The Student Room Group

Friends at university

It's almost the end of term 2 and I feel like I have wasted a year of my life. I have friends yes but like I hardly go out they all have good relationships with their flatmates so they go out with them. I am just stuck in my room with no one. I feel so lonely and depressed about this I don't know what to do.
What can I do to make more friends?
Original post by Anonymous
It's almost the end of term 2 and I feel like I have wasted a year of my life. I have friends yes but like I hardly go out they all have good relationships with their flatmates so they go out with them. I am just stuck in my room with no one. I feel so lonely and depressed about this I don't know what to do.

Is there anyone on your course you get on well with?

Also look at societies and sports clubs. You might have missed the freshers rush to join, but they’ll always be looking for new members. And the point is you get to learn something new or are meeting people who already share an interest with you. There may even be a society dedicated to people who feel lonely, so you’ll all be in the same boat. Have a chat with a student union rep and they’ll point you in the right direction.
Original post by Anonymous

Hey!

I'm sorry to hear you're feeling this way, it can be so hard to build strong friendships. Have you thought about joining a club or society at the university, or getting involved in an activity outside of uni? How about becoming a student ambassador, or undertaking a volunteering opportunity? That might be a nice way to meet new people and make friends.

I think it's a good idea to try and keep yourself busy, how about taking up a new hobby? Blogging, hiking, baking, painting? Or even getting some university work out of the way. Can you meet up with any of your friends from back home or organise something nice to do with family?

I know people who didn't make their real friendships at uni until their third year, and I know people who don't meet their friends for life until later on in life, when they've got a job after graduating - so I wouldn't worry too much about it, there's a lot of people in the same boat.

Good luck with everything, let me know if you have any questions.

Becky

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending