Completely regret picking A-level maths.

Watch
dxbbiex
Badges: 7
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 days ago
I'm in year 12, I picked maths, comp sci, engineering, EPQ and gold's art award. I'm doing alright in everything else, on course to meeting my targets except maths. I have no idea how to improve; i've tried past papers, nearly all of the revision sites and tutors and I just don't get it? Any advice?
Rae5
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
(Original post by dxbbiex)
I'm in year 12, I picked maths, comp sci, engineering, EPQ and gold's art award. I'm doing alright in everything else, on course to meeting my targets except maths. I have no idea how to improve; i've tried past papers, nearly all of the revision sites and tutors and I just don't get it? Any advice?
What exam board ?
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
what don't you understand, the concepts? and what are your targets?
dbains
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 days ago
I was pretty much the same as you when I was in year12. For me, past papers were the way to go. You mentioned that you’ve done them, but are you actually learning from your mistakes? Mistakes are good but if you’re not learning from them it’s useless. What you should consider is making not of all the topics you find hardest, and working double as hard on them. I got a predicted A* in mine (no exams this year), so if you need any advice lmk😄
dxbbiex
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 days ago
(Original post by Rae5)
What exam board ?
OCR
dxbbiex
Rep:
?
(Original post by absolutelysprout)
what don't you understand, the concepts? and what are your targets?
It just seems to make no sense in my head? My target is a B at the end of year 13 for maths , I'm currently working at a D.
dxbbiex
Rep:
?
(Original post by dbains)
I was pretty much the same as you when I was in year12. For me, past papers were the way to go. You mentioned that you’ve done them, but are you actually learning from your mistakes? Mistakes are good but if you’re not learning from them it’s useless. What you should consider is making not of all the topics you find hardest, and working double as hard on them. I got a predicted A* in mine (no exams this year), so if you need any advice lmk😄
Thanks, I'll try focusing on my hardest topics
dxbbiex
Rep:
?
It just seems to make no sense in my head? My target is a B at the end of year 13 for maths , I'm currently working at a D.
Topic wise; I defo struggle with mechanics the most.
mpaprika
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
me too
mnot
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
You need to focus on understanding the basics, perhaps try working things through algebraicly so you start to understand the concepts and not just the procedures.

For example in differentiations rather then using numbers take a polynomial and make delta x = x2 - x1 ; x2 = x1 + h and delta y = f(x2) - f(x1) .

Now find dy/dx in terms of x1 & h, now what happens if we make h infinetly small...
IMO doing things like this can really crack the nut and help you understand why your doing the procedures your doing.
dxbbiex
Rep:
?
(Original post by mpaprika)
me too
We could help eachother?
dxbbiex
Rep:
?
(Original post by mnot)
You need to focus on understanding the basics, perhaps try working things through algebraicly so you start to understand the concepts and not just the procedures.

For example in differentiations rather then using numbers take a polynomial and make delta x = x2 - x1 ; x2 = x1 + h and delta y = f(x2) - f(x1) .

Now find dy/dx in terms of x1 & h, now what happens if we make h infinetly small...
IMO doing things like this can really crack the nut and help you understand why your doing the procedures your doing.
Thank you, i'll defo try this method!
mpaprika
Rep:
?
Report 3 days ago
We could help eachother?
yes definitely !
absolutelysprout
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 days ago
you've still got time to improve! a-level maths is a tough subject, you may need to spend some more time doing consolidation work once you've covered a topic to make sure your understanding of it is good. that may mean you do textbook questions and a few questions from the tons of online banks of math questions out there.
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How are you finding researching unis for 2021 entry?

I have been able to get all the information I need from online research (37)
20.79%
I have tried virtual events and found them useful (45)
25.28%
I have tried virtual events and did not find them useful (27)
15.17%
I would be interested in trying socially distanced or scaled down in person events (39)
21.91%
I want to but don't know where to start with researching unis for 2021 entry (16)
8.99%
I haven't started researching yet (14)
7.87%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise