The Student Room Group

Should I learn to drive before uni??

Hi!

So I just turned 17 and wasn’t planning on learning to drive until after I finished uni. I can’t take my car to uni and all the universities I’m looking at have incorporated bus services etc.

Does that seem like a good thing to do? This way I can save money as I won’t be paying for lessons and won’t be wasting money on a car that I wont use for 3 years whilst getting my degree?

Sorry if this is a silly question but I’d like some advice haha. (Also I have no idea what forum this should be in so if it’s in the wrong one I’m so sorry! Feel free to move it haha)

Thanks!
Reply 1
You can learn to drive and not buy a car immediately you know :smile:

Learn and then get a car when you come back if you want to
Original post by Nevi
You can learn to drive and not buy a car immediately you know :smile:

Learn and then get a car when you come back if you want to

Yes I know but having not driven for three years I think I’d find it hard haha! That’s a good point though :smile:
Original post by pepsimaxcherry
Hi!

So I just turned 17 and wasn’t planning on learning to drive until after I finished uni. I can’t take my car to uni and all the universities I’m looking at have incorporated bus services etc.

Does that seem like a good thing to do? This way I can save money as I won’t be paying for lessons and won’t be wasting money on a car that I wont use for 3 years whilst getting my degree?

Sorry if this is a silly question but I’d like some advice haha. (Also I have no idea what forum this should be in so if it’s in the wrong one I’m so sorry! Feel free to move it haha)

Thanks!

Hey,

If you don't need the car at Uni you can use the time to complete your driving school, get your licence and save to buy one after uni. That way you will have done some of the things you need to do towards you driving and only have to worry about purchasing a car.

Hope this helps
Doreen-maria - Official Student Rep 😀

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending