The Student Room Group

The Tesco thread.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by snikutsmullac
Once again, I have been rejected. This is the 33rd job I've been rejected from. Nobody tries harder than me to get a job, yet everybody else gets one...

Don't worry, your time will come! :smile: Just think of how high youth unemployment is! You will get there eventually :h: A friend of mine who couldn't secure a job at a supermarket type place tried tutoring and she says the pay isn't bad at all...worth a shot perhaps? (Tutoring with one of those companies, not independently).

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by x-Sophie-x
Don't worry, your time will come! :smile: Just think of how high youth unemployment is! You will get there eventually :h: A friend of mine who couldn't secure a job at a supermarket type place tried tutoring and she says the pay isn't bad at all...worth a shot perhaps? (Tutoring with one of those companies, not independently).

Posted from TSR Mobile

I didn't expect to get it in fairness, it's just so hard finding something! I know that there is a job somewhere for me, it's just actually getting it :tongue:

Tutoring? I never thought of that. I can't see myself being a tutor, I'll research it..
I didn't expect to get it in fairness, it's just so hard finding something! I know that there is a job somewhere for me, it's just actually getting it :tongue:

Tutoring? I never thought of that. I can't see myself being a tutor, I'll research it..

Yep I used to tutor some kids Spanish and Chemistry. Easy to do, and you don't have to worry about shifts. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Yep I used to tutor some kids Spanish and Chemistry. Easy to do, and you don't have to worry about shifts. :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile

I wouldn't even know where to begin! What do you do, just put an advertisement in the local newspaper or join an agency or what?

I've applied for more jobs at Tesco... eight of them.
I wouldn't even know where to begin! What do you do, just put an advertisement in the local newspaper or join an agency or what?

I've applied for more jobs at Tesco... eight of them.

I did this independently, and yes I put an ad in my local shop. I was surprised at how many people wanted tutoring, and how much they were willing to pay! :L

Wow, that's dedication. Good luck!

For those of you that do work at Tesco, on my payslip it says under tax "USDAW: £1.41"- does anyone know what this is? o.O
I did this independently, and yes I put an ad in my local shop. I was surprised at how many people wanted tutoring, and how much they were willing to pay! :L

For those of you that do work at Tesco, on my payslip it says under tax "USDAW: £1.41"- does anyone know what this is? o.O

What kind of age were the people that you taught? I'm guessing quite old,

Did you join the Tesco union? I think that's what that is, you have to pay to join it.

What kind of age were the people that you taught? I'm guessing quite old, if you did Chem and Spanish. Can I ask what kind of money you earnt?

Did you join the Tesco union? I think that's what that is, you have to pay to join it.
What kind of age were the people that you taught? I'm guessing quite old,

There were some kids in year 7 and 8 and some GCSE students too :smile: I got paid between £7 and £13 per hour.

No I never joined the union.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 10 years ago)
I had a transfer meeting a week ago and have not heard anything since. A guy I know heard back on Thursday last week from the same store but a different role.

What do you think guys should I give them a call or just wait?

For internal do they email you if unsuccessful (they have not email by the way)
How 'easy' are the tills to operate in Tesco?
I'm so happy, I found a job :')
Life begins today.
Original post by xLilMiss
How 'easy' are the tills to operate in Tesco?

Once you've used them twice, you're more confident on tills but they are really easy to use as long as you don't have to get the barcodes for individual rolls - absolute nightmare!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 1132
Original post by johnmuir
Once you've used them twice, you're more confident on tills but they are really easy to use as long as you don't have to get the barcodes for individual rolls - absolute nightmare!!

Posted from TSR Mobile

This post totally. Bakery items are the work of the devil. other than that the software updates were rolled out a while back so theres even little images now of the fruit and veg! easy peasy for product recognition, no excuse for mixing up your courgettes with your aubergines! hardest bit about tills is deciding whether its appropriate to ask for ID or not, I've asked 28 year olds and stuff and felt like a right tool afterwards haha
Haha I had my till training the other day and it wasn't so bad. I have no idea about cigarettes though and the lottery is just plain weird but I'm sure I'll get used to all that in due time.
I'm also wondering (sorry about the double post!) what a 'step up' is. I hope I've got the term right but I was talking to someone the other day and they said how they were a 'step up', not a customer assistant but not quite a team leader? I was wondering what their role was exactly and what the title actually meant? lol
Reply 1135
Hi everyone. I've worked at Tesco for about 8 years now, im currently a team leader working on the non-food department in my store. I signed onto the Options programme to develop as a manager last year, and am just about nearing the end of the scheme. I was wondering, well more of a hoping, that somebody in this thread could give me some advice on the sign-off interview? What kind of things do you get asked? What's the structure of the interview?

Any help would be fantastic?

Also if there's anything anybody wants to ask me, ill answer as best as I can. Thanks.
Reply 1136
Original post by xLilMiss
I'm also wondering (sorry about the double post!) what a 'step up' is. I hope I've got the term right but I was talking to someone the other day and they said how they were a 'step up', not a customer assistant but not quite a team leader? I was wondering what their role was exactly and what the title actually meant? lol

A bit late with the reply but a "Step up" is a useful way of seeing if someone has the potential to take on a bigger role, such as a Team Leader. Putting it simply its being given more responsibilities and exposing you to different aspects of the business and seeing how you get on. The term "Bubbling under" might also pop up.
So for todays pay day do we get paid fro week 44 to week 47 or week 45 to week 48 (that's including week 48) ?

PLEASE HELP AS A BIT CONFUSED
Original post by Ubiquitous
Hello, I have seen a lot of questions about Tesco in this forum so I have decided to post a thread where you can ask me questions about the world's third largest retailer. I will do my best to answer as fully as I can, but please be aware that we are a huge business, so I simply might not know the answer - but if it is important I will endeavour to find out off one of my colleagues.

I started with Tesco on the graduate in-store programme, so I would be happy to help with any questions about that as well.

So for todays pay day do we get paid fro week 44 to week 47 or week 45 to week 48 (that's including week 48) ?

PLEASE HELP AS A BIT CONFUSED!
Original post by Stacy88
Hi everyone. I've worked at Tesco for about 8 years now, im currently a team leader working on the non-food department in my store. I signed onto the Options programme to develop as a manager last year, and am just about nearing the end of the scheme. I was wondering, well more of a hoping, that somebody in this thread could give me some advice on the sign-off interview? What kind of things do you get asked? What's the structure of the interview?

Any help would be fantastic?

Also if there's anything anybody wants to ask me, ill answer as best as I can. Thanks.

How to do progress from customer assistant to team leader?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending