The Student Room Group

True love possible at 16/17?

I feel like I’m head over heels in love with a girl, we’ve been going out for 8 months.

Is it the real thing!

Scroll to see replies

Romeo & Juliet managed it younger
Reply 2
Original post by Roses & Dreams x
Romeo & Juliet managed it younger

That’s true

We’ve even discussed marriage but I know this isn’t likely to happen. We get on so well and have never had a fight but ik that could change.

I just want to hear peoples opinions and how long relationships usually last
Original post by Anonymous
That’s true

We’ve even discussed marriage but I know this isn’t likely to happen. We get on so well and have never had a fight but ik that could change.

:rofl: I didn't mean to sound rude about the Romeo and Juliet thing btw, sorry if it came across that way.

Anything is possible in the future if you love each other, and by the sounds of it you're both extremely happy.

Relationships last however long you put your heart into them, they only ever diminish when the light disappears from love. If you both remain loyal to each other and share every moment of joy, treasure every precious memory, then you will thrive and blossom. I honestly wish you the best of luck, and hope that the relationship lasts.
Reply 4
Original post by Roses & Dreams x
:rofl: I didn't mean to sound rude about the Romeo and Juliet thing btw, sorry if it came across that way.

Anything is possible in the future if you love each other, and by the sounds of it you're both extremely happy.

Relationships last however long you put your heart into them, they only ever diminish when the light disappears from love. If you both remain loyal to each other and share every moment of joy, treasure every precious memory, then you will thrive and blossom. I honestly wish you the best of luck, and hope that the relationship lasts.

Thanks a lot mate I hope so!
No it’s not. Love is a fictitious thing created by man. This world knows no love. What it knows is only infatuation and lust.

True love is only found in fairytales.
No it’s not. Love is a fictitious thing created by man. This world knows no love. What it knows is only infatuation and lust.

True love is only found in fairytales.

Either that or you've never lived a life that seems like a fairytale
Very unlikely, but there is no reason it should be impossible. I know one couple who have been together since that age. One. And they are only 23/24, so there is a long time to go before we can say they loved eachother 'till death they did part, unless Coronavirus has something to say about things.
That’s true

No one can give you a guarantee on how long relationships usually last. Anything can go wrong at any age.
marriage is hard work. Not to be given up on.
mix it possible to stay together at 16? Yes. Possible but not very likely. You both have a lot of growing up to do and uni etc can separate you. How much you want to stay together is down to the two of you
but as an example, I met my hubby before I was 20 and we’ve been together 30 years
Reply 9
Original post by Sammylou40
No one can give you a guarantee on how long relationships usually last. Anything can go wrong at any age.
marriage is hard work. Not to be given up on.
mix it possible to stay together at 16? Yes. Possible but not very likely. You both have a lot of growing up to do and uni etc can separate you. How much you want to stay together is down to the two of you
but as an example, I met my hubby before I was 20 and we’ve been together 30 years

Woah that’s goals

You and ur husband are goals real talk.
Woah that’s goals

You and ur husband are goals real talk.

Ty
Yes tbh
Possible, but unlikely.
Possible but quite rare.
That said, my maternal grandmother remains convinced that she chose true love as a teenager and says that she has no regrets 60 years later.
Eloped at 17 with a religious man more than double her age; during an era when society & the law required parental consent and running off with a girl under 21 was a serious crime.
8 months in means you're probably in the honeymoon period of the relationship, it won't last forever but enjoy it whilst it does :smile:

Not saying things won't work out but you gotta be realistic, most relationships at 16/17 don't last
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 15
I'm guessing it's just your raging adolescent hormones rather than true love.
Its possible.

However you have to work for your relationship.
Original post by Analyst89
Its possible.

However you have to work for your relationship.

So far there’s no work involved that’s why I’m surprised, it’s just so easy and covenient!
It is possible. I fell in love at 16 and we were together for over 6 years. Not together anymore but I still love him very deeply, just not romantically now.
it is possible but I only know one couple who really lasted from a school relationship - married and had daughter at 17/18 and are still together now that daughter is 52.
I know a few that married young but split in their 30s.
Most of my friends didn't marry till their late 20s/early 30s and we are all now still together as couples in our 50s/60s. On the whole we wouldn't have liked our other halves as teenagers.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending