The Student Room Group

How would you feel if your instructor said you wont get your licence?

I mean like you were that bad and you had to give up. One of my instructors said it to me and it put me pretty down for a few days and it still made me worry to this day but it was a year ago nearly. People think you can just go 'I cant drive but who cares' but no it really isnt that simple. Its going to be harder in life if you cant drive because public transport sucks.

My teacher laughed at me when I said Im worried I wont be able to drive her words were, 'you leg isnt going to fall off', 'its not the end of the world". It felt like she was mocking me because I was proper down about it and she was smiling, saying that and she knew well that its very important to me being able to drive. I think it is to everyone because it is a skill most people need. No offence to people who cant drive though.
change instructors.
Original post by xelliexx223
change instructors.

What about if the new instructor said that as well
Original post by David Platt
What about if the new instructor said that as well

driving is not impossible. everybody can learn to drive if they are determined. it may take 20 lessons or it may take 100 lessons, driving is a skill which can be learnt over time.

if your instructor is not patient and says that kind of stuff they probably shouldn't be an instructor.
Reply 4
Hello. It took me about 3-4 years to pass my driving test (started learning on my 17th birthday) and I failed 4-5 times before passing. I went through 4 instructors and one of my instructors said to me that I am by far his worst student, I need the most attention, would make me feel so uncomfortable during my lessons and said it would be a miracle for me to pass my driving test! The other instructor would swear at me, grab the steering wheel and look at me in disgust whenever I made a mistake. Yet, here I am, have had a driving license for over two years and I have driven all over the UK, parts of Europe and a very small part of the Caribbean without any sort of accident under my belt. I was told constantly why don't I try and learn in an automatic? Like to say I'm not good enough to drive a manual car! Prove people around you wrong, there is nothing sweeter than when everyone doubts you and it turns out they were wrong! No one (except my dad and my final instructor) thought I could pass my driving test and wasn't it such an amazing feeling when I passed!

Find a new instructor, if your new instructor says the same thing then look for a new one. You ARE capable of driving. Don't give up. Ask your friends who they are learning with or go onto social media to see who people recommend in your area! If you're in the Birmingham area - I can recommend you the guy who I passed with. It's so important you find an instructor who you feel comfortable with.
Are you able to have private lessons with your parents or someone? I didn't have this opportunity unfortunately but you might and it does help. Ignore unhelpful comments from your peers and teachers, I felt like a lot of my friends couldn't relate to how I was feeling as they passed first time!
I don't know if you suffer with anxiety but I replied to a post a while ago on this forum, feel free to read. I'll leave the link at the end of this (if TSR allows it)

I know I've rambled a lot but I just want you to know there are people out there who were once in your shoes. I always told myself I'd rather be the guy who never gave up and proved people wrong than a guy who everyone thought couldn't drive and proved them right. If I can pass (trust me, I was absolutely awful and I would often cry after my driving lessons as I wasn't getting anywhere) then you can too! Feel free to message me if you want to chat.

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6315290&p=86893122#post86893122

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending