The Student Room Group

Where can I apply to?

Hello,

I'm a student studying in London full time and qualify for the maximum loan/maintenance from student fiinance.

The problem is I am from Northern Ireland and have thus been applying to student finance NI, and I struggle every year live in London because of rent and living cost.

To my knowledge, Northern Irish students are getting the short end of the sick, because the maximum loan for low-income backgrounds from SFNI is almost 4k less than that from SF England.

So, my question is, am I only entitled to apply to SFNI or, since I'm studying, and more or less living, full time in England, would I be able to apply to SF England?
Original post by Aviator73
Hello,

I'm a student studying in London full time and qualify for the maximum loan/maintenance from student fiinance.

The problem is I am from Northern Ireland and have thus been applying to student finance NI, and I struggle every year live in London because of rent and living cost.

To my knowledge, Northern Irish students are getting the short end of the sick, because the maximum loan for low-income backgrounds from SFNI is almost 4k less than that from SF England.

So, my question is, am I only entitled to apply to SFNI or, since I'm studying, and more or less living, full time in England, would I be able to apply to SF England?

Unfortunately not, you have to apply through the authority where you lived before your studies, nothing changes during the same course. That's ridiculous the difference in loan!
Reply 2
Original post by NeroliTenzing
Unfortunately not, you have to apply through the authority where you lived before your studies, nothing changes during the same course. That's ridiculous the difference in loan!

It's even worse at postgrad. I'm looking at the moment to do that in London as well, which will be practically impossible if I have to remain with SFNI since the difference there is closer to 6k. I would have lived in England for both work, education and every other basic life need for 4 years at that point, so imma definitely be needing to switch to SF England since there's literally no viable options for futhering my studies in NI or ROI.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending