The Student Room Group

Help me with my grade requirements with EPQ

I have an offer from my preferred university which was unfortunately not lowered due to my EPQ grade A (offer is A*AA). I also have offers from my other choices, but the one I prefer most of these only lowers my requirements (due to EPQ) from A*AA if I make them my firm choice, which I won't do and therefore it is currently a useless offer.

The thing is, they would lower it by two grades (to AAB). Is it worth contacting them to ask for a single grade drop instead (to AAA) with them as my insurance choice? If not, why not? It can't hurt anything, especially as if they don't lower then I won't make them a choice at all, right?

Also, far less likely, but is it worth asking my preferred university to give me a single grade drop (to AAA) now that I have my official EPQ grade A, given that I make them my firm choice? Can they do anything negative to my offer just because I ask for something like that?

Thanks!
(edited 4 years ago)
Original post by Wilson1218
I have an offer from my preferred university which was unfortunately not lowered due to my EPQ grade A (offer is A*AA). I also have offers from my other choices, but the one I prefer most of these only lowers my requirements (due to EPQ) from A*AA if I make them my firm choice, which I won't do and therefore it is currently a useless offer.

The thing is, they would lower it by two grades (to AAB). Is it worth contacting them to ask for a single grade drop instead (to AAA) with them as my insurance choice? If not, why not? It can't hurt anything, especially as if they don't lower then I won't make them a choice at all, right?

Also, far less likely, but is it worth asking my preferred university to give me a single grade drop (to AAA) now that I have my official EPQ grade A, given that I make them my firm choice? Can they do anything negative to my offer just because I ask for something like that?

Thanks!

There is no point asking universities to drop grades. You know what the conditions are and it is up to you to meet them. If you cant you need to be realistic and look for universities where you do meet the conditions of the offer.

However most universities in practice accept a grade drop or 2 on results day. This is not guaranteed but that is generally what happens in practice. Universities like Oxbridge, Imperial and LSE tend not to accept dropped grades. Whether universities accept dropped grades depends on the number of other students reaching their grades so nobody will be able to answer at this stage.

Basically if you meet the terms of your firm offer you get in. If you dont it is down to the university whether to accept you. If they dont it goes to your insurance to make their decision. If rejected by both you enter clearing.

It never ceases to amaze me that student think they can somehow negotiate with universities. You and others are made offers it is up to you to meet them.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending