The Student Room Group

Awarded low AS grades, concerned about uni application

Yesterday I was unfortunately awarded ADE for my AS grades, a massive injustice imo when you consider the fact I:
Was predicted AAA for AS.
Got a B in the mock of the subject I was awarded an E.
I’ve been panicking as I was planning on applying to unis that require grades from AAA-ABB.
I am planning to appeal, my college didn’t have much information yet but I was told that my predicted grades and my mocks would be taken into consideration, leading me to guess that my grades might change to BB or CB, but ofc I don’t know for sure.

Would it still be possible for me to be predicted AAA or AAB by my college for y13/ my UCAS application? Would I still be able to apply to the following unis for History like I planned/was strongly considering?
- St Andrews, Warwick, Exeter, Leeds, Lancaster, Edinburgh, York.
Thank you for your time.
Reply 1
ASs don't matter. It's fine.
Original post by justjas33
Yesterday I was unfortunately awarded ADE for my AS grades, a massive injustice imo when you consider the fact I:
I’ve been panicking as I was planning on applying to unis that require grades from AAA-ABB.
I am planning to appeal, my college didn’t have much information yet but I was told that my predicted grades and my mocks would be taken into consideration, leading me to guess that my grades might change to BB or CB, but ofc I don’t know for sure.

Would it still be possible for me to be predicted AAA or AAB by my college for y13/ my UCAS application? Would I still be able to apply to the following unis for History like I planned/was strongly considering?
Thank you for your time.

You would have to talk to your teachers about this, and see what they would put as a reasonable prediction (and perhaps if you have any proof, negotiate with them?). Wait for more info on the appeals process also :smile:

Thank you for your time.

Hi @justjas33,
It can be super difficult to get teachers to give you the predicted grades you want - it's a struggle loads of students have every year. Hopefully your teachers know you well enough and understand the current situation and can be sympathetic.
One thing you can try is suggest sitting a mock early to get an improved prediction. I really wanted an A* prediction in Maths but my teacher refused, so I offered to learn the rest of the course on its own and take a mock early to prove I could get an A*. I then revised all weekend and managed to get a high score in a mock I sat during lunch time. This confused him to boost my predicted grade and helped me to apply to unis with high grade boundaries!
Either way, good luck with your application, and remember it is still possible to get offers even if you don't exceed or meet the requirements.
Charlotte :smile:
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine
Original post by emiloujess
You would have to talk to your teachers about this, and see what they would put as a reasonable prediction (and perhaps if you have any proof, negotiate with them?). Wait for more info on the appeals process also :smile:

Will do, thank you. I do have good reason to believe I would have been predicted at least AAB for y13 (informal chats with my teachers before lockdown made me think that anyway) but I’ll have to see, I don’t know anymore :/ Yes, can’t wait for more info on appeals (or a u-turn like Scotland🤷🏾*♀️) Thanks again!
Original post by Lancaster Student Ambassador
Hi @justjas33,
It can be super difficult to get teachers to give you the predicted grades you want - it's a struggle loads of students have every year. Hopefully your teachers know you well enough and understand the current situation and can be sympathetic.
One thing you can try is suggest sitting a mock early to get an improved prediction. I really wanted an A* prediction in Maths but my teacher refused, so I offered to learn the rest of the course on its own and take a mock early to prove I could get an A*. I then revised all weekend and managed to get a high score in a mock I sat during lunch time. This confused him to boost my predicted grade and helped me to apply to unis with high grade boundaries!
Either way, good luck with your application, and remember it is still possible to get offers even if you don't exceed or meet the requirements.
Charlotte :smile:
3rd year Biological Sciences with Biomedicine

Thank you for your advice. I might do so with English Lit, the subject I got a D in. The E (Law) was just an insane downgrade that I know my teacher will support me in proving wrong (he still believes I would have at least got a B in the summer) but some extra ammo with a mock in English Lit may be helpful if it’s possible.
Thanks again, I really hope it all works out so I can apply to Lancaster later this year!
Original post by Doones
ASs don't matter. It's fine.

I wish they were the case but they are imo! They go on my UCAS application, so bad grades could hinder my chances of getting into the unis I want.

Thank you for your time.

Wow, I am sorry to hear that. That is a massive justice and you are NOT alone. So many people have been hard done by with AS and A-Level results. Luckily, I didn't too bad, I received AAB (predictions: AAA). The B was in Maths and everyone in my school got a B from WJEC despite being capable of achieving an A. I and my friend had been receiving 90% averages in Maths all year and were surprised to get a B. Still happy though as so many people did worse...

I would speak to your school and let them appeal for you. Btw, I don't think your AS grades count towards your predictions. Look what the actual CAGs were that they gave. The teachers know what you're capable of. I want my teachers to give me predictions of A*A*A* next year. They will probably give that as they know my capabilities, so don't worry too much. Your teachers know your capability within that subject. It will probably be possible to receive them predictions as they gave them to you and during mock results. Just speak to your school about it and they may appeal for you. I hope this helps :smile:
Original post by ryanalevel
Wow, I am sorry to hear that. That is a massive justice and you are NOT alone. So many people have been hard done by with AS and A-Level results. Luckily, I didn't too bad, I received AAB (predictions: AAA). The B was in Maths and everyone in my school got a B from WJEC despite being capable of achieving an A. I and my friend had been receiving 90% averages in Maths all year and were surprised to get a B. Still happy though as so many people did worse...

I would speak to your school and let them appeal for you. Btw, I don't think your AS grades count towards your predictions. Look what the actual CAGs were that they gave. The teachers know what you're capable of. I want my teachers to give me predictions of A*A*A* next year. They will probably give that as they know my capabilities, so don't worry too much. Your teachers know your capability within that subject. It will probably be possible to receive them predictions as they gave them to you and during mock results. Just speak to your school about it and they may appeal for you. I hope this helps :smile:

Ah thank you, that means a lot :smile: I’m so glad that you managed to make it out somewhat unscathed!
Yeah I’ve made it super clear to them I’m appealing, and I did find out today that my college are automatically putting everyone who got grades lower than what they sent in into appeal which is nice of them! I might ask them if I can see the actual CAGs they gave, it might give me an idea of what I could get after the appeal (and make me feel better lol, DE was a massive gut punch). Thanks for the advice, it definitely helped :smile:
Reply 9
I wish they were the case but they are imo! They go on my UCAS application, so bad grades could hinder my chances of getting into the unis I want.

As ASs are now optional, and most schools don't offer them if you are taking a subject to full A-level, universities don't generally put much value on them.

You can check universities attitudes to AS-levels on their entry requirements pages.
Original post by Doones
As ASs are now optional, and most schools don't offer them if you are taking a subject to full A-level, universities don't generally put much value on them.

You can check universities attitudes to AS-levels on their entry requirements pages.

Oh really? My college hounded us on how important our AS grades would be for unis. I’ll have a look, thank you for the heads up!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending