find something else.
4. If you think you can improve over time and still want that target job, then dont give up. You only get funded for access once.
5. Consider seeing the GP and developing a MH issue that forces you to drop out. Get this well documented.
6. You cna get funding again if you show you had mh issues such that they amlkounted to compelling personal reasons which caused you to fail.
7. If awarded CPR you get the finance back and then study/ prepare so next time you have the study skills and know what you are doing , so you know you will pass.
8. By some accounts ive seen on TSR for the tougher courses a high % of access students drop out , so it isnt just you.
9. Dont lose hope, just understand whats gone on, why and then assess what you want and how to make it happen.

Good luck.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending