The Student Room Group

Going condomless for the first time

I've recently started the contraception patch, and started having sex 2 days after taking it without a condom..the patch is effective from the first day of your cycle.

I was just wondering if anyone else found it really worrying the first month having sex without a condom, and just using hormonal contraception...how you got over it and if it's completely normal?

We're just both not huge fans of the condom!!!

Scroll to see replies

Slightly different experience with the injection.
But it's different and personally I don't like it when it 's over as it can get quite messy, as in a ladies case what goes in must come out and I had to shower straight after because I just didn't like it. It does feel different without a condom though, more intimate.

Wow the patch isn't free on the NHS how did you get that?
i started the pill earlier this month, and it freaked me out because you're placing your trust in something you can't see.

completely normal, you'll get over it soon.
Reply 3
The patch is free!!!! It's brilliant, used too be on the injection..but put on a bit of weight, am considering getting back on it now though as i miss NOT having periods..weeks of uninteruptive sex!!!!! although im going too give it time and see how i get on

HOWEVER it does get dirty around the patch, and is very awkward too clean
Reply 4
The added intimacy and pleasure of no condom makes up for the mess.
Reply 5
Make sure you have mama and papas gift vouchers ready just in case it goes all peared shape. :yep:
Reply 6
Usman938
Make sure you have mama and papas gift vouchers ready just in case it goes all peared shape. :yep:

:laughing: That was funny

I've not tried sex without a condom myself. I wouldn't want to risk it unless I'm ready to be a mammy.
Reply 7
Code

Easy for you to say. Men, in my experience, get much less messy than the women :wink:

But I'd agree, to be honest.

OP, it's a bit odd at first - so much is depending on this invisible thing working. But 99% of the time it does - and the more you have fun "condomless" with no babies popping up, the easier it'll be to rely on it :p:

Just make sure you remain responsible enough to be able to deal with anything should you ever have a slip-up :smile:
Reply 8
OP i think your forgetting STDs. Excuse the pun but the patch isn't a patch on condoms for stopping STDs.
Reply 9
gm15
OP i think your forgetting STDs. Excuse the pun but the patch isn't a patch on condoms for stopping STDs.

course but when you're in a stable and trusting relationship after checks, we both know we're clean...why bother using condoms at the same time??
emilyyy

OP, it's a bit odd at first - so much is depending on this invisible thing working. But 99% of the time it does - and the more you have fun "condomless" with no babies popping up, the easier it'll be to rely on it :p:

Actually the more you have fun "condomless" the higher the chance of ending up pregnant. It's simple statistics. It certainly doesn't become more reliable and as soon as your boyfriend is unfaithful, you'll quickly realise as you'll catch something (in adult long-term relationships, that is one common way that people find out that their partner has cheated on them).

The pill or the injection have never been substitutes for the condom anyway. If you want to be totally safe, then using the two is wisest.

I think it's quite a massive step in a relationship to stop using condoms, not just because you're taking the risk of your partner being unfaithful but especially because you're accepting the possibility of having a kid. And to those who think I'm being a killjoy, it really is far from uncommon to end up with an unwanted pregnancy this way.

emilyyy

Just make sure you remain responsible enough to be able to deal with anything should you ever have a slip-up :smile:

Very true. You shouldn't even be having sex if you're not prepared to deal with pregnancy anyway. It's a bit ridiculous when you see 15-year old guys who get a girl pregnant and then can barely open their mouth in front of adults or medical professionals. If you're having sex, you're no longer a kid. If you're still a kid, you shouldn't be having sex.

Anonymous
course but when you're in a stable and trusting relationship after checks, we both know we're clean...why bother using condoms at the same time??

Depends what you call stable and trusting... Even couples who have been together for a long time prefer the peace of mind of using a condom: additional birth control and no hassle with STIs (when you know that almost half of adults end up with herpes, ok condoms won't stop that, but considering how widespread STIs are, there's no point of helping the diseases spread).
Loads of people start going condomless this way and then surprise! A nasty STI...

I'm not saying that you should never consider not using a condom but it's certainly not a small decision.
Reply 11
SamTheMan
Actually the more you have fun "condomless" the higher the chance of ending up pregnant. It's simple statistics. It certainly doesn't become more reliable and as soon as your boyfriend is unfaithful, you'll quickly realise as you'll catch something (in adult long-term relationships, that is one common way that people find out that their partner has cheated on them).

I didn't mean to suggest that the method became more reliable with greater use; I was just saying her confidence in it will grow the more she uses it and there are no issues.
This wasn't a thread discussing the effectivity of the contraception, but a wondering by the OP of when her misgivings might be likely to fade.

SamTheMan
Very true. You shouldn't even be having sex if you're not prepared to deal with pregnancy anyway. It's a bit ridiculous when you see 15-year old guys who get a girl pregnant and then can barely open their mouth in front of adults or medical professionals. If you're having sex, you're no longer a kid. If you're still a kid, you shouldn't be having sex.

Glad that's something we agree on :wink:
Reply 12
Code

Well, yes, but that's because you don't have it leaking out of you for hours afterwards.

I do much prefer the sensation without, but I HATE the mess so much. I also hate the pill. So back onto condoms for us.
SamTheMan
The pill or the injection have never been substitutes for the condom anyway. If you want to be totally safe, then using the two is wisest.

i think i'd rather just take my chances with other contraception. if only one couple in every five hundred gets pregnant after a years use i'm willing to take my chances.

I think it's quite a massive step in a relationship to stop using condoms, not just because you're taking the risk of your partner being unfaithful but especially because you're accepting the possibility of having a kid. And to those who think I'm being a killjoy, it really is far from uncommon to end up with an unwanted pregnancy this way.

if you trust your partner it's not really a risk. i know if my partner did cheat on me he'd use a condom because he's actually concerned with his own health as well as mine.
you're not accepting the possibility of having a kid because there's always abortion if it fails.

Depends what you call stable and trusting... Even couples who have been together for a long time prefer the peace of mind of using a condom: additional birth control and no hassle with STIs (when you know that almost half of adults end up with herpes, ok condoms won't stop that, but considering how widespread STIs are, there's no point of helping the diseases spread).
Loads of people start going condomless this way and then surprise! A nasty STI...

in what i call a stable and trusting relationship nobody's going to cheat.

I'm not saying that you should never consider not using a condom but it's certainly not a small decision.

i don't think it's a huge decision tbh. it just makes sense for a lot of people. especially considering most go from just condoms to just pill/patch/injection and increasing the effectiveness against pregnancy.

edit: as for the original question, i never found it weird at all. just better. :p:
Reply 14
SamTheMan

One problem with part of this is that if your condomless with your partner but you use a condom when cheating. you most likely won't get STD's and also if you did go condomless with girl then she may not have STD's.

just saying, just because u don't have STD's doesn't mean they havn't cheated. but lets get back to the subject.
Reply 15
Most hormonal controls are more effective than condoms in normal use, anyway.
I felt safer actually
Reply 17
gm15

Bingo.
Reply 18
Jelkin
Well, yes, but that's because you don't have it leaking out of you for hours afterwards.

good heavens! some people actually let the thing ejaculate in them? That's gross ewwwww
Reply 19
Its better without,more intimate.
Also doesn't kill the moment either.

Latest