The Student Room Group

British Citizen but being charged international tuition fee.

Hello!

I’m a British Citizen (was born in England, grew up in England, and spent around 22 years of my life in England)

However in 2015, I left England to travel, which then ended up with me working mostly in Thailand for a few years. Now I’ve been in the US nearly 6 months due to volunteering and now I’m residing with my boyfriend here.

I don’t have a UK address which I believe is the main reason I’m not being classed as a “home” student.

I’m now wanting to move back to England, to go to University. I’ve received an offer, however the offer states the tuition fees payable for the first year are £14,604 (which is the international fees cost) as opposed to the “home” tuition rate of £9,250.

Can anybody help clarifying whether I’m actually a home student or international student?
Even though I have a UK Passport? Am I right I’m saying it’s because I haven’t lived in the UK for 3 years prior to the course start date?
Original post by Xtinalouise93
Hello!

I’m a British Citizen (was born in England, grew up in England, and spent around 22 years of my life in England)

However in 2015, I left England to travel, which then ended up with me working mostly in Thailand for a few years. Now I’ve been in the US nearly 6 months due to volunteering and now I’m residing with my boyfriend here.

I don’t have a UK address which I believe is the main reason I’m not being classed as a “home” student.

I’m now wanting to move back to England, to go to University. I’ve received an offer, however the offer states the tuition fees payable for the first year are £14,604 (which is the international fees cost) as opposed to the “home” tuition rate of £9,250.

Can anybody help clarifying whether I’m actually a home student or international student?

Your best bet is to call Student Finance England and explain your situation to them. Definitely worth chasing up.

I'd think you'd be eligible for the home student tuition fee too, but I'm no expert on SFE policies.
Reply 3
Hello!

Sounds like they're using the same definition as student finance, which is:
- you’re a UK national or have ‘settled status’ (no restrictions on how long you can stay)
- you normally live in England
- you’ve been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years before starting your course

The uni should clarify their definition somewhere on their website. But can you afford to attend without student finance even if the uni changes their criteria?
Original post by 2500_2
Sounds like they're using the same definition as student finance, which is:
- you’re a UK national or have ‘settled status’ (no restrictions on how long you can stay)
- you normally live in England
- you’ve been living in the UK, the Channel Islands or the Isle of Man for 3 years before starting your course

The uni should clarify their definition somewhere on their website. But can you afford to attend without student finance even if the uni changes their criteria?

I applied to SFE, and their email stated that I’d get 2 years of funding (due to having two years of funding already in the past). Therefore, I was prepared to pay for the first year of tuition (on the home fee basis).
Reply 5
I applied to SFE, and their email stated that I’d get 2 years of funding (due to having two years of funding already in the past). Therefore, I was prepared to pay for the first year of tuition (on the home fee basis).

did you tell them you hadn't been resident in England since 2015?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending