The Student Room Group

how do u know if female shopkeepers/staff are flirting or just doing their job?

title
theyd bite their lips if they were flirting... and maybe just have a quick look at your downstairs...
They’re never flirting.

Don’t flirt or come on to people who are doing their job. It’s creepy and gross because they can’t tell you to **** off without risking their job.
Reply 3
They are just being friendly as it is good service and sells things. Attractive girls that work in retail must mind flirting and date requests an ongoing occupational hazard.
Reply 4
Most likely just doing their job
As an ex shop worker I can say from my own experience that I was never flirting. I did speak very nicely to everyone I served and engaged in some jokey banter and stuff but there was never anything behind it other than trying to give people a little boost to their day.
We were always told that we might be the only person a customer speaks to that day and so we should always make sure we greet them friendly. I always kept that in mind with every customer. Being friendly too helps to defuse tense situations and puts you on a good footing with a customer straight away so they don't want to shout at you so much when things go wrong 😂
They are at work, doing their job.

I remember the Harry Enfield coffee shop sketch.
I ignore it if they do. And they do, sometimes. Like, when they do it is pretty f**ng obvious, to the extent where you would not be doubting yourself.

I don't know why, but it aggravates me when done in that context. I guess, it's because I'm very 'deliberate'. Or 'focused'. Whatever word people want to call it. I go to a shop for food. That's it. I don't 'window shop'. I don't admire price tags, or read 10 labels before making up my mind when I already know what I want. Often I have 5 other things on my mind and am too occupied to pay enough attention to mind games to figure out if they're well intentioned or not. Like there was one waitress once on a work-related trip, trying to appeal to my 'masculinity' by trying to entice me into showing off by overspending on expensive menu items. I did not go back there again, even though I was a regular in the area. Too cringe. Never mind.

She was not of British nationality. And this does actually, make some difference. But I can't be ar.ed to explain why right now, if at all. It's a slightly cultural thing where she was from and I would know because I have family roots there too.
as a retail worker I can tell you we are never flirting with you. We are doing our jobs. If you flirt with us, we are obliged to be nice to you. there are rare cases when you may find someone “flirting” but it’s highly unlikely. We are just trying to do our jobs haha :smile:
i mean they probably aren't flirting. although a guy that works with my aunt (Before she worked there) would flirt with her and tried to date her. but he found out that she was older by like 15 years. but yeah i mean most likely they're not flirting at all.
Reply 10
I can't speak for females, but I used to know a male who worked in retail who would try flirt with female shoppers [with a view to have sex with them]

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending