The Student Room Group

Army medical appeal

I recently applied for the armed forces but was rejected due to my medical history with drug abuse as I attended a self help group but left soon after as I didn't feel comfortable being labled with 'real junkies' this was at least 3 years ago and I was made to attend due to mental health problems. I'm just inquiring to see if anyone has any information on whether or not they will contact the service I attended as at the time of attending I was in a really bad way and had multiple assessments for mental health whilst there with no official diagnosis and I think if they contact the service place I attended that my appeal will be rejected. I'd rather save myself the embarrassment of going through it all to be rejected. Also they know all the dugs I had been using at the time and I feel this may stop my appeal going through. Could anyone shed some information on this topic as I've been clean for years now and no longer seek help for mental health or drug issues. Thanks.
Reply 1
If you appeal, you need to answer the reason given in your rejection letter and try to provide evidence that what is in your medical records is incorrect or incomplete, so basically different to what was seen at the initial assessment.

The Army will only contact people and/or organisations whose details you provide, so if you don't mention the support group, they won't get in touch with them. If the organisation is named in your records, they still won't contact them, it would be your GP, if necessary.

However, be aware that even several years free of mental health conditions or substance abuse, and currently being able to live a normal life, will not necessarily make you fit to join the Army, or maybe even any of the Armed Forces. Read this:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6178284

Ex-military recruiter, so can chat further. There is an Armed Forces forum on here under 'Careers and Jobs', though it's primarily RAF on there. However, the Forces all work to the same procedures.
Reply 2
Original post by Surnia
If you appeal, you need to answer the reason given in your rejection letter and try to provide evidence that what is in your medical records is incorrect or incomplete, so basically different to what was seen at the initial assessment.

The Army will only contact people and/or organisations whose details you provide, so if you don't mention the support group, they won't get in touch with them. If the organisation is named in your records, they still won't contact them, it would be your GP, if necessary.

However, be aware that even several years free of mental health conditions or substance abuse, and currently being able to live a normal life, will not necessarily make you fit to join the Army, or maybe even any of the Armed Forces. Read this:

https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=6178284

Ex-military recruiter, so can chat further. There is an Armed Forces forum on here under 'Careers and Jobs', though it's primarily RAF on there. However, the Forces all work to the same procedures.

Thanks I'll have a look at the forum to see if there is any further information I can use. I'm still pretty fit even though I've been out of the fitness side of things but I've set myself a date to try and improve my physical fitness to it's peak and it will be as of Monday. The only other problem might be my age as I'm 28 I know the cut off age is 34 but I'm fairly certain that my fitness won't be much of a problem as I'm quite an active person. Thanks for the information it's appreciated very much.
Reply 3
Original post by Jeffpaton
Thanks I'll have a look at the forum to see if there is any further information I can use. I'm still pretty fit even though I've been out of the fitness side of things but I've set myself a date to try and improve my physical fitness to it's peak and it will be as of Monday. The only other problem might be my age as I'm 28 I know the cut off age is 34 but I'm fairly certain that my fitness won't be much of a problem as I'm quite an active person. Thanks for the information it's appreciated very much.

I wrote the link, which has pulled together most stuff that is needed. Medicals and appeals are all on a case-by-case basis, so if you ask the same question you'll get the same answers from the ex- and serving personnel; new evidence needed, mental health and drug abuse taken seriously, won't necessarily be successful. There won't be anyone who can give you a definitive answer other than the Army.

Quick Reply

Latest