The Student Room Group

He recycled the pet name with me

My bf calls me in a very specific manner, he uses an original pet name to call me since we both met.

Few days ago he created a Spotify playlist for me with the title of this name with some romantic songs in it and sent it to me but then I entered his public profile.

I felt terrible when I discovered that he had created a playlist for his ex too with other songs but with the same name he uses to call me. (It was created when they were still together)

For some reason, I thought I was the only one he had called like that. It’s not even a romantic nickname but I made it mine in my head and now I feel bad. It may sound stupid but now I reject a bit being called like that.

I can understand we reuse romantic names like “love, honey, darling” etc but not this one. What can I do? How would you feel?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Already asked and answered, and you were given good advice.
Reply 2
I only had one answer... :confused:
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
I only had one answer... :confused:

Sometimes that's all you need. Have you spoken to your boyfriend? Communication is key in relationships.
Tell him not to call you that nickname anymore. Personally if I'm not serious about the person I'd end it as this would make me feel like a replacement/replaceable.
Talk to him about it, if you're not comfortable with him calling you that anymore then make it known.
Reply 6
Tell him not to call you that nickname anymore. Personally if I'm not serious about the person I'd end it as this would make me feel like a replacement/replaceable.

Would you dump him?
i will tell him but I’m scared he gets angry because I snooped his playlists (they are public) but I kind of made a research. i feel Like a second hand girl or something like that. My friends tell me that either he doesn’t have any creativity or that this fact is very ugly
My bf calls me in a very specific manner, he uses an original pet name to call me since we both met.

Few days ago he created a Spotify playlist for me with the title of this name with some romantic songs in it and sent it to me but then I entered his public profile.

I felt terrible when I discovered that he had created a playlist for his ex too with other songs but with the same name he uses to call me. (It was created when they were still together)

For some reason, I thought I was the only one he had called like that. It’s not even a romantic nickname but I made it mine in my head and now I feel bad. It may sound stupid but now I reject a bit being called like that.

I can understand we reuse romantic names like “love, honey, darling” etc but not this one. What can I do? How would you feel?

Fluffykitten and Fido are common names, think how the dog or cat feels having to share.
Would you dump him?
i will tell him but I’m scared he gets angry because I snooped his playlists (they are public) but I kind of made a research. i feel Like a second hand girl or something like that. My friends tell me that either he doesn’t have any creativity or that this fact is very ugly

Dump him? Over a pet name?
However, if he gets angry at you for looking at his PUBLIC profile, then I'd have some doubts...
Reply 9
Original post by wastedcuriosity
Dump him? Over a pet name?
However, if he gets angry at you for looking at his PUBLIC profile, then I'd have some doubts...

I wouldn’t that’s why I ask.
I’m very nervous about how facing this issue, how telling him I saw this. I’m also scared that after this everything gets worse

Id feel shut but many me. Have no imagination and don’t see how the recycle would hurt you. Just ask that he doesn’t call you it again and move on. It’s not worth getting upset by iy
Sounds like the issue here is your insecurity...
I wouldn’t that’s why I ask.
I’m very nervous about how facing this issue, how telling him I saw this. I’m also scared that after this everything gets worse

Honesty is key. If you don’t want to tell him you looked at the public profile then just tell him that you don’t want to be called by the pet name.
If his reaction to that is over the top then that’s a warning
Personally I think you’re reading too much into it. It may just be a name he’s used for many people over the years
Original post by black tea
Sounds like the issue here is your insecurity...

Why? I don’t think it’s nice to be called like an ex. It’s not a common pet name, it’s an inside joke he seems to have used with both of us

I don't understand why he would not just make it private??
I don't understand why he would not just make it private??

Why would he need to?
I don’t think he even knows his profile is open.
Why? I don’t think it’s nice to be called like an ex. It’s not a common pet name, it’s an inside joke he seems to have used with both of us

All it means is that he lacks imagination to think of a new pet name. It's really not worth dwelling on.

I would find it weird too - to me it hints at a certain lack of sensitivity but all you can do is talk to him about it. Maybe it's a bit of a red flag if you do indeed find him insensitive in other areas of your relationship.
Original post by harrysbar
I would find it weird too - to me it hints at a certain lack of sensitivity but all you can do is talk to him about it. Maybe it's a bit of a red flag if you do indeed find him insensitive in other areas of your relationship.

Your answer scares me as I do find some other insensitive things.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending