The Student Room Group

Cancel Halls Contract, Living at Home

Hi,

My uni have said that we can now cancel our halls contract if we will not be returning from home - I can't return anyway according to the government. Do I need to let student finance know that I now intend to live at home for the third term and do I need to do this asap? How much of my loan will i lose? If the government allows movement before the term ends I was planning on going back to halls so i don't know whether to cancel the contract just yet.
Original post by blinkedkiwi
Hi,

My uni have said that we can now cancel our halls contract if we will not be returning from home - I can't return anyway according to the government. Do I need to let student finance know that I now intend to live at home for the third term and do I need to do this asap? How much of my loan will i lose? If the government allows movement before the term ends I was planning on going back to halls so i don't know whether to cancel the contract just yet.

Hi there, if you are temporarily away due to the pandemic then you won't need to change anything, but if you are cancelling your accommodation contract then you will need to update us by completing a change of circumstances form http://ow.ly/d/8nhP
Thanks, Isaac.
Original post by SFE Isaac
Hi there, if you are temporarily away due to the pandemic then you won't need to change anything, but if you are cancelling your accommodation contract then you will need to update us by completing a change of circumstances form http://ow.ly/d/8nhP
Thanks, Isaac.

Hi, is there any way to do this online, I don't have a printer.
Hi, is there any way to do this online, I don't have a printer.

You will need to send this via post.
Thanks, Isaac.
Original post by SFE Isaac
You will need to send this via post.
Thanks, Isaac.

Hi, just some more help please:

I've cancelled my halls contract meaning i will be living at home for the third term, I wont be able to send that form you linked until this wednesday. I know it takes quite a few weeks to process that form, and I will possibly be paid my maintenance loan - my original one that would be if I had not cancelled my accommodation contract - before it has been processed. What will happen? will I have to pay the excess maintenance loan back because I have been overpaid?

I've cancelled my halls contract meaning i will be living at home for the third term, I wont be able to send that form you linked until this wednesday. I know it takes quite a few weeks to process that form, and I will possibly be paid my maintenance loan - my original one that would be if I had not cancelled my accommodation contract - before it has been processed. What will happen? will I have to pay the excess maintenance loan back because I have been overpaid?

Hi, you can contact SFE and ask them to block your upcoming payment if you are worried about being overpaid. If you are overpaid you will receive a letter confirming how much you owe, you will receive the letter after your application has been re assessed

Good morning, you could do the above to call and block the payment or you can receive it as normal and then wait to find how much you have to pay back and then you can call up to repay this.
Thanks, Isaac.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending