The Student Room Group

Exeter or Bath

I got AAA in my results today and hence confirmed my place at Exeter for BSc Economics. However, I'm interested in looking at other unis around the same entry requirements through adjustment, one of them being Bath. As I've only moved to the UK a few years ago, I don't have a great idea about which unis are more sought after for my particular course. So, if anyone could tell whether there is much of a difference between the 2?
Original post by yeahalright
I got AAA in my results today and hence confirmed my place at Exeter for BSc Economics. However, I'm interested in looking at other unis around the same entry requirements through adjustment, one of them being Bath. As I've only moved to the UK a few years ago, I don't have a great idea about which unis are more sought after for my particular course. So, if anyone could tell whether there is much of a difference between the 2?

What was your offer for Exeter? You can only apply through Adjustment if you EXCEEDED your offer (so an offer of AAB for example)

Both are top unis so you are safe whichever one you choose. I am guessing you have sorted out accommodation at Exeter if it was your firm choice. If you apply to Bath now then you will need to sort out accommodation - may not automatically be given a place in uni accommodation.

You state you are new to the UK. Be aware that Exeter has had some issues with racism.
Reply 3
there is no difference between the two in terms of reputation and opportunities. Exeter however has a better campus and better nightlife.

Exeter is better regarded for Economics ...
Reply 5
Original post by mike23mike
Both are top unis so you are safe whichever one you choose. I am guessing you have sorted out accommodation at Exeter if it was your firm choice. If you apply to Bath now then you will need to sort out accommodation - may not automatically be given a place in uni accommodation.

You state you are new to the UK. Be aware that Exeter has had some issues with racism.

Yeah, I've also read about the incidents you mentioned and that is something that worries me about going there. It'd be great if someone currently at Exeter could share their experience.
Reply 6
Original post by Interrobang
What was your offer for Exeter? You can only apply through Adjustment if you EXCEEDED your offer (so an offer of AAB for example)

AAA. And I think I can apply through adjustment as long as I matched or exceeded the offer from my firm choice.
AAA. And I think I can apply through adjustment as long as I matched or exceeded the offer from my firm choice.

It's only if you exceeded your offer, so it doesn't look like you are eligible I'm afraid. You could still try through Clearing if there are spaces, but that is your only option if you want to go somewhere else

You must exceed the offer (not match it)

Both are great unis, its really a case of what you prefer.
If you want to go to Bath more than Exeter then I would pick the phone up and see if they an offer you a place (its not guaranteed). If you happy with Exeter then its all good.

Congrats AAA is a fantastic result!
Reply 9
Original post by mnot
You must exceed the offer (not match it)

Both are great unis, its really a case of what you prefer.
If you want to go to Bath more than Exeter then I would pick the phone up and see if they an offer you a place (its not guaranteed). If you happy with Exeter then its all good.

Congrats AAA is a fantastic result!

Thank you :smile:
Yeah, I've also read about the incidents you mentioned and that is something that worries me about going there. It'd be great if someone currently at Exeter could share their experience.

Hi @yeahalright,

I know you are hoping for a current student perspective but wanted to jump in and hopefully one of our students will be able to give you their personal insight at some point. We have had some bad publicity regarding racism over the last few years, which would rightly so concern many people considering applying to Exeter. It is worth saying that the reported incidents are not representative of the whole student body and the University is committed to supporting all students and staff.

All reported incidents of racism are taken seriously. Last year a new Provost Commission was established to look at how practices can be improved at the University and a new online hub has been developed where students and staff can report abuse or discrimination of all kinds. I cannot speak for individual students at Exeter, but as an institution we certainly do not tolerate any racism and will act decisively on any reported incidents, and I am sure the overwhelming majority of our student body would agree.

We have to acknowledge that the South West is less diverse than other parts of the UK. As a university we continue to make progress in building a more ethnically diverse UK undergraduate student body, increasing the proportion of home Black, Asian and other minority ethnicities (BAME) students steadily from 5.8% in 2011/12 to 11.1%in 17/18. It is also worth noting that 19% of our student population is international, coming from over 160 different countries. As an intuition we want to attract the brightest minds, regardless of their background and personal circumstances.

I appreciate that this is not necessarily the student perspective that you were looking for but I hope that this is still useful and helps with your decision making. Exeter and Bath are both great choices (obviously I am a little bias); whichever you choose will be a great institution to be part of.

If you have any further questions about Exeter or your programme please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Melody
University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team
(edited 3 years ago)

Look everyone uni has racists I'm afraid - Exeter hit the headlines because it actually expelled the culprits. Other unis have sat back and done nothing!
Original post by Muttley79
Exeter is better regarded for Economics ...

Are u saying their economics graduates are better regarded by employers? I'm asking since Exeter has recently fallen outside the top 10 for Economics, while Bath have maintained their place in the top 10.
Original post by University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team Two
Hi @yeahalright,

I know you are hoping for a current student perspective but wanted to jump in and hopefully one of our students will be able to give you their personal insight at some point. We have had some bad publicity regarding racism over the last few years, which would rightly so concern many people considering applying to Exeter. It is worth saying that the reported incidents are not representative of the whole student body and the University is committed to supporting all students and staff.

All reported incidents of racism are taken seriously. Last year a new Provost Commission was established to look at how practices can be improved at the University and a new online hub has been developed where students and staff can report abuse or discrimination of all kinds. I cannot speak for individual students at Exeter, but as an institution we certainly do not tolerate any racism and will act decisively on any reported incidents, and I am sure the overwhelming majority of our student body would agree.

We have to acknowledge that the South West is less diverse than other parts of the UK. As a university we continue to make progress in building a more ethnically diverse UK undergraduate student body, increasing the proportion of home Black, Asian and other minority ethnicities (BAME) students steadily from 5.8% in 2011/12 to 11.1%in 17/18. It is also worth noting that 19% of our student population is international, coming from over 160 different countries. As an intuition we want to attract the brightest minds, regardless of their background and personal circumstances.

I appreciate that this is not necessarily the student perspective that you were looking for but I hope that this is still useful and helps with your decision making. Exeter and Bath are both great choices (obviously I am a little bias); whichever you choose will be a great institution to be part of.

If you have any further questions about Exeter or your programme please do not hesitate to get in touch.

Melody

Thanks for responding. The arrangements put in place by the university you mentioned, have made me more confident about my choice and I look forward to starting my course in September.
Go for what is right for you!
I heard they are similar
Congrats 🥳 btw
Original post by Thebigworld
Go for what is right for you!
I heard they are similar
Congrats 🥳 btw

Thank you!
Are u saying their economics graduates are better regarded by employers? I'm asking since Exeter has recently fallen outside the top 10 for Economics, while Bath have maintained their place in the top 10.

Yes - you should look at it long term not in flawed league tables.

Would defo watch OneCanFran on YouTube as she interviews ethnic minorities and international students at Exeter to see their experiences of the uni. It's how I made my mind up or even go on ask a student on their website as there's people you can live chat with.
Thanks for responding. The arrangements put in place by the university you mentioned, have made me more confident about my choice and I look forward to starting my course in September.

That is great to hear! We really look forward to welcoming you in September!

Melody

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending