The Student Room Group

Age... worry?

So long story cut short I'd hopefully study medicine in the future however at my current age of 27 I just need to get some clarification and was wondering if there is anyone who can advise.

I'm having a little panic with my age due to studying A levels at the age of 28/29/30 mixed with school leavers however I hope I can overcome this ASAP.

I'll be about 30/31 when I apply to Medicine, provided I study hard and get the grades I should have got years ago. (short story why I missed out on education: I had a road accident which cost 10 years of my life and wasting time by working crappy jobs I didn't like so I feel now is the time to change that and never look back before it's really too late.

Before everybody tells me how competitive medicine is I'm very much aware of the ratio in terms of places vs acceptance rates.

with my age now (27) I'll be studying September then A levels in Chemistry, Biology & Psychology.
Should I fail to meet the requirements for med school I'd either take a gap year or Apply for neuroscience at Bristol.

Why medicine for me: As previously mentioned being sick and having road accidents you're constantly in hospital either whether you're in clinics, waiting rooms, x-rays, tests, bloods, operating theatres.
I observed a fascinating career with the ability to apply science & clinical skills to a patient's health & improve a person's quality of life.

I have found a few interests in Medicine already even tho I'm very very long way off these goals however you can still dream of the future career you may end up in and I'd be super happy with a career in either Anesthetics, ICU Medicine, Emergency medicine also sub speciality in PHEM. However I haven't gone through medical school yet so I would be open to any other speciality.

What is the average age of entry to UK medical school? (undergrad)
What is the average age of entry to UK medical school? (post-grad)
What is the oldest medical student you have seen on a course?
What is the earliest age you can become a consultant?
How do medical schools decide whether to offer you a place in terms of age e.g: A young 18 year old just passed A levels or a mature student with the same grades & life experiences?

Now I don't expect to be that A* A level student at my age and the lack of ability to study over the last 10 years but I will give it my hardest efforts to pursue a career in Medicine.

I also won't be applying to very competitive Universities in future such as Oxford/Cambridge, UCL, Imperial , Cardiff.

I would apply for Queen Mary London (Malta) as my first choice & the others would be Bristol, Manchester, Newcastle, Leicester.

If you think about it as: Starting this September.
2 Years A level (providing AAA minimum & get an offer for medicine)
2 years time = age 30
5 years medicine = age 35
2 years F1 & F2 = age 37
3 years ACCA training CT1,CT2,CT3 = age 40
2 years CT4 & CT5 = age 42
2/3 years CT6, CT7, CT8? = age 44/45
Consultant level.

Obviously that's the dream however not everything goes to plan in life. I understand that, but becoming a consultant in the 40s is normal? I presume that if you take the 10 years away from my health issues and school you'd be a consultant in your 30s.

Even passing a medicine degree (no small task) is a life achievement and offering the NHS potentially 30-35 years of work surely isn't going to disadvantage my chances in medicine?

The issue I have is I have done nothing major for the last past 10 years and some would still say I'm young and I feel like I'm in my 40s.

I do understand the mammoth task of the workload and the forever life of studying and the commitment to learning. I wouldn't risk it unless I thought I had the capability to do it.

In reality on paper the chances are around <2% however I won't give that easy.

Ultimate long term career should I ever get there > Anesthesia consultant with subspecialty in PHEM/ICU medicine.

I really do hope you have all or some of the answers to this. I really do appreciate and respect everyone's opinion and advice :smile:

Ryan.
I know you answer alot on the Medicine page care to help? :smile:
Your age will only be a problem if you make it a problem. Plenty of graduates come into medicine in their 30s and even 40s+.

If you want to speed up the process a little bit, you could consider an access course instead of A-Levels. It's only 1 year and it is a fair bit easier (and I believe cheaper) than A-Levels. It's the route I took and many others have been successful this way. It will limit your uni choices a bit though, for example I don't think Queen Mary's accept access courses.
Reply 3
How did you find a college to study the A levels? That seems to be a barrier for loads of people.
Original post by ajj2000
How did you find a college to study the A levels? That seems to be a barrier for loads of people.

New College Swindon allows you to take them as an adult I think most colleges should accept A level students regardless of age.
Original post by stuntmanhy
Your age will only be a problem if you make it a problem. Plenty of graduates come into medicine in their 30s and even 40s+.

If you want to speed up the process a little bit, you could consider an access course instead of A-Levels. It's only 1 year and it is a fair bit easier (and I believe cheaper) than A-Levels. It's the route I took and many others have been successful this way. It will limit your uni choices a bit though, for example I don't think Queen Mary's accept access courses.

Very good reply I thank you for the advice about the age I will just not let it get to me.
Secondly I had looked at the Science Access to HE however as you stated it limits the choices and most Medical schools don't accept them. I'd rather just spend the extra year doing Full 2 years of A levels. Yep QML don't accept Access to HE.
Thanks for replying :smile:
You have literally killed my anxiety and worries I had by about 90% just by your time and efforts replying to this alone.
I am very grateful for the advice and I will take it on board.

Yes I did mean ACCS specialty training programme in Anesthesia.
You are also correct in terms of don't pick speciality training and concentrate on getting into medical school first but for me first I will just not even think about medical school & work hard towards the A levels.

The dream is still alive and with this covid & lockdown before, I finally found some sort of future hope.

Congratulations on becoming a consultant! I would love to have you as my senior doctor in future for advice as you've reassured me with a brighter future :smile:
Reply 7
Hello

Did you get in medicine?! How did it go ?

Latest

Trending

Trending