The Student Room Group

Should I consider Clearing or retaking my exams?

Hey, so I've been away from education for two years now. I initially went after my parents forced me. But I dropped out because of mental health issues.
Now, I have rekindled a love for studies and hope to go back to university. I'd love to study LAW. However, I feel like my grades (B,C,D) are holding me back.
So I am considering retaking two of my three subjects, whilst reading LAW books from Uni reading lists. On top of that I am currently working full time. All this adds so much stress to me, because I would really like to get into uni for next year, but don't think will have time to study because of work.

Of course I'm not expecting to get into a great uni with my current grades.

Any sort of advice is greatly appreciated.
Thank you sooo much
(edited 3 years ago)
Hi, I was in a similar place as you, There are universities on clearing this year that are likely to offer you a place for law. You can try DMU in Leicester I have similar grades as you and I have received offers for law without any issue/ having to retake it. Hope this helps :smile: Good luck!
Also Kent, Sussex are likely to offer you a place.
Original post by Zstarlight18
Hi, I was in a similar place as you, There are universities on clearing this year that are likely to offer you a place for law. You can try DMU in Leicester I have similar grades as you and I have received offers for law without any issue/ having to retake it. Hope this helps :smile: Good luck!

thank you for your reply.
I should have stated this in my post but I am looking to stay in London. Although going to uni outside isn't necessarily out of the picture
I am honestly strongly considering retaking a-levels.
Btw, do you have any advice/ tips about anything i can do in regards to preparing for law before uni? Thank you
Original post by lawllbmature
Hey, so I've been away from education for two years now. I initially went after my parents forced me. But I dropped out because of mental health issues.
Now, I have rekindled a love for studies and hope to go back to university. I'd love to study LAW. However, I feel like my grades (B,C,D) are holding me back.
So I am considering retaking two of my three subjects, whilst reading LAW books from Uni reading lists. On top of that I am currently working full time. All this adds so much stress to me, because I would really like to get into uni for next year, but don't think will have time to study because of work.

Thank you sooo much

Hey!

It is definitely worth having a look at clearing options. My friend was in a similar situation to you last year having taken several years out of studies, but he applied through clearing with very similar grades and got a place at University and is currently thriving! Alternatively you could have a look at foundation year programmes or courses which allow law conversions. You have plenty of options and sound like you know where you want to get which is a great position to be in. Good luck!

Zoe
First year Biological Sciences and student ambassador
Original post by UniofReading
Hey!

It is definitely worth having a look at clearing options. My friend was in a similar situation to you last year having taken several years out of studies, but he applied through clearing with very similar grades and got a place at University and is currently thriving! Alternatively you could have a look at foundation year programmes or courses which allow law conversions. You have plenty of options and sound like you know where you want to get which is a great position to be in. Good luck!

Zoe
First year Biological Sciences and student ambassador

I just assumed that because is a very demanding subject, the chances of getting in through clearing. I plan to take one more year away from education before applying for next year (hopefully things go well) and so that is why I am very much considering resitting. During this year, I want to see if law is for me.
I know that you're not studying law, but if there is anything you can share with me in terms of advice or how best to use your time I'd really appreciate that.

Thank you for your reply!!
(edited 3 years ago)

Thank you sooo much

Hi!

I agree with that Zoe from the University of Reading said about clearing options and the foundation year. I am about to go into my third and final year at Sussex and I did a foundation year which was one of the best decisions I made! I missed my grade I did a foundation year in Social Sciences and was able to learn about so many subject areas from Law to International Development. They tend to be like a 'bridge' between A-levels and University so I felt I was able to ease into things and felt ahead when I started at Sussex. It is quite relaxed and wasn't too intense so you might be able to work a bit more (granted this doesn't take over your studies). The main thing to consider is doing an extra year at university.
Many universities offer this so I recommend looking into this as they can take you on with lower grades (even with BCD). Clearing is also a great alternative!

Meena
3rd Politics Student
I just assumed that because is a very demanding subject, the chances of getting in through clearing. I plan to take one more year away from education before applying for next year (hopefully things go well) and so that is why I am very much considering resitting. During this year, I want to see if law is for me.
I know that you're not studying law, but if there is anything you can share with me in terms of advice or how best to use your time I'd really appreciate that.

Sounds like you have it figured out super well! I think taking this year to do so in an awesome idea, post A-levels I was very jaded by education and ended up taking a gap year where I did a load of conservation projects and basically fell back in love with my subject and studying in general. By September I couldn't wait to get into a lecture hall! So I'd suggest pretty much exactly what it sounds like you plan on doing. The open University has a load of free courses on all sorts of subjects and all different knowledge levels and time commitments so definitely check those out! But also make sure you enjoy the time, University is fun, but it is a lot (although it sounds like you're used to balancing a lot of things!). So try and enjoy the next year for what it is rather than spending it all waiting for the year after. I hope that makes sense!

Zoe
Have you considered looking to see if you are eligible for an Access course? They are a year long so you could go to uni for 2021. Or you could do a distance course (e.g. Open Uni)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending