The Student Room Group

University Qualifications

I am currently doing 7 GCSEs, but I am planning on doing 4 A levels. I would like to study medicine in the future and I am unsure if the number of GCSEs I am taking is too little for what the top universities are looking for. Any advice on what I should do would be appreciated.
What was the average number of gcses the students at your secondary school have?
Reply 2
Original post by PetitePanda
What was the average number of gcses the students at your secondary school have?

I attend a pre-16 college, the maximum amount of GCSEs you can do every year are 4. It is possible to do 4 in year 9, 10 and 11 which would total 12 but that is only in rare circumstances. I was home educated previously and I did not get the option to do the 4 in year 9. I have dropped a GCSE, which I now regret, so instead of doing a total of 8, I am doing a total of 7. I'd say the average number of GCSEs students in my pre-16 college are taking are 5-6 altogether.
Original post by iiethanx
I attend a pre-16 college, the maximum amount of GCSEs you can do every year are 4. It is possible to do 4 in year 9, 10 and 11 which would total 12 but that is only in rare circumstances. I was home educated previously and I did not get the option to do the 4 in year 9. I have dropped a GCSE, which I now regret, so instead of doing a total of 8, I am doing a total of 7. I'd say the average number of GCSEs students in my pre-16 college are taking are 5-6 altogether.

You'll be fine with 7 GCSE grades because universities take your school into consideration but also the fact you've been homeschool as well.
Reply 4
Original post by PetitePanda
You'll be fine with 7 GCSE grades because universities take your school inTto consideration but also the fact you've been homeschool as well.

Thank you so much, I have been worrying about this for a while as I have noticed other students my age are doing around 10 GCSEs. I am glad that universities will hopefully be able to understand my reasons for being unable to attend school.
Original post by iiethanx
Thank you so much, I have been worrying about this for a while as I have noticed other students my age are doing around 10 GCSEs. I am glad that universities will hopefully be able to understand my reasons for being unable to attend school.

Well unis expect people may not have access to do 10 so they look at what school you went to and see that many people do different amounts. They cant expect every applicant to have 10 gcses - it would just prevent people from applying, which would decrease the progression rates that the government want to improve

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending