The Student Room Group

Is this laptop good?

Hi

So i need a new laptop
it needs to be windows 10 (not 10s)
i need it to do work including downloading web editors like atom or brackets and also unity (the game engine thing)
the 2 laptops i have in mind are:
HYPA Flux 11in Celeron 4GB 64GB

ASUS VivoBook 15 15.6in Pentium 4GB 256GB FHD Laptop

which one would you get/why?

FYI- im kind of wary of the hypa one because i dont recognise the brands and theres not a single review on it???weird huh

All help welcome! thanks
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by smartiecookie
Hi

So i need a new laptop
i need it to do work including downloading web editors like atom or brackets and also unity (the game engine thing)

FYI- im kind of wary of the hypa one because i dont recognise the brands and theres not a single review on it???weird huh

All help welcome! thanks

both of these are ok for doing web stuff but for running unity, it depends on what u want to do in unity.if its some super heavy stuff then i think none of them is suitable for it cuz both have integrated gpus
d

Original post by papie
both of these are ok for doing web stuff but for running unity, it depends on what u want to do in unity.if its some super heavy stuff then i think none of them is suitable for it cuz both have integrated gpus

could u reccomend me a laptop
if you can find a similar laptop with a thunderbolt 3 port you can run an external GPU, costing less for the same power.
you'd need the laptop (with a thunderbolt port, so not the ones you have listed)
a housing for the gpu (there are lots, as well as ones that come with a gpu included)
and a gpu (like a gtx 1660 or something)

that would allow for all the portability of the laptop, with the ability to run heavy unity stuff with the external GPU
Reply 4
d

i would actually recommend a tower
Reply 5
d

if u want a good laptop, then it depends on ur budget.
Original post by papie
if u want a good laptop, then it depends on ur budget.

i could stretch to 300 max
i could stretch to 300 max

then perish.
You aren't getting a phone for that much, how do you expect to get a laptop?
some cheap laptops you can get for that much, but they will struggle to run anything sizeable in unity.
Reply 8
Hi

So i need a new laptop

All help welcome! thanks

i found this laptop for 300usd: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R3HGZKF/ref=dp_cerb_1?th=1
processor is clocked at 3.7gHz has 1tb hard drive but has a crappy gpu.
Original post by papie
i found this laptop for 300usd: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07R3HGZKF/ref=dp_cerb_1?th=1
processor is clocked at 3.7gHz has 1tb hard drive but has a crappy gpu.

that's borderline ok for running unity. ideally you'd want something faster with an SSD, twice the RAM, and a dedicated GPU but OP's budget doesn't allow for that.

OP should avoid both laptops in the original question, neither will cut it.

also, clock speed doesn't mean everything, how many threads also means something but this wholly depends on what you will do. rule of thumb I say 4 or more threads (generally = 4 cores but can also come from 2 cores if cpu supports two threads per core). many modern CPUs also have a lower clock speed (think 1.6GHz) but can turbo high (think 3.7GHz)
Reply 10
Original post by Kaspar Ambühl
that's borderline ok for running unity. ideally you'd want something faster with an SSD, twice the RAM, and a dedicated GPU but OP's budget doesn't allow for that.

OP should avoid both laptops in the original question, neither will cut it.

also, clock speed doesn't mean everything, how many threads also means something but this wholly depends on what you will do. rule of thumb I say 4 or more threads (generally = 4 cores but can also come from 2 cores if cpu supports two threads per core). many modern CPUs also have a lower clock speed (think 1.6GHz) but can turbo high (think 3.7GHz)

thats the best u can find for this budget if u switch to intel it gets too expensive reaching min of 500 usd. so i recommend a tower.
Original post by FAZE Phluid
then perish.
You aren't getting a phone for that much, how do you expect to get a laptop?
some cheap laptops you can get for that much, but they will struggle to run anything sizeable in unity.

Lol, im not made of money fam
Reply 12
Original post by papie
thats the best u can find for this budget if u switch to intel it gets too expensive reaching min of 500 usd. so i recommend a tower.

I would 100% agree. A tower would be so much more cost-efficient and you'd also have ability to upgrade components over time. You wouldn't get anywhere near something that's worth it in a laptop. Just as an idea for specs I'd recommend:
Ryzen 3 3200g £79 (gonna have to work in £ sorry)
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/AMD-Ryzen-3200G-Processor-Graphics/dp/B07STGHZK8/ref=sr_1_1?crid=19FXZZQ3M16ZC&keywords=ryzen+3+3200g&qid=1581024752&sprefix=ryzen+3+%2Caps%2C145&sr=8-1
8GB DDR4 RAM £40
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-CMK8GX4M2A2666C16-Vengeance-Performance-Desktop/dp/B0123ZB70Q/ref=sr_1_9?crid=2GS51ZWAUOMRS&keywords=8gb+ddr4&qid=1581024807&sprefix=8gb+%2Caps%2C161&sr=8-9
240GB SSD £33
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/SanDisk-PLUS-Sata-Inch-Internal/dp/B01F9G43WU/ref=sr_1_3?keywords=ssd&qid=1581024836&sr=8-3&th=1
550W PSU £41
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/Corsair-VS550-Active-Certified-Supply/dp/B078XXNC3J/ref=sr_1_3?crid=5FQT1UGIT9IT&keywords=500w+psu&qid=1581024873&sprefix=500w%2Caps%2C153&sr=8-3
MOBO $42
https://smile.amazon.co.uk/ASROCK-A320M-HDV-R4-0-MATX-DVI-D/dp/B07MNSP7PB/ref=sr_1_4?crid=2WPP13SZZZ2Q4&keywords=am4+motherboard&qid=1581025040&sprefix=am4%2Caps%2C161&sr=8-4
Total £235 which is about $303
That'd be your internals and you'd just need peripherals on top. Save up and get a dedicated GPU and you're genuinely good. Do a bit of decent gaming on it too.
Reply 13

that's some kick a** custom rig u just made lol
Reply 14
i know that i am replying late but DO NOT BUY THIS LAPTOP i bought the green pentium hypa laptop that comes with minecraft and right of the bat i could tell the laptop was slow, and not only that but it dosent suppourt 5ghz wifi connection which is crucial. This meant the laptop was built with old parts for around £65 to £85 and there selling the laptops for £150 to £250 if you get the pentium version which acctually started of at £200 pounds, please dont make the same mistake as me buying thhis laptop its litteral trash put together and one of the worst parts is that it dosent have a fan like wtf, how bad does a laptop get, anyways hopefully you didnt buy it and you read this.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending