The Student Room Group

I’m worried someone has access to our house

I’m currently living with my parents and younger siblings. For the past couple of months (roughly since March), the house has rarely been completely empty and there’s always at least one or two of us at home, other than the odd occasion here and there when some of us are out and the rest are at work etc.

In March, my mum lost something really valuable of hers. She’s had it for years and at first we thought she’d just misplaced it somewhere, but we’ve been searching and searching to no avail and we have no idea how it could have gone missing. The only people who had access to my parents’ room were some builders, but I doubt they would take it or if they’d even have time to try and search for it and do away with it.

Over the last couple of weeks, my parents have been noticing strange things. It was small things like maybe something being out of place or something, but a few days ago, I noticed the attic door panel open. Mind you, the attic panel is extremely heavy and there’s no way the wind could’ve shifted it, and it wasn’t just a slight budge- it looked like it had carefully been moved aside. I asked if anyone else had opened it and they all said no, and my mum was shocked as well saying she also found the attic door panel open a couple of months ago but didn’t think too much of it at the time.

We’re now worried thinking someone may have access to the house, but we don’t understand exactly when they would be coming into the property though as almost 99% of the time there’s at least one person in the house and there’s no way to access to the attic from the outside. We have contacted the police and they said they’ll be coming to do a check on our house and possibly change the locks, which would ease all our minds. However I’m worried about the open attic door panel at the moment, as there’s no attached ladder for the attic and we store a ladder in the shed, and it’s quite high up so it seems as though someone opened it from inside the attic, and we checked thoroughly inside and there was nothing there.

I’d be grateful for any help please
Original post by Anonymous
I’m currently living with my parents and younger siblings. For the past couple of months (roughly since March), the house has rarely been completely empty and there’s always at least one or two of us at home, other than the odd occasion here and there when some of us are out and the rest are at work etc.

In March, my mum lost something really valuable of hers. She’s had it for years and at first we thought she’d just misplaced it somewhere, but we’ve been searching and searching to no avail and we have no idea how it could have gone missing. The only people who had access to my parents’ room were some builders, but I doubt they would take it or if they’d even have time to try and search for it and do away with it.

Over the last couple of weeks, my parents have been noticing strange things. It was small things like maybe something being out of place or something, but a few days ago, I noticed the attic door panel open. Mind you, the attic panel is extremely heavy and there’s no way the wind could’ve shifted it, and it wasn’t just a slight budge- it looked like it had carefully been moved aside. I asked if anyone else had opened it and they all said no, and my mum was shocked as well saying she also found the attic door panel open a couple of months ago but didn’t think too much of it at the time.

We’re now worried thinking someone may have access to the house, but we don’t understand exactly when they would be coming into the property though as almost 99% of the time there’s at least one person in the house and there’s no way to access to the attic from the outside. We have contacted the police and they said they’ll be coming to do a check on our house and possibly change the locks, which would ease all our minds. However I’m worried about the open attic door panel at the moment, as there’s no attached ladder for the attic and we store a ladder in the shed, and it’s quite high up so it seems as though someone opened it from inside the attic, and we checked thoroughly inside and there was nothing there.

Set up a camera, webcam, hidden cam etc you can get the pretty cheap online. Then next time something odd happens you’ll know who/what caused it
Original post by Anonymous

Sounds like you've done the right thing by informing the police. I think them checking it over and perhaps changing the locks is a good idea. I agree with the user above about setting up cameras too :smile:
As the above user said for a peace of mind or reassurance place a hidden camera or something like this by something expensive, don't put this in the toilent as you might get a pleasant surprise. Jokes aside change the locks and install security camera out the back and front of your house.For even more reassurance get a light which turn out automatically when there is movement outside your house

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending