The Student Room Group

Love has no gender

First of all I live in a society where same-sex relationship is a taboo. I don't understand why parents(African Parents ) even when educated , refuse to understand the basis that one didn't ask to feel that way or be that way. Instead I tell my friends or someone on the street or my Brother or sister and they totally understand and are supportive of you. But if it's my parent's; u will be totally cut off from the social world, sent to the village for rituals and incantations to be carried out on you, get married immediately and start producing babies.

But it never works.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by Coco Boss
First of all I live in a society where same-sex relationship is a taboo. I don't understand why parents(African Parents ) even when educated , refuse to understand the basis that one didn't ask to feel that way or be that way. Instead I tell my friends or someone on the street or my Brother or sister and they totally understand and are supportive of you. But if it's my parent's; u will be totally cut off from the social world, sent to the village for rituals and incantations to be carried out on you, get married immediately and start producing babies.

But it never works.

But how old are you and are you living in England?
Reply 2
Original post by mgi
But how old are you and are you living in England?

no I don't live there at all and am 19 of age
Reply 3
no I don't live there at all and am 19 of age

So you are a fully fledged adult. You can make your own decisions about who you decide to sleep with or date, right,? Ii is much easier if you don't live with your parents. If you do then it is harder. But you can date same sex but be discrete if your parents live with you. But its your life. Take control of it!

But it never works.

Love is genderless, anyone can have a crush on anyone. But, there is nothing wrong with any sexuality.

Man with woman
Woman with man
Woman with woman
Man with man
Reply 5
Original post by Vegan Life
Love is genderless, anyone can have a crush on anyone. But, there is nothing wrong with any sexuality.

Man with woman
Woman with man
Woman with woman
Man with man

But her parents clearly don't believe this so she has to find coping strategies. I will bet that her parents are Abrahamic religion religious!
Reply 6
Original post by mgi
So you are a fully fledged adult. You can make your own decisions about who you decide to sleep with or date, right,? Ii is much easier if you don't live with your parents. If you do then it is harder. But you can date same sex but be discrete if your parents live with you. But its your life. Take control of it!

yeah...I am considered not old enough to live on my own and so is everyone else in my age group. African parents totally have a different view of things as compared to u guys.
i'm sorry that you have non-accepting parents - it sounds very difficult!

but you are right. love is love - it's not a choice to be queer, it's the way it is. God doesn't make mistakes :wink:
Reply 8
Original post by mgi
But her parents clearly don't believe this so she has to find coping strategies. I will bet that her parents are Abrahamic religion religious!

yea they are
Reply 9
Original post by yzanne
i'm sorry that you have non-accepting parents - it sounds very difficult!

but you are right. love is love - it's not a choice to be queer, it's the way it is. God doesn't make mistakes :wink:

Thanks, I will get use to the pressure
Reply 10
yeah...I am considered not old enough to live on my own and so is everyone else in my age group. African parents totally have a different view of things as compared to u guys.

Yes. They do. But what are your plans. Some people leave home at your age. How are you going to become more independent of yiur parents? Homophobia is not uncommon in African families to be fair
Reply 11
yea they are

Yes. i thought so. Probsbly Christians I expect. What is YOUR plan for your own life? And you are gay I assum
Reply 12

Your parents have no legal right at all to compel you to live with them! So the bottom line is that yiu need to plan your exit. And its best not to assume the ethnicities of posters; they come from all kinds of backgrounds with all sorts of experiences and knowledge.
Are you Ghanaian or Nigerian?
Reply 13
Thanks, I will get use to the pressure

No plan it ! it's your life! There is mo point in getting used to disrespect and homophobia@
Reply 14
Original post by mgi
Yes. They do. But what are your plans. Some people leave home at your age. How are you going to become more independent of yiur parents? Homophobia is not uncommon in African families to be fair

exactly, but there is really nothing I can do about it. That's just the way it is here
Reply 15
Original post by mgi
Your parents have no legal right at all to compel you to live with them! So the bottom line is that yiu need to plan your exit. And its best not to assume the ethnicities of posters; they come from all kinds of backgrounds with all sorts of experiences and knowledge.
Are you Ghanaian or Nigerian?

Cameroonian
Reply 16
Original post by mgi
No plan it ! it's your life! There is mo point in getting used to disrespect and homophobia@

standing up to your parents is totally going out of the boundary, because you don't really have a voice on such subject matter. The consequences are big
Reply 17
Original post by mgi

Its not that simple...

To the OP, Im sorry that your family is not accepting. That can be very hard :console:
There is nothing wrong with you, so be who you are. If you ever need anything, feel free to drop me a pm.
(edited 3 years ago)

But it never works.

I'm sorry OP :frown:
Is there anyway you could get out via University?
Reply 19
Original post by Political_Weirdo
The thing with your concurrent situation, is that you are an outlier and when we are to consider LICs homosexuality is really bad for those nations objectively as it means less people are being born. It may not necessarily be great for you but they do have a reason to be against it and plus relationships and all of that stuff are really important to ***** nations.

What a load of twaddle.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending