The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Retaking a unit or two will probably bump you up a grade, and help in your overall A2 grade...so make sure you do that.

If your going to get A's in the rest, try to bump up your Chem to a B or so.
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
Reply 2
I don't know how popular biology is so i don't really know.
However in AS i got CCD, And they made me an offer of BCC at A2, and i've just got BCD and they've still let me in. This is for environmental science so it will be different.
IMO you do have a good chance, as long as you make your personal statment good and knuckle down this year :biggrin:
Reply 3
Thanks for the replies so far :smile:

Keep the replies coming..
Reply 4
Couple of years back I got a biology offer of BCC with predicted grades ACC.
Reply 5
Sarge
Couple of years back I got a biology offer of BCC with predicted grades ACC.

Do you mind me asking what subjects those grades were in?
Reply 6
You have to confirm with the uni whether chem is mandatory or not and then go from there.
If it isn't, just retake a module, bump your grade and drop it at A2, concentrate on the others and do brilliantly.
If it is mandatory, work your hardest in it, and maybe drop one of the others if you can't cope you can put my time into chem.
Reply 7
Ummm, if you get predicted BBB or if you talk to your teacher and get them to predict you ABB or something like that and work hard. I don't see why not, Biology's one of the most popular sciences even though sciences themselves aren't really that popular. I think you'd get in with BBB though, biology was in clearing for nottingham for a bit i think? But it went as soon as it came up so they must have only had a few spaces to fill. (i'm going to nottingham to do biology btw!! ftw!)
Reply 8
you can't get them to predict ABB. do you know how dodgy that is/sounds?
nottingham can be very lenient, so ask your teachers what they predict you'll get, ask yourself what you think you can get, and ask nottingham how lenient they could be/what they're looking for. obviously your entry depends on your PS as well as your grades, so just make sure you put in enough effort into both.
Reply 9
I got my teachers to predict me an A in chemistry. Although tbh i did manage to decimate the chemistry papers and get one of the best A's in my class. But still, i had to persuade my chemistry teacher! (she's scavy!)
yes and although that's helped you and you managed to get that A in the end so everything has turned out well, you've essentially lied to the admissions tutors and could have possibly robbed someone who would/could genuinely had an A of a potential spot on the course. that's how i see it, and i think it's a bit wrong/dodgy and i'm sure admissions tutors wouldn't condone such behaviour either.
Reply 11
La Trampa
yes and although that's helped you and you managed to get that A in the end so everything has turned out well, you've essentially lied to the admissions tutors and could have possibly robbed someone who would/could genuinely had an A of a potential spot on the course. that's how i see it, and i think it's a bit wrong/dodgy and i'm sure admissions tutors wouldn't condone such behaviour either.

How on earth did i lie to them? I got 3a's and 1 possble a (dodgey marking) and so i most probably was going to get offered a place, i was planning on getting an a. So i was predicted one. A quiet talk to your teacher of "i'm going to try really hard this year etc. etc." and then if your teacher thinks you'll get an a, he/she'll predict you one. It's not like my teacher didn't think i couldn't get one as i got a's in all my other subjects, it's just a matter of hard work.
You used the words 'I got my teachers' which implied that you'd asked them (Well one interpretation I picked up on, apologies for that). I'm not disputing how much effort you put in or anything and congrats for getting into uni. But you have to be careful the way you use words, and saying that someone should get their teachers to possibly bend the truth isn't right and I was just trying to explain why.
Reply 13
La Trampa
You have to confirm with the uni whether chem is mandatory or not and then go from there.
If it isn't, just retake a module, bump your grade and drop it at A2, concentrate on the others and do brilliantly.
If it is mandatory, work your hardest in it, and maybe drop one of the others if you can't cope you can put my time into chem.

On their website and prospectus they say they "may consider geography provided a second science is at AS" Do you still think I should ring or email them to ask the likelihood of me getting in? I'm worried though because they might be busy with clearing etc. so they might be annoyed at my call :s-smilie: but I really do want to go to Nottingham though :frown:
How lenient are they with this "may consider this subject" thing?
Reply 14
Toxic Tears
On their website and prospectus they say they "may consider geography provided a second science is at AS" Do you still think I should ring or email them to ask the likelihood of me getting in? I'm worried though because they might be busy with clearing etc. so they might be annoyed at my call :s-smilie: but I really do want to go to Nottingham though :frown:

Why do you want to go to nottingham so much if i may ask? It's great i know:smile: You're in AS yes? So you've got ages to decide on which unis to put down on UCAS etc and choose your A2 levels? Unless your college has different rules to my ex-college. I'm pretty sure you'll get an offer if you applied with those AS grades and decent A level predictions. As long as you get BBB at A level, imo you'll get in. BBC too i think as long your B is in biology. But yeah, maybe phone them up some time when they're not bust with clearing? Unless it's really urgent.
Reply 15
Joe555
Why do you want to go to nottingham so much if i may ask? It's great i know:smile: You're in AS yes? So you've got ages to decide on which unis to put down on UCAS etc and choose your A2 levels? Unless your college has different rules to my ex-college. I'm pretty sure you'll get an offer if you applied with those AS grades and decent A level predictions. As long as you get BBB at A level, imo you'll get in. BBC too i think as long your B is in biology. But yeah, maybe phone them up some time when they're not bust with clearing? Unless it's really urgent.

I havent really got ages if the ucas cycle starts in September. I really hope you're right but how are you pretty sure I'll get an offer? I was thinking that they will probably give me a higher offer (if they were to give me an offer) to make up for the fact that I dont have a full Chem A level??? In short, I really want to go to Nottingham because its an amazing place, has exactly what I'm looking for in a uni and has a great biology reputation. I was expecting much better AS grades than this but I had a few bad exams leading to these grades that might skew my chances.
Reply 16
Well good luck, i'm going there this september to do biology!! So yeah, of course i think it's great:smile: My friend got a biology offer at nottingham too (she ended up at birmingham in the end) but she didn't have chemistry so yeah, should be fine. Just make sure your references and personal statement are top notch and you'll do fine! Pm me later if you want to see my personal statement, think it's quite good tbh. (not being big headed). got me 4/5 offers.
Toxic Tears

I'm just going to say this, please don't ever tell someone that 'you're pretty sure they'll get an offer' because although it's nice and it might look ok (grades etc), there are no guarantees it'll happen and you don't want to raise people's hopes too much. e.g. i was pretty sure i'd get into birmingham for my course as i didn't think i'd get nottingham's grades, but birmingham rejected me and nottingham gave me an offer even though nottingham's higher up in the league. there are no certainties is all i'm saying.

as to your question, you've got chem and geography, i don't think they're a problem. like I said, you won't know if you don't ask. I'm not an admissions tutor so I can't tell you what they'll say. Give them a call and they will give you official accurate answers, and you won't be wasting your time. there's only so much information you can get off the forum so best call them and hear it from the horse's mouth. if you really want it, nothing should stop you trying to get it (apart from them saying no, but fingers crossed they won't).
Reply 18
Joe555
Well good luck, i'm going there this september to do biology!! So yeah, of course i think it's great:smile: My friend got a biology offer at nottingham too (she ended up at birmingham in the end) but she didn't have chemistry so yeah, should be fine. Just make sure your references and personal statement are top notch and you'll do fine! Pm me later if you want to see my personal statement, think it's quite good tbh. (not being big headed). got me 4/5 offers.

Did your friend with the biology offer have maths or physics?

Which unis did you get/not get an offer from?
Reply 19
Nah they had Biology, english and R.S i believe. Some kind of arty ones. I didn't get an offer from oxford.....:redface: Although i did get an interview! So i must have probably mucked it up there. Got offers from Notts, Birmingham, Warwick and Bristol i believe. But i thought nottingham was the best out of them all so i chose there:smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending