The Student Room Group

How long till you passed?

How long till you passed your driving test?
Curious to know how long it takes roughly. (How many lessons or months etc)
Reply 1
Original post by Jones448

Took me 15 hours to pass with no previous experience, doing 2 hours a week :smile:
Reply 2
Original post by Joshkav
Took me 15 hours to pass with no previous experience, doing 2 hours a week :smile:

Thank you 😊. When they start to learn again I will be planning on doing 2 hours a week
Reply 3
Took me somewhere between 30-35 lessons to pass, one hour a week, didn’t drive with my parents or anything like that.

Have you had any lessons yet?
Don’t put too much pressure on yourself with trying to pass in a certain amount of time. I think originally i would’ve said that i’d have liked to have passed with less as maybe around lesson 10/15 i felt like i was doing quite well but then i realised that when left to do it myself i still had a lot of work to do😂I wasn’t the most confident and a month before my test i felt like i had no chance but i passed first time so i’m more than happy with how everything worked out. Also apparently the average is 45 hours of lessons and 20 hours of practice with parents etc. but i think this is dragged up by the people who take years to pass. A lot of the people i know took similar time to me to pass.

I did about 4 weeks of lessons, 22 hours-ish, but I also did a fair bit of general driving with my parents. I probably had 40 hours at the wheel.
Reply 5
Original post by e2002!
Took me somewhere between 30-35 lessons to pass, one hour a week, didn’t drive with my parents or anything like that.

Have you had any lessons yet?
Don’t put too much pressure on yourself with trying to pass in a certain amount of time. I think originally i would’ve said that i’d have liked to have passed with less as maybe around lesson 10/15 i felt like i was doing quite well but then i realised that when left to do it myself i still had a lot of work to do😂I wasn’t the most confident and a month before my test i felt like i had no chance but i passed first time so i’m more than happy with how everything worked out. Also apparently the average is 45 hours of lessons and 20 hours of practice with parents etc. but i think this is dragged up by the people who take years to pass. A lot of the people i know took similar time to me to pass.

I had about 10 lessons before lockdown and really hoping to pass before September
Reply 6
Original post by mnot
I did about 4 weeks of lessons, 22 hours-ish, but I also did a fair bit of general driving with my parents. I probably had 40 hours at the wheel.

Okay thanks. I don’t drive with my parents
Okay thanks. I don’t drive with my parents

I didn’t at first but in the last 2 weeks before my test i was trying to get more hours to build skill & confidence.
~30 hours with my first ever instructor - (Was an absolute nightmare, wasn’t teaching properly, was using my lesson time to make me pick up and drop off other students etc etc. I wanted to quit on several occasions but would always stop myself because of the amount of money I’d invested. Eventually I’d had enough.)

~40 hours with my second instructor.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 9
Original post by mnot
I didn’t at first but in the last 2 weeks before my test i was trying to get more hours to build skill & confidence.

Fair enough. My parents would never let me do that though
Reply 10
Original post by sammyj97
~30 hours with my first ever instructor - (Was an absolute nightmare, wasn’t teaching properly, was using my lesson time to make me pick up and drop off other students etc etc. I wanted to quit on several occasions but would always stop myself because of the amount of money I’d invested. Eventually I’d had enough.)

~40 hours with my second instructor.

That’s awful. I’m pretty confident with my instructor
That’s awful. I’m pretty confident with my instructor

Yeah, it was but I passed in the end! Glad you’re doing well, Goodluck for your test! :smile:
I think I took almost 50 driving lessons, lol it took time for me to really drive well.
I started learning on December and was supposed to probably finish in March, but then the Coronavirus happened and I couldn't take tests until a month ago. Today I passed, so it has been almost half a year since I started the process.

2.5 months and I had 17 lessons
I was learning on and off for about a year, but eventually knuckled down and stuck to a routine of 2 hours a week for around 2 months I believe :smile:

I'm quite an anxious person so ended up failing my first test due to my nerves. I passed the second time though :smile:
DD passed just under 4 months after her 17th birthday - a mixture of lessons and practice with parents

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending