The Student Room Group

Accommodation

I am considering moving out but am worried about the people I am going to have to live with?All girls or Mixed? What is best?
Reply 1
What in particular are you worried about?

What is best is entirely down to you. For some people, mixed is best as you get to break out of your shell a little and get to spend time with/get to know some people of the opposite gender, something which they may have not had the experience of before. For others, single gender is best as living away from home is a big jump, and they would feel a little more comfortable coming to their halls/wherever and be with the same gender.

Also moving out is always a big jump which scares a lot of people, if not all. Who you live with will always be a risk- how are you meant to truly know what the people are like until you live with them? You could get one of the horror roommates, or someone that will become your best friend. I know some unis (such as Exeter) have quiz type things that you fill out when you apply for accomodation and they pair you with people of similar interests, whether you like to go out and party or not, whether you like quiet or noise. Also most usually have the option on the accomdation form to indicate whether you'd prefer a quiet flat or a noisy one (albeit, there are no promises that your neighbours will be of the same preference), and some even offer alcohol free dorms if that's what you like.

All in all, I think to move out into university accomodation would be a good experience- what are the chances in the future that you get to move out, but still come and live at home for a few weeks before going back again? In my opinion, it is a good stepping stone to when you move out for your job.

Hope some of this helps out :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending