The Student Room Group

EU postgraduate student fees and funding 2021/2022

It has been officially stated that EU students commencing their postgraduate courses after August 2021 will pay higher tuition fees and lose access to current funding schemes. However, I can't find confirmation if this truly applies to all EU students, even those that have been ordinarily resident in the UK prior and will have settled/pre-settled status. It seems a bit preposterous to me that I would be able to get a job, but not PhD funding if I want my career to be in research.

Edit:
The official announcement is here: https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/studentnews/1547/Fee-status-and-student-support-eligibility-for-EUEEASwiss-citizens-and-their-family-starting-courses-in-England-in-2021-22

The interesting bit is this:
"It will not affect students starting courses in academic year 2020/21, nor those EU, other EEA and Swiss nationals benefiting from Citizens’ Rights under the EU Withdrawal Agreement, EEA EFTA Separation Agreement or Swiss Citizens’ Rights Agreement respectively."

In the EU Withdrawal Agreement I find the following:
"The Withdrawal Agreement protects the rights of more than three million EU citizens living in the UK and around one million UK nationals living in the EU. It ensures that they can continue contributing to their communities and living their lives broadly as they do now.

Those protected by the Withdrawal Agreement will be able to continue to live, work, study and access public services and benefits in the countries in which they currently reside."

So if I understand this correctly, if I successfully apply for settled status, none of this would apply to me and I will continue to claim home status after August 2021?
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Cookiezi
So if I understand this correctly, if I successfully apply for settled status, none of this would apply to me and I will continue to claim home status after August 2021?

yes
I’m a EU students and last month I received my confirmation for the pre-settled status, so I’m unsure if this article applies to me as well.. I’m planning to apply for a BA course this winter, which will start on September 2021 and I’m really concerned considering that the fees of a international student is considerably higher..My question would be, will I be eligible for a Home fees or a international fee? (Btw I moved in the Uk on the 2nd of January 2018 if that helps)
Original post by Cookiezi
It has been officially stated that EU students commencing their postgraduate courses after August 2021 will pay higher tuition fees and lose access to current funding schemes. However, I can't find confirmation if this truly applies to all EU students, even those that have been ordinarily resident in the UK prior and will have settled/pre-settled status. It seems a bit preposterous to me that I would be able to get a job, but not PhD funding if I want my career to be in research.

Edit:
The official announcement is here: https://www.ukcisa.org.uk/studentnews/1547/Fee-status-and-student-support-eligibility-for-EUEEASwiss-citizens-and-their-family-starting-courses-in-England-in-2021-22

The interesting bit is this:
"It will not affect students starting courses in academic year 2020/21, nor those EU, other EEA and Swiss nationals benefiting from Citizens’ Rights under the EU Withdrawal Agreement, EEA EFTA Separation Agreement or Swiss Citizens’ Rights Agreement respectively."

In the EU Withdrawal Agreement I find the following:
"The Withdrawal Agreement protects the rights of more than three million EU citizens living in the UK and around one million UK nationals living in the EU. It ensures that they can continue contributing to their communities and living their lives broadly as they do now.

Those protected by the Withdrawal Agreement will be able to continue to live, work, study and access public services and benefits in the countries in which they currently reside."

This is a grey area and creating chaos for unis who are also seeking guidance from the UK Government. I think Covid has knocked the UK exit plans into the long grass; only now are discussions recommencing about Brexit and what that will mean. A large number of students on post-grad courses come from the EU so it does make a huge difference to unis; charge EU students the regular £10k masters fee (same as UK students pay) or be forced to treat EU nationals as 'international students' and bump up the charge to £20k. You can imagine that unis are nervous. If the charge moves to £20k then applications will drop.

If you have already been studying in the UK for the last 3 years then you should be able to apply for settled status and so be eligible to pay the UK fees. Please contact the uni directly since they have whole departments looking at this given the impact it will have in 2021.
Original post by mike23mike
This is a grey area and creating chaos for unis who are also seeking guidance from the UK Government. I think Covid has knocked the UK exit plans into the long grass; only now are discussions recommencing about Brexit and what that will mean. A large number of students on post-grad courses come from the EU so it does make a huge difference to unis; charge EU students the regular £10k masters fee (same as UK students pay) or be forced to treat EU nationals as 'international students' and bump up the charge to £20k. You can imagine that unis are nervous. If the charge moves to £20k then applications will drop.

If you have already been studying in the UK for the last 3 years then you should be able to apply for settled status and so be eligible to pay the UK fees. Please contact the uni directly since they have whole departments looking at this given the impact it will have in 2021.

Hi does this applies to me as well? I’m an European student and I’ve been studying in the Uk for 2 years and on the 2nd of January 2021 they will be 3 years.. if this is true I will most likely have to get a gap years because the application normally ends before before December 2020 and this would be my last year before starting my degree, also I thought that in order to apply for settle status I had to stay in the Uk for 5 years

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending