The Student Room Group

Is Anyone Else Actually Kinda Calm About A Level Results Day 2020?

Hi Guys!

I don’t know if it’s just me but is anyone else actually relatively calm about getting their A Level results on 13th August?

Personally, I’m a lot calmer about calculated grades than what I was before Offqual’s summer symposium. My school shouldn’t be hit all that much by standardisation as my year group is a small cohort as only 40 of us stayed on for sixth form meaning some subjects had classes as small as 5 (I was in classes of between 10-15 as I chose subjects which have always been popular at our sixth form). Our historical data for results at A Level have always been high with many students getting A/A* grades and our law department has had students recieve some of the best grades in the country over the past few years, our GCSE results have always been high aswell which is why our sixth form’s entry requirements are 5 grade 5 GCSEs and our school marks our work/mocks 5% harsher than what exam boards would grade our answers incase the grade boundaries are to go up for that years exams. So, the fact our cohort is so small and we’ve got great historic data should hopefully mean that we don’t get hit as hard by standardisation. Furthermore, I can’t imagine our school over inflating predictions as they tell us how it is when it comes to grading. If we’re on track for a higher grade, we’ll be told and if we’re slacking, they’ll be blunt with us which is why I’m keeping my expectations low as I want to get ABC but I think I’ll be more likely to either get ACC, BBC, BCC or BCD (if we do get hit hard by standardisation). I was on track for a B in law, my sociology grade has always been a sliding scale of either C or D and I’ve always managed to get Bs in my RS work and even some As on assessments, homework and individual mock questions so I’m hoping that considering my school marks harsher that my teachers would’ve predicted me an A as there was only one person in my class who was doing better than me so I assume I would’ve been ranked in the top 2 or 3 at least.

I do hope there is no discrimination towards students with SEN though as I have a visual impairment which meant that in exams, I got double the time, rest breaks and my own room to sit my exams. I’ve been told on other threads that my teachers would’ve had to consider this but I am a little bit worried that even though I’ve shown how capable I am, I may still get penalised just because I’m a part of a disadvantaged group.
I didn't think I would see a user that would say this. :laugh:
Reply 2
Original post by 5hyl33n
I didn't think I would see a user that would say this. :laugh:

Trust me, I’ve only recently started being calm about it. After some of the articles that came out back in May and June, I thought I was screwed but when Offqual did their summer symposium, it put my nerves at ease and when I gave my predictions of what I’d get on some other threads, a few users said that I may get higher grades than I think I will which is when I started to make getting ABC my best case scenario and BCD my worst. I’d still get into my firm uni either way as I completed their first choice summer school which reduced my offer by 16 UCAS Points so only need 96 to get in.
Original post by NE1
Trust me, I’ve only recently started being calm about it. After some of the articles that came out back in May and June, I thought I was screwed but when Offqual did their summer symposium, it put my nerves at ease and when I gave my predictions of what I’d get on some other threads, a few users said that I may get higher grades than I think I will which is when I started to make getting ABC my best case scenario and BCD my worst. I’d still get into my firm uni either way as I completed their first choice summer school which reduced my offer by 16 UCAS Points so only need 96 to get in.

That's amazing! Well done and I wish you all the best for results day.

I, on the other hand, am going into year 13 next year so the stress is on! What course are you doing and which A-Levels did you do if you don't mind me asking?
I feel the same haha, I personally would've been more stressed if I had to sit the exams, since I don't perform too well for those.
Reply 5
Original post by 5hyl33n
That's amazing! Well done and I wish you all the best for results day.

I, on the other hand, am going into year 13 next year so the stress is on! What course are you doing and which A-Levels did you do if you don't mind me asking?

Thank you and I wish you the best of luck with year 13, I know for me, it was quite a stressful year mainly because I chose subjects that are all essay based. I studied law, sociology and religious studies. I’d love to get an A in RS, a B in law and a C in sociology but I’m not getting my hopes up. I’m doing Media Production and the uni I’ve firmed is Sunderland which isn’t too far from where I live and the course itself is one of the best media courses in the country as about 96% of graduates have gone into jobs in the media within the first 6 months of graduating and there’s been people who’ve gone on from that course to present for BBC radio and produce for shows like the Jeremy Kyle show.
(edited 3 years ago)
Reply 6
I'm pretty confident for 2/3 of my A-Levels. The requirements for my course were lowered because the interviews back in March were cancelled, and are considerably lower than my UCAS predicted grades (and hopefully my CAGs). There's a sobering possibility that I miss the grade needed for my third A-Level, but hopefully the fact that there were only 3 of us in the class, and that our school hadn't entered anyone in for that subject for a good few years, works in my favour, if anything.
Reply 7
Original post by nzy
I'm pretty confident for 2/3 of my A-Levels. The requirements for my course were lowered because the interviews back in March were cancelled, and are considerably lower than my UCAS predicted grades (and hopefully my CAGs). There's a sobering possibility that I miss the grade needed for my third A-Level, but hopefully the fact that there were only 3 of us in the class, and that our school hadn't entered anyone in for that subject for a good few years, works in my favour, if anything.

Having smaller classes is one of the reasons that I’m a lot more confident since Offqual have said that in smaller cohorts, CAGs will carry more weight than historical data (regardless, my sixth form’s historic data in all 3 of my A levels is really good so hopefully the grades we get won’t have been adjusted too much)
Reply 8
Original post by ichigomilk
I feel the same haha, I personally would've been more stressed if I had to sit the exams, since I don't perform too well for those.

I do quite well in exams but I’m low-key glad that they were cancelled mainly because I don’t think I would’ve been able to study effectively at home as I’d easily be distracted and I have 2 younger siblings who would be causing chaos around me haha
Original post by NE1
I wish you the best of luck with year 13, I know for me, it was quite a stressful year mainly because I chose subjects that are all essay based. I studied law, sociology and religious studies. I’d love to get an A in RS, a B in law and a C in sociology but I’m not getting my hopes up. I’m doing Media Production and the uni I’ve firmed is Sunderland which isn’t too far from where I live and the course itself is one of the best media courses in the country as about 96% of graduates have gone into jobs in the media within the first 6 months of graduating and there’s been people who’ve gone on from that course to present for BBC radio and produce for shows like the Jeremy Kyle show.

Thank you! That's fantastic! I wish you all the best for university and A-Level Results Day. Good luck. :woo:
I've been calm until now. Starting to get nervous. I suppose I'm calmer then I would be as I don't have to blame myself if I don't get what I want 😂😬
Reply 11
Original post by L'anatra.M
I've been calm until now. Starting to get nervous. I suppose I'm calmer then I would be as I don't have to blame myself if I don't get what I want 😂😬

I do think I’ll get a lot more nervous the day before results day but after everything Offqual has said recently, I feel that I and everyone in our sixth form will be able to progress to university. I agree it is somewhat comforting to know that it actually isn’t your fault if you don’t get the grades you need
Reply 12
I'm not as nervous as I would have been had I sat the exams, but I think that's because I know that if I don't get the grades I want I can simply sit the Autumn exams, so in a way the results on that paper won't seem "final".
Original post by NE1
I do think I’ll get a lot more nervous the day before results day but after everything Offqual has said recently, I feel that I and everyone in our sixth form will be able to progress to university. I agree it is somewhat comforting to know that it actually isn’t your fault if you don’t get the grades you need

What have offqual said? Do you have an article link for me by chance 🙂
Reply 14
Original post by L'anatra.M
What have offqual said? Do you have an article link for me by chance 🙂

https://www.gov.uk/government/news/ofqual-summer-symposium-2020

Quick Reply

Latest