The Student Room Group
University of York
York

Ask a Uni of York Student!

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
You can't bring a mini-fridge to keep in your room except for medical reasons.

Damn that sucks, cheers for the response though
University of York
York
Reply 61
Original post by Anonymous
Damn that sucks, cheers for the response though

You're welcome! :smile:
Soooo.... no parties then huh? I hope the Forest (is that what it's called??) will still be running.
Hey is anyone going to be in Goodricke?
Soooo.... no parties then huh? I hope the Forest (is that what it's called??) will still be running.

York student here- The Forest was just set up over the summer due to the pandemic so will be in use yeah :smile:
Anyone moving in on the 26th?
Reply 66
Anyone moving in on the 26th?

I'm not an incoming Fresher but I know that people like yourselves will be moving in from 26th September onwards (different dates for different accommodation blocks and colleges) but it will be staggered to allow for social distancing. Your academic timetable should be finalised by this Friday which will allow you to plan for Freshers/Welcome 2020 (I'm sure you'll be sent details of that, etc.). There's a virtual Freshers Fair on Saturday 3rd October between 12-4pm and an in-person Freshers Fair W/B Monday 5th October between 9.30am-4.30pm - you'll be able to book a free 20 mins slot for the in-person Freshers Fair from W/B Monday 28th September (Week 1 of Autumn term). :smile:
Hi, I was late applying to halls and today got placed in Student Castle, and I've not been able to find out a great deal about it, so was wondering if you knew anyone who had been there or heard if it was good? Will not staying on campus make my experience worse?
Original post by yorkstudent3585
Hi, I was late applying to halls and today got placed in Student Castle, and I've not been able to find out a great deal about it, so was wondering if you knew anyone who had been there or heard if it was good? Will not staying on campus make my experience worse?

I don't know many people at Student Castle (and those who I do know are faint acquaintances), but I know that there are a lot of international students living there! It's also nice and close to campus, though I would try and avoid the main road out of the city walls and use another route if you are cycling since it isn't the most cycle-friendly path with a lot of cars; other routes are much more forgiving if you can find them :hugs:
Original post by CoffeeAndPolitics
Hello everybody!

In these difficult and uncertain times, a lot of universities have cancelled their open days due to the current pandemic, so we've been asked to work collectively and answer any questions you may have about the university. :h:

@barror1 BA English Literature/Linguistics (First Year)
@CoffeeAndPolitics BA Social and Political Sciences (First Year)
@Xenocydi BA Music and Sound Recording (Third Year)

P.S. Here's a lovely picture of Longboi, our resident BNOC! :biggrin:

Hi - I've gotten an offer from York to do Law and it's currently my top choice. I had a question about the PBL. Obviously it's very team-orientated where you have to work with other students a lot. Are the students generally productive in these sessions or does it more reflect a school project in which some people are essentially free-riding? Thanks :smile:
Hi - I've gotten an offer from York to do Law and it's currently my top choice. I had a question about the PBL. Obviously it's very team-orientated where you have to work with other students a lot. Are the students generally productive in these sessions or does it more reflect a school project in which some people are essentially free-riding? Thanks :smile:

Congratulations on your offer!! I'm a current 1st year law student at York:smile:

With PBL, there are one or two in my firm who don't necessarily work as hard as the rest of us, but to be honest it doesn't actually matter. With the PBL process, whilst you breakdown the problem together and come up with learning outcomes together (under the guidance of a tutor), the actual 'meat' of the PBL cycles which is the research is done individually. So if there are some in the firm that don't do the work, it doesn't significantly impact your grade or your workload.

Problems can arise in other aspects of the course, for example with legal skills often you are partnered up. It is known for some people to be difficult work with, not communicating and turning up to things like mock client interviews or negotiations completely unprepared, however, I find this is actually beneficial as it means you become better at these skills and it gives you a lot to write about in the reflective analysis (which is how YLS assess legal skills).
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by notcoolnerd
Hi everyone! In reminiscing on uni life I’ve come across this thread.

I am a UoY Philosophy/Linguistics Joint Honours 2018 graduate. I was based in Langwith College for my time, and lived both on and off campus. I was very involved in both Langwith (especially freshers week and student mentoring), and the philosophy department, as well as other societies. If anyone has any questions about anything to do with academia, college life, nightlife etc then please do feel free to ask!

I’m more than happy to reminisce... York was honestly 3 of the best years of my life!

Is York uni boring ? I’ve got an offer business and management but I’m worried that there’s nothing to do?
Original post by Tashax2
Is York uni boring ? I’ve got an offer business and management but I’m worried that there’s nothing to do?

I would say that York is definitely what you make of it! Personally I love the societies and sports clubs here, and though I'm not huge on nightlife (and the future of a few nightclubs are currently in question due to COVID), there are loads of pubs and places in town to spend time with friends! The cat cafe is great during essay season, and if you are really bored getting to Leeds by train is very cheap and easy in normal times :biggrin:
In the meantime, definitely have a look at what clubs and societies are available through the YUSU site: https://yusu.org/student-life/clubs-and-socs
Feel free to reply or DM me with any more questions :smile:
Hi, I've got an offer to study Psychology in Education 2021 entry and am 95% sure I'm gonna firm York. I've seen the uni twice and have really fallen in love with the place! I have seen the Uni twice and been to the city many times as my step-grandparents live there (I'm from London), was just wondering if someone could tell me about the dyslexia/mental health support at York? Also, I really want to be in Vanbrugh (Band 3) what are the tips for getting into this college? What would you say I put for my second choice? I'm quite quiet but also like a night out (just not 24/7),think Alcuin is too quiet yet Derwent/James would be far too loud! Also a bit random but would you say York is 'druggie?' How often are the buses from East to West? Finally, what would you say the Careers support is like- are they helpful when finding work experience etc? x
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by maisiex10x
Hi, I've got an offer to study Psychology in Education 2021 entry and am 95% sure I'm gonna firm York. I've seen the uni twice and have really fallen in love with the place! I have seen the Uni twice and been to the city many times as my step-grandparents live there (I'm from London), was just wondering if someone could tell me about the dyslexia/mental health support at York? Also, I really want to be in Vanbrugh (Band 3) what are the tips for getting into this college? What would you say I put for my second choice? I'm quite quiet but also like a night out (just not 24/7),think Alcuin is too quiet yet Derwent/James would be far too loud! Also a bit random but would you say York is 'druggie?' How often are the buses from East to West? Finally, what would you say the Careers support is like- are they helpful when finding work experience etc? x

Hi! :biggrin:
I'll be honest, mental health support has not always been York's strong suit but there is currently a lot of funding being put into it so it will improve. This includes funding to Open Door and Nightline, both of which are run on campus. That being said, dyslexia support is great here- make sure you apply for a DSA through student finance and get a student support plan (SSP) through the uni which will include provisions such as extra time.
I was in tier 3 Vanbrugh in first year. It was my first choice but I also had medical reasons to need one of the rooms, I would say set it as high on your preference list as possible and then try and find a room swap if you don't get it? Accommodation selection definitely has an element of luck involved but this should help you put it in your favour. :yes: Definitely find videos or resources on other college rooms to make your second choice! The uni website and Youtube are definitely good starts.
I wouldn't say York is druggie more than any other uni- if you don't involve yourself, you likely won't see much about it. If you surround yourself with the right people there won't be an issue!
Shuttles from East to West (the UB1 and UB2 are the free ones) run around every 10-15 minutes, though you can always walk or cycle if you would prefer.
Careers are really good- we have just switched over to Handshake to provide opportunities to students which is slowly gaining some really good employers! :woo: There are also careers drop-ins available most mornings are more appointments are currently being made available for students to book. Definitely do some research beforehand in what kind of placement you may want to do and they should be able to help you :smile:
Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions :biggrin:
Original post by barror1
Hi! :biggrin:
I'll be honest, mental health support has not always been York's strong suit but there is currently a lot of funding being put into it so it will improve. This includes funding to Open Door and Nightline, both of which are run on campus. That being said, dyslexia support is great here- make sure you apply for a DSA through student finance and get a student support plan (SSP) through the uni which will include provisions such as extra time.
I was in tier 3 Vanbrugh in first year. It was my first choice but I also had medical reasons to need one of the rooms, I would say set it as high on your preference list as possible and then try and find a room swap if you don't get it? Accommodation selection definitely has an element of luck involved but this should help you put it in your favour. :yes: Definitely find videos or resources on other college rooms to make your second choice! The uni website and Youtube are definitely good starts.
I wouldn't say York is druggie more than any other uni- if you don't involve yourself, you likely won't see much about it. If you surround yourself with the right people there won't be an issue!
Shuttles from East to West (the UB1 and UB2 are the free ones) run around every 10-15 minutes, though you can always walk or cycle if you would prefer.
Careers are really good- we have just switched over to Handshake to provide opportunities to students which is slowly gaining some really good employers! :woo: There are also careers drop-ins available most mornings are more appointments are currently being made available for students to book. Definitely do some research beforehand in what kind of placement you may want to do and they should be able to help you :smile:
Hope this helps! Let me know if you have any more questions :biggrin:

Thank you so much!! This is really helpful! Could you tell me more about the mental health support? What is there they don't do etc? Glad to hear the dyslexia support is good, I will be applying for a DSA. Is it common for room swaps? Does the uni support this? I think I'd put either Langwith or Constantine as my second option. Did you like tier 3 Vanbrugh? What would you say the nightlife is like at York? I've heard very mixed things. Also really good to hear that Careers is good. Thanks again for your response! x
Original post by maisiex10x
Thank you so much!! This is really helpful! Could you tell me more about the mental health support? What is there they don't do etc? Glad to hear the dyslexia support is good, I will be applying for a DSA. Is it common for room swaps? Does the uni support this? I think I'd put either Langwith or Constantine as my second option. Did you like tier 3 Vanbrugh? What would you say the nightlife is like at York? I've heard very mixed things. Also really good to hear that Careers is good. Thanks again for your response! x

So the uni has Open Door and Nightline, both of which run on campus. You can find more about them here: https://www.yorknightline.org.uk
https://www.york.ac.uk/students/health/help/open-door/ . People I know have mixed reviews with these services (some good, some bad), but of course, you also have the NHS options available as a York resident. For example, IAPT York and Selby provide therapies for depression, anxiety, OCD, and PTSD among others though there is quite a long waiting list for these therapies to be available on the NHS (typically 9-10 months or more at the moment).
From what I can tell, the uni supports room swaps as long as you find the person to swap with. If you are really not gelling with your flat next year, that may be grounds to move you too. I would say wait for your room to be allocated to you in August and then contact accommodation services if you're really not happy.
Vanbrugh was good! It's a really nice college and the tier 3 rooms are basically the best on West campus. As long as your flatmates are ok it's a really nice place to be :yes:
Obviously the nightlife isn't what it used to be right now and we may not have the greatest number of clubs in the world, but there are so many pubs and venues that I've never really had much issue (plus the clubs that we do have are pretty good)! Sports socials are usually on a Wednesday night and there are also some clubs nights on campus at some points in the year (such as the D events in Derwent college). Trains to Leeds are also quick and cheap if you get bored of York :laugh:
Hope this helps!
Original post by barror1
So the uni has Open Door and Nightline, both of which run on campus. You can find more about them here: https://www.yorknightline.org.uk
https://www.york.ac.uk/students/health/help/open-door/ . People I know have mixed reviews with these services (some good, some bad), but of course, you also have the NHS options available as a York resident. For example, IAPT York and Selby provide therapies for depression, anxiety, OCD, and PTSD among others though there is quite a long waiting list for these therapies to be available on the NHS (typically 9-10 months or more at the moment).
From what I can tell, the uni supports room swaps as long as you find the person to swap with. If you are really not gelling with your flat next year, that may be grounds to move you too. I would say wait for your room to be allocated to you in August and then contact accommodation services if you're really not happy.
Vanbrugh was good! It's a really nice college and the tier 3 rooms are basically the best on West campus. As long as your flatmates are ok it's a really nice place to be :yes:
Obviously the nightlife isn't what it used to be right now and we may not have the greatest number of clubs in the world, but there are so many pubs and venues that I've never really had much issue (plus the clubs that we do have are pretty good)! Sports socials are usually on a Wednesday night and there are also some clubs nights on campus at some points in the year (such as the D events in Derwent college). Trains to Leeds are also quick and cheap if you get bored of York :laugh:
Hope this helps!

Aw thank you! Was your department on Campus West? DId you like living on the same as the one your department was on if this is the case? Thanks so much for all the info! x
hi! i’m firming york for human geog & environment soon (probably in the new year). i’m applying for ensuite at langwith as my first choice and then ensuite at constantine for my second. i’d really like an ensuite where possible.

because these 2 options are more expensive and i’ll be applying for accomodation next week and that’s pretty early do you think i’ll be more likely to get what i put higher? thanks!!
also is Constantine predominantly female? i’m a guy so i was just wondering :smile:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending