The Student Room Group

Should I still apply for masters? I have an academic misconduct case, please help!

Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if I should or shouldn't still apply to study a Master's in psychology next year. I'm a second years student where recently I tried to appeal one of my grades at uni to be remarked.

Instead, I was flagged for self-plagiarism and was told a meeting will be held soon next week as this is a serious offense but that I won't be reprimanded. Not sure what this means in regards to reprimanded either. I admit my ignorance. Honestly speaking, I never knew this was even possible or existed until I was written a letter that I have been found to self plagiarise. My university definitely did not mention that this was possible during our lectures and when I told my friends what happened, everyone was shocked; every talk we've had on any forms of plagiarism has been around making sure to reference properly, giving the sources credit if you use them. If I had the intention of self plagiarising, I would not have upheld the same work for an appeal to be remarked anyway. This genuinely was not intentional.

My fear is if after the meeting I am told to resubmit and awarded a pass as the maximum, this will leave me an average of 2:2, close to a pass overall. Also where it will be on my record that academic misconduct had taken place, I'm afraid that no university would want to take me. I've never been in this kind of situation before. I really wasn't aware of this all, I'm so embarrassed and depressed right now it's unbelievable.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Anonymous
Hi everyone,

I'm wondering if I should or shouldn't still apply to study a Master's in psychology next year. I'm a second years student where recently I tried to appeal one of my grades at uni to be remarked.

Instead, I was flagged for self-plagiarism and was told a meeting will be held soon next week as this is a serious offense but that I won't be reprimanded. Not sure what this means in regards to reprimanded either. I admit my ignorance. Honestly speaking, I never knew this was even possible or existed until I was written a letter that I have been found to self plagiarise. My university definitely did not mention that this was possible during our lectures and when I told my friends what happened, everyone was shocked; every talk we've had on any forms of plagiarism has been around making sure to reference properly, giving the sources credit if you use them. If I had the intention of self plagiarising, I would not have upheld the same work for an appeal to be remarked anyway. This genuinely was not intentional.

My fear is if after the meeting I am told to resubmit and awarded a pass as the maximum, this will leave me an average of 2:2, close to a pass overall. Also where it will be on my record that academic misconduct had taken place, I'm afraid that no university would want to take me. I've never been in this kind of situation before. I really wasn't aware of this all, I'm so embarrassed and depressed right now it's unbelievable.

Yes, self-plagiarism is indeed a thing. Reusing or recycling content in a novel way without flagging that it isn't 'new' is essentially trying to have two bites of the cherry - it's academic dishonesty, in the same way as using someone else's material without properly citing it would be (though I appreciate it's a bit more difficult to get your head around).

A low 2ii and an academic misconduct finding on your record mean that it's going to be very difficult to find a Masters. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's going to be impossible, but certainly very difficult. I'd say the poor result in the undegrad is actually more of a barrier than the self-plagiarism issue, actually.
Hi everyone,

Given you are a 2nd year student, I would wait till you have finished the plagiarism case and hopefully minimised the impact of this. But once its resolved you can still apply (of course the result of the plagiarism case could harm your chances).

If you have been told you are not going to be reprimanded, hopefully you just get a stern warning and perhaps a resit & your applications will all be fine. This also sounds very odd, they are causing you of plagiarising your own work? Had you previously submitted this work elsewhere, surely you must of known you were re-submitting this...
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by Reality Check

A low 2ii and an academic misconduct finding on your record mean that it's going to be very difficult to find a Masters. I wouldn't go so far as to say it's going to be impossible, but certainly very difficult. I'd say the poor result in the undegrad is actually more of a barrier than the self-plagiarism issue, actually.

second this,
OP you are probably going to be forced to look at fairly uncompetitive programs (although presumably you already knew this).
Hi everyone,

You should be fine. I think universities usually allow for academic misconduct to be completely wiped from your record a year after it's happened. At least, that was the case for my friend who also self-plagiarised in the final year. I also know some people who got 2:2s and went onto doing a Master's degree in some prestigious universities. I think they explained that certain health issues prevented them from doing better and that's why certain grades were high 2:1s or Firsts but then others were much, much lower thus resulting in a 2:2, 3rd or even an ordinary degree.

Honestly, it's not the end of the world whatsoever. :fluffy: What's happened has happened; just try to pick yourself up now and perform better in your studies. Make sure to prioritise your health, by the way.
Reply 5
Thank you both so much for your replies, I really appreciate it.
As silly as it sounds, I truly was not aware that this was a rule and now that I am aware, I definitely understand - taking accountability.
If I could go back in time with what I know now, I would 100% avoid this situation and do things right.
What happened was, for my final assessment submissions this year, I submitted pieces of work that shared the same content as I had combined the two modules together, handing them separately this summer. It was a media content and project I had been working on for months. I did not submit any work prior to this of the same content but I did submit both together around the same time, with very similar content. As I did not know this counted as self-plagiarism or what self-plagiarism was, I openly told others I was doing this at the time where none of my tutors disapproved of this. Maybe they were thinking I would present content but with two separate media videos. At the moment my average is 63.5% which I had looked to start applications with but after this, I am aware this will significantly drop.
Reply 6
Original post by Quick-use
You should be fine. I think universities usually allow for academic misconduct to be completely wiped from your record a year after it's happened. At least, that was the case for my friend who also self-plagiarised in the final year. I also know some people who got 2:2s and went onto doing a Master's degree in some prestigious universities. I think they explained that certain health issues prevented them from doing better and that's why certain grades were high 2:1s or Firsts but then others were much, much lower thus resulting in a 2:2, 3rd or even an ordinary degree.

Honestly, it's not the end of the world whatsoever. :fluffy: What's happened has happened; just try to pick yourself up now and perform better in your studies. Make sure to prioritise your health, by the way.

Thank you so much, honestly, this made me cry from relief.
I have bad anxiety where I've been seeing my therapist for a year now.
I was told after a year it is completely wiped however my fear is applying this winter, it will still be active on my record when applying.
Unless do I wait until I have graduated to apply?
With this situation, I don't mean to sound overly sensitive but I've been finding myself stuck in that dark cloud just wanting to just escape.
At least, that was the case for my friend who also self-plagiarised in the final year. I also know some people who got 2:2s and went onto doing a Master's degree in some prestigious universities. I think they explained that certain health issues prevented them from doing better and that's why certain grades were high 2:1s or Firsts but then others were much, much lower thus resulting in a 2:2, 3rd or even an ordinary degree.

But the OP doesn't have a low 2ii due to medical issues: he has one because of a capped pass due to academic misconduct. This is a very different ball game, or at least it would be at my institution. We'd be very wary of offering a Masters to anyone with a history of academic misconduct, however minimal.

Thank you both so much for your replies, I really appreciate it.
As silly as it sounds, I truly was not aware that this was a rule and now that I am aware, I definitely understand - taking accountability.
If I could go back in time with what I know now, I would 100% avoid this situation and do things right.
What happened was, for my final assessment submissions this year, I submitted pieces of work that shared the same content as I had combined the two modules together, handing them separately this summer. It was a media content and project I had been working on for months. I did not submit any work prior to this of the same content but I did submit both together around the same time, with very similar content. As I did not know this counted as self-plagiarism or what self-plagiarism was, I openly told others I was doing this at the time where none of my tutors disapproved of this. Maybe they were thinking I would present content but with two separate media videos. At the moment my average is 63.5% which I had looked to start applications with but after this, I am aware this will significantly drop.

Well, at least you know now what self-plagiarism is. Better late than never, I suppose!

The only thing you can do now is to apply - and see what comes of it. At least you're aware that it's going to be difficult, so you're prepared. :smile:
Reply 8
Self-plagiarism is an academic offense. Keep an eye on that for next time btw.

If this is the first time you've been stuck on for anything, chances are it'll end up as a low-level warning or something.

It won't end up being passed onto your future institution but you need to be careful and if I were you, I'd seek further advice on how to avoid plagiarism and better reference academic material.

Brushing up on the basics of academic skills doesn't hurt.
Thank you so much, honestly, this made me cry from relief.
I have bad anxiety where I've been seeing my therapist for a year now.
I was told after a year it is completely wiped however my fear is applying this winter, it will still be active on my record when applying.
Unless do I wait until I have graduated to apply?
With this situation, I don't mean to sound overly sensitive but I've been finding myself stuck in that dark cloud just wanting to just escape.

I'm not sure if you should wait to apply or not. I honestly don't know how it works. Maybe it's best to wait for it to be wiped?

If I'm being completely honest, I might not recommend going straight into a postgraduate degree if you're struggling with your health. Don't think of it as needing to redeem your 2:2 with a Master's degree; think of it as healing yourself and then coming back stronger. Take a year or two out and sincerely work on getting better. The NHS provides help and you could also apply for some health-related benefits to potentially help you in affording counselling and the like.

Please focus on your health. The Master's degree will still be there and it'll just be worse if you go in, burn out and potentially see a repeat of what's happened now.
Original post by Reality Check
But the OP doesn't have a low 2ii due to medical issues: he has one because of a capped pass due to academic misconduct. This is a very different ball game, or at least it would be at my institution. We'd be very wary of offering a Masters to anyone with a history of academic misconduct, however minimal.

Well, at least you know now what self-plagiarism is. Better late than never, I suppose!

The only thing you can do now is to apply - and see what comes of it. At least you're aware that it's going to be difficult, so you're prepared. :smile:

I understand. I'm hoping now especially now no determinant policy put in place for students due to the lockdown and pandemic, that I still have a chance grade-wise after this. I was reading my university's academic regulations and procedures; they explained that the offense will be on the student's file for one year but it will not be on the student's transcript. I'm not sure what this means for when I apply for my masters. Unless the nature of the offense is major or gross, in this case, it will be noted on their transcript and the student can also be kicked out. With this happening, I'm reconsidering if I'm ready for a masters or maybe I am lucky to have this happen now, to learn from rather than making this mistake later on.
I'm not sure if you should wait to apply or not. I honestly don't know how it works. Maybe it's best to wait for it to be wiped?

If I'm being completely honest, I might not recommend going straight into a postgraduate degree if you're struggling with your health. Don't think of it as needing to redeem your 2:2 with a Master's degree; think of it as healing yourself and then coming back stronger. Take a year or two out and sincerely work on getting better. The NHS provides help and you could also apply for some health-related benefits to potentially help you in affording counselling and the like.

Please focus on your health. The Master's degree will still be there and it'll just be worse if you go in, burn out and potentially see a repeat of what's happened now.

Thanks so much for your advice and I agree. I will consider this. Prior I did take a year out, taking a gap year to work on my mental health. I thought I was doing better and so joined university. Currently, I am 22 years of age and I hoped to start soon but if my mental health deteriorates again, I will take another year out.
Hi everyone,
I just came back to give an update on my case.
Although it was my first offense and how I did this without knowing it was academic misconduct, I was given category 3 major.
This means I can resit the module where the highest possible awarded grade is a pass for that particular module. I was also told this will appear on my transcript. So my fears have happened and I'm thinking of leaving my studies. During this pandemic especially I've been so drained and with my studies situation, it hasn't been helpful either.
Let me bump this thread up so you can get support

Hi everyone,
Although it was my first offense and how I did this without knowing it was academic misconduct, I was given category 3 major.
This means I can resit the module where the highest possible awarded grade is a pass for that particular module. I was also told this will appear on my transcript. So my fears have happened and I'm thinking of leaving my studies. During this pandemic especially I've been so drained and with my studies situation, it hasn't been helpful either.
Hi everyone,

Well the punishment isnt too bad, one second year module is capped at 40, I suggest you put this behind you and focus on final year.

The benefit you have is you still have a year left. So should you want a 2.1 find out what you need and work hard, its not unusual for people to use final year to increase their average.

If you aren't sure about a masters, most unis are flexible with admissions windows for masters, so if March/April next year your grades are in better shape and you still want to you can change your mind.
Original post by mnot
Well the punishment isnt too bad, one second year module is capped at 40, I suggest you put this behind you and focus on final year.

The benefit you have is you still have a year left. So should you want a 2.1 find out what you need and work hard, its not unusual for people to use final year to increase their average.

If you aren't sure about a masters, most unis are flexible with admissions windows for masters, so if March/April next year your grades are in better shape and you still want to you can change your mind.

Hi, thanks so much for responding, your response means so much to me.
My lecturers emailed that if I work hard, it's possible for me to still get a first due to the no determinant policy that was added for students at our uni due to the COVID lockdown. At the moment I have met the entry requirements grade wise to study at my second choice regarding my masters. My fear isn't is more of the impression this will have to the universities I will apply to once I submit my application, along with employers in case they ask. I've always wanted to do charity work and be involved in the united nations but with what's happened I'm thinking if I should email them today to explain everything before it pops up on my masters application.
Original post by Starlight15
Let me bump this thread up so you can get support

Thank you <3
My lecturers emailed that if I work hard, it's possible for me to still get a first due to the no determinant policy that was added for students at our uni due to the COVID lockdown. At the moment I have met the entry requirements grade wise to study at my second choice regarding my masters. My fear isn't is more of the impression this will have to the universities I will apply to once I submit my application, along with employers in case they ask. I've always wanted to do charity work and be involved in the united nations but with what's happened I'm thinking if I should email them today to explain everything before it pops up on my masters application.

Employers most likely will never find out, its not something you advertise...

Masters wise, I think it depends on the uni. If you get a first or 2.1 I still think you'll get offers tbh, I wouldn't worry how they perceive it. No one will care as long as you dont get caught up in it again.

You are massively over-worrying about this. Yes, it's an academic error and you shouldn't have got to the second year of a degree and not understood about self-plagiarism, but it doesn't make you a bad person, it's not a sign of criminality and untrustworthiness. You've fallen foul of one of the rules of academia, but through ignorance, not malice.

The only effect it is going to have on future Masters applications is in terms of lowering grades. No-one is going to think you are unsuited to further study just because of this.

And it's completely irrelevant to future work, no-one in the UN or charity sector is going to know or care.
Thanks so much for replying, made me feel a whole lot better with the entire situation 😭
I’m just thinking if I should mention the situation in my personal statement for when applying to my masters so that they see how transparent and honest I am? Or is it better not to, waiting till ask? I’m scared that by not mentioning it in my personal statement, if they find out once I’ve enrolled and been accepted they may remove me from my course. As I was told by a friend this may happen depending on the university.

Original post by threeportdrift
You are massively over-worrying about this. Yes, it's an academic error and you shouldn't have got to the second year of a degree and not understood about self-plagiarism, but it doesn't make you a bad person, it's not a sign of criminality and untrustworthiness. You've fallen foul of one of the rules of academia, but through ignorance, not malice.

The only effect it is going to have on future Masters applications is in terms of lowering grades. No-one is going to think you are unsuited to further study just because of this.

And it's completely irrelevant to future work, no-one in the UN or charity sector is going to know or care.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending