The Student Room Group

Applying to UK unis without standard qualifications - what do I do?

Hello everyone!

I tried looking through different threads, but I'm getting more and more confused so I'm asking here instead.

So, I'm currently at an international school that has it's own grading system and we don't have any standardized exams like A levels or IB like other international schools. We come out with an American high school diploma and transcript, but I don't know if that accounts for much on UCAS?? or how to fill that section out?

My dream is to study in the UK and a biological science at UCL! I am a high achieving student but I don't know what pathway I can do to get there.

I looked at Foundation and Access courses? But I don't know what the difference between them is..

I also read somewhere that if I take a standardized test like SAT or AP I can apply directly to the courses I want through UCAS - is that true?

Do you have any advice?

Please!
Yes, AP courses are commonly accepted and SAT I think varies a bit. If you go to the university qualifications page you should be able to find what is required from the USA and go by that if you're following their system.
To add! Go to the biological sciences course page on UCL, scroll to entry reqs, find international and select USA !
Reply 3
Thanks, I went on those pages, but I would also like to know whether any other pathway would be available to me without having to take the AP/SAT.

I hope someone can clarify what the difference is between Foundation and Access course, and whether it would make sense to do those instead.
Reply 4
For anyone following this, I found out about something called Undergraduate Preparatory Certificates, which looks like a foundation year but specific for UCL.
Reply 5
Original post by lostalpaca
Thanks, I went on those pages, but I would also like to know whether any other pathway would be available to me without having to take the AP/SAT.

I hope someone can clarify what the difference is between Foundation and Access course, and whether it would make sense to do those instead.

Access course = level 3 = A level standard
Foundation course = level 4 = 1st year of university standard

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending