The Student Room Group

Work while being a full time student?

While I am studying as a full-time student at university, is it a good idea to get a job? What are some reccomendations?

I am currently employed and working part-time (well, at least before CoronaVirus broke out) and I completely understand the benefits of having a job, so I am not trying to avoid work unless I really should.

I am also curious because I am from California, USA and I am not very familiar but still learning how employment works for students in the UK. In the states, the average working hours for university/college students is about 15-20 (maybe 30) hours a week depending on how many classes/units they are enrolled in, but most students don't have the time or need to get a job.

Thanks!
In the UK, people generally only work during their degree if they need the money.

If you do want to get a job, most universities have on-campus jobs available to students - e.g. working in campus shops, or giving tours to prospective students.
Original post by LeapingLucy
In the UK, people generally only work during their degree if they need the money.

If you do want to get a job, most universities have on-campus jobs available to students - e.g. working in campus shops, or giving tours to prospective students.

Thank you, that is very helpful! Its great that universities have this option.
Original post by carolinedhenry
While I am studying as a full-time student at university, is it a good idea to get a job? What are some reccomendations?

I am currently employed and working part-time (well, at least before CoronaVirus broke out) and I completely understand the benefits of having a job, so I am not trying to avoid work unless I really should.

I am also curious because I am from California, USA and I am not very familiar but still learning how employment works for students in the UK. In the states, the average working hours for university/college students is about 15-20 (maybe 30) hours a week depending on how many classes/units they are enrolled in, but most students don't have the time or need to get a job.

Thanks!

Depending on your course hours and demands, it can be a good idea to get a part time job if you can balance this alongside your studies. Not long does it bring in extra money, but it is good to put on your CV to show skills and good management of time.

University courses differ in contact hours, e.g. humanities subjects may just have 8-10 hours a week whilst science and medicine degrees may have more classes. Obviously priority should be give to your studies, but if you are able to get a part time job, it can be beneficial. Typical student jobs include retail, restaurant, tutoring, bar work, admin, etc.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending