The Student Room Group

Have I chosen suitable A level options?

So I'm in the final stretch of my GCSEs, I had to hand in my A level subject choices at the end of last half term but I can always just email in if I have a major change of heart. The subjects I chose are:

Art & Design: Textiles
Computer Science
Maths
Further Maths

reserves: D.T and Physics..

Further Maths isn't something I'm 100% keen on taking, I mainly chose it instead of an EPQ but I might swap it out as I'm more interested in the design side of architecture over the engineering which I head Further Maths is helpful for.

I don't know whether to take Textiles because when I spoke to a few of my teachers, they told me to take D.T instead. I don't mind taking either, I enjoy both equally.

As for Physics, I'd swap it Computer Science if I absolutely had to but I prefer Comp. Sci. by far.
Reply 1
Honestly I started with further maths in yr 12 (and I did well at gcse with a 9 in maths and A* in further) but it honestly got so much doing further maths as well as my other three which were maths computer science and music. If you aren’t 100% sure on further maths I’d probably go for something else as. Or does your school give you time to start on your original 4 and then swap them around that way you can give them a go and change your mind if you don’t want to. I did EPQ as well and I really enjoyed it - I hate essays but this was acc quite fun bc it gave me the opportunity to research something I’ve always been interested in. In the end it’s best to just pick what you enjoy because it’s gonna be a long and hard 2 years so might as well be doing something you enjoy.
If you want to do architecture, then DT would be more helpful than Textiles. Since you enjoy both equally, that makes it sensible to switch to DT
Reply 3
Original post by Elmo127
Honestly I started with further maths in yr 12 (and I did well at gcse with a 9 in maths and A* in further) but it honestly got so much doing further maths as well as my other three which were maths computer science and music. If you aren’t 100% sure on further maths I’d probably go for something else as. Or does your school give you time to start on your original 4 and then swap them around that way you can give them a go and change your mind if you don’t want to. I did EPQ as well and I really enjoyed it - I hate essays but this was acc quite fun bc it gave me the opportunity to research something I’ve always been interested in. In the end it’s best to just pick what you enjoy because it’s gonna be a long and hard 2 years so might as well be doing something you enjoy.

With my school, once the timetable has been made in a way that works, It can often be really difficult to swap subjects around but with EPQs and A levels here, if you do 4 a levels you can't do an EPQ as it is considered too much work but if you do 3 A levels, you have to do an EPQ. I've heard from a classmate that one of their siblings did 4 A levels including Further Maths, then dropped it and was told to do an EPQ instead which I might do so I atleast get to see if I'm in interested or not without having to commit to it for 2 years regardless.
Reply 4
Original post by SkyRunner61
If you want to do architecture, then DT would be more helpful than Textiles. Since you enjoy both equally, that makes it sensible to switch to DT

I just want to be 100% sure because I spoke to my Textiles teacher and she said that due to small class sizes as it isn't that popular of an A level, the projects could be a little more focused so I still express my interest in architecture from a different angle, I don't know if that would work well though.

If I could take both, I would but that just seems like a lot of unnecessary coursework lined up for myself. I really love both subjects so I'm really struggling with this decision.

Previous conversations with my teachers for both subjects have told me that I'd do really well in the A level course with my D.T teacher even going as far as to tell me that some of the coursework I've produced so far has been "A level standard work"

I might have a few more conversations with the staff at my school to see what they think.
I picked fine art, art craft and design, and photography. Depending what sort of architecture course you want to do, I went for art based architecture courses which only needs a 4 in GCSE mathematics and would highly like an art course in a level, I like maths but art is something i love.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending