The Student Room Group

Help with the pill please??(desogesterol)

Hellooo,

I started on the progesterone only pill due to super bad period pains for years (ambulance worthy), and also due bad depressive moods and being super emotional two weeks before the period started. Sometimes I felt like I was only myself during the one week that neither of those things happened.

I've been on it for nearly two months now, first month was great (I felt fantastic mental health wise) up until I started my period. I bled for a total of 3 weeks the 2nd month, and for the past couple of weeks I've been feeling emotionally rubbish - not stable, jealous yet apathetic and distant (in my relationship), really sad/depressed some days, anxious and irritable (with family and boyfriend). Basically back to how I was feeling before the period before I even started the bloody pill but for a longer time. I've had more physical side effects too - e.g. breast pain and headaches, but those seem to be clearing up.

I've been trying to analyse what's been going on (perhaps over analysing lol), and I can't tell what's me and what's the pill anymore, and whether I have an actual mental/emotional problem or if it's just side effects. Maybe it wasn't PMS/PMDD in the beginning, maybe it was just poor mental health? For a bit of context, I've always had patches of anxiety and overthinking - and it was improving - I still had the odd blip but I felt stable.

Has anyone taken the pill (the progesterone only one) for my reasons (specifically the mental side of things), and has it got worse once you've started taking it? If so, did you switch to a new one or just wait it out?

P.S. If you don't have any actual advice/useful comments to post then please just don't post. Thank you in advance x
Reply 1
Original post by Anonymous
Hellooo,

I started on the progesterone only pill due to super bad period pains for years (ambulance worthy), and also due bad depressive moods and being super emotional two weeks before the period started. Sometimes I felt like I was only myself during the one week that neither of those things happened.

I've been on it for nearly two months now, first month was great (I felt fantastic mental health wise) up until I started my period. I bled for a total of 3 weeks the 2nd month, and for the past couple of weeks I've been feeling emotionally rubbish - not stable, jealous yet apathetic and distant (in my relationship), really sad/depressed some days, anxious and irritable (with family and boyfriend). Basically back to how I was feeling before the period before I even started the bloody pill but for a longer time. I've had more physical side effects too - e.g. breast pain and headaches, but those seem to be clearing up.

I've been trying to analyse what's been going on (perhaps over analysing lol), and I can't tell what's me and what's the pill anymore, and whether I have an actual mental/emotional problem or if it's just side effects. Maybe it wasn't PMS/PMDD in the beginning, maybe it was just poor mental health? For a bit of context, I've always had patches of anxiety and overthinking - and it was improving - I still had the odd blip but I felt stable.

Has anyone taken the pill (the progesterone only one) for my reasons (specifically the mental side of things), and has it got worse once you've started taking it? If so, did you switch to a new one or just wait it out?

P.S. If you don't have any actual advice/useful comments to post then please just don't post. Thank you in advance x

I took exactly the same one in an attempt to improve my spots and period pain.

Honestly, it kickstarted serious depression and anxiety. I was unstable anyway but the pill made it worse.

My mum, as an ex-pharmacist, knew straight away that I had to stop taking them, but it was a bit too late. They can really create an internal imbalance so it’s not a surprise they are making you feel worse.

I didn’t switch to a new one in the end. Sad as it did have some benefits, but never again do I ever want to risk going back to that awful place I found myself in

Wish you all the best, stay safe :smile:
personally i found it was a case of the bad before the good,
after i had a really long period, ive only had maybe one or two a year (which are so light, id just call it spotting)

mentally, i do think i went through a period of being very low and anxious, but tried to just make sure i worked through it? obviously its different for everyone, but i tried to figure out WHAT was making me feel that way and most of the time it was just a feeling, almost a year on, im much much better, id say even 5 months on from starting i felt much better
i would say speak to your doctor and see what they advise, they may agree, a month or so more and see how youre feeling, or may agree that finding something else is better

Quick Reply

Latest