The Student Room Group

Choosing a course

It’s nearing the end of summer and I don’t really know what course to do at university. I have looked at different courses, but I’m indecisive in nature and honestly no course particularly greatly interests me. I’m feeling really anxious because everyone I know seems to have already chosen their course and finished their UCAS application, but I’m still not 100% what I want to do. Any advice?
Reply 1
Is there any subject you're doing at A level that you particularly like? If so, look into studying that.
If there's a particular job you'd like to go into, look at what sort of qualifications you need for it.
Just remember that you don't have to go to uni, and you can always do apprenticeships or take a gap year.
I would also say if there has been one of your A Levels you particuarly enjoyed then could be worth looking into courses similar! If you do have any interests you could always look into a foundation year or foundation degree as these can give you an insight into what the subject is like before you progress any further!! Or maybe look for some free online courses so you can see what interests you :smile:
Original post by J.Chrisy
It’s nearing the end of summer and I don’t really know what course to do at university. I have looked at different courses, but I’m indecisive in nature and honestly no course particularly greatly interests me. I’m feeling really anxious because everyone I know seems to have already chosen their course and finished their UCAS application, but I’m still not 100% what I want to do. Any advice?

Hi @J.Chrisy

What A levels did you do, and did you particularly enjoy any of them ? If so you could look at similar degrees at uni and see if you would enjoy them. Or do you know what sort of career path you would like to take, as you could then look at what degrees help you get there?

If not maybe take a gap year, to help you decide what path you want to take.

Good luck!

Zaira :smile:
Original post by Emily_B
Is there any subject you're doing at A level that you particularly like? If so, look into studying that.
If there's a particular job you'd like to go into, look at what sort of qualifications you need for it.
Just remember that you don't have to go to uni, and you can always do apprenticeships or take a gap year.

Thank you so much for your reply! I’m currently doing maths, further maths, history, french and chemistry (but I’m thinking of dropping chemistry a few weeks into the start of the new school term).

But what do I do if my level of interest for each subject is around the same? Should I just base it off of what I’m good at? Or should I base it off of what I think will get me a better job at the end?
Original post by jadefnewman97_
I would also say if there has been one of your A Levels you particuarly enjoyed then could be worth looking into courses similar! If you do have any interests you could always look into a foundation year or foundation degree as these can give you an insight into what the subject is like before you progress any further!! Or maybe look for some free online courses so you can see what interests you :smile:

Thank you for your kind advice!! :smile:

I always thought that foundation years were for international students - what exactly is it and what would I need to do to be able to do one?
Original post by hallamstudents
Hi @J.Chrisy

What A levels did you do, and did you particularly enjoy any of them ? If so you could look at similar degrees at uni and see if you would enjoy them. Or do you know what sort of career path you would like to take, as you could then look at what degrees help you get there?

If not maybe take a gap year, to help you decide what path you want to take.

Good luck!

Zaira :smile:

Hi Zaira!

Thank you very much for your advice!!
I’m currently doing maths, further maths, history, french and chemistry (though I’m thinking of dropping chem a few weeks into the start of the new school year depending on workload) - I’m predicted A*AA*A*B respectively.

I was really considering doing a gap year after taking into account everyone’s advice but when I mentioned it to my parents, they were really against the idea. I can somewhat understand because of the COVID situation and how travelling and finding jobs...etc isn’t 100% guaranteed or all that safe.

But that said, how do I pick a course if I don’t know what I want to do? Should then just base it off of future careers? But what if I change my mind again in the future?

Thank you again!
Based on your subjects, you could do maths, languages or history (and probably some other humanities/social science subjects like sociology), assuming you do drop chemistry (which I think you should, as I feel it COULD drag you down and 5 a-levels really isn't necessary).
Do you have a favourite subject out of those?
My parents were very against me taking a gap year too. Technically, they don't have to let you stay with them, as you are a legal adult, but they can't stop you getting a house share or something and having a gap year that way (though that would be harder). Admittedly, due to covid, my gap year was not as good as it probably could have been, and I imagine this trend will continue for another couple of years.
Really it's up to you. It will be hard to take a gap year, especially if your parents aren't willing to let you stay with them, and it's generally not recommended to take a gap year for maths.
If you manage to narrow your options down to two or three subjects but then can't choose one specifically, perhaps consider a Flexible Combined Honours? A few universities offer them, including Exeter I think, and it would help you from having to exclusively focus on one thing, so you might be able to study Maths and French, for example. Just something to consider!
Original post by J.Chrisy
Thank you so much for your reply! I’m currently doing maths, further maths, history, french and chemistry (but I’m thinking of dropping chemistry a few weeks into the start of the new school term).

But what do I do if my level of interest for each subject is around the same? Should I just base it off of what I’m good at? Or should I base it off of what I think will get me a better job at the end?

Hi J.Chrisy. As another poster has stated, you should take a look at our Flexible Combined Honours (FCH) programme here at Exeter. You can combine 2 or even 3 subjects - so even a Maths and History with French degree would be an option! We find that students love the flexibility and challenge of working across different disciplines and employers are attracted to the multiple skills that someone with these unique combinations can offer. You can find out more about our FCH options here https://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/courses/flexible/
Also we have some spaces available for our October virtual Open Days - book a place here https://www.exeter.ac.uk/undergraduate/visit/
Good luck with your search.
Karen - University of Exeter Student Recruitment Team

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending