The Student Room Group

My amenorrhea/no period journey

Hi girls! :biggrin: Guys can kindly leave there is going to be alot of TMI so if you don't like that then this isn't for you :tongue:

I thought I'd make this little diary about my journey on irregular periods/amenorrhea/infertility etc....Because I know that many people suffer from these but don't address the problem until they start thinking about a family. That's mainly because girls aren't too bothered about their periods being regular and not having period is just much more convenient....

Those who don't know, amenorrhea is not having a period for 3 consecutive months. So i have that apparently.
For reference, I'm 20 years old. I'm not overweight, currently a BMI of 19.5. For me, what a 'normal' period means (ie what i've always had) is heavy period, 6 days long, no PMS, heavy cramping and bleeding during the first 2 days and then gradually reducing to nothing.

Timeline: Will include everything i think could be relevant

Spoiler

So, i decided it was time i seek professional help because it just wasnt normal to not get a period. I knew my hormones must be messed up, the lining of my uterus must be getting thicker and thicker and i'm at greater risk of getting endometriosis. I kept putting it off because i hate phone calls :erm: and as y'all know you can only get phone consultations with your GP now.

My GP was really nice about it and i was so thankful because normally they just put everything down to stress.I told her everything that i put in the timeline, and she asked a few question about where i was gaining weight, hair on my face and body, acne, and if anyone in the family has diabetes. She said she thinks it could be PCOS, but to be diagnosed with that we first need to rule out everything that could be causing amenorrhea such as:

Anything abnormal in the uterus, ovaries etc... checked through an ultrasound.
Anything that disturbs hormone producing glands:
Thyroid gland: hypo or hyperthyrodism
Pituitary gland: prolactinoma which is a benign tumour
Adrenal gland: Tumour, which could be benign or cancerous

I got a few blood tests done and got a copy of my most recent one and they were as follows:

Spoiler

My doctor hasn't yet called me to discuss what the blood test results mean, but having done my research i think i already know. I'll keep updating here.

Disclaimer: I'm not a medical professional in this field, whatever i say here will be based on my own experience, everyone is different and so it's best to ask your GP about what's best for you.

Updates:
1. Blood test shows high prolactin (and high LH although my doctor didn't mention this to me)
2. Was asked to repeat blood test to check for prolactin again
3. Been told i could have a pituitary tumour ('prolactinoma') and I'd need another MRI if prolactin is still high)
(edited 3 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

wow, this is actually really helpful, I've been experiencing much of the same things but I'm kind of embarrassed speaking to anyone about it and I've managed to convince myself it's regular and normal, ur post has actually made me realise it might not be so I might wait and see what happens
Okay so here's my recent blood test result that i got a week ago.

Spoiler

In summary, my LH and prolactin levels are high.

Prolactin is produced by the pituitary gland and high levels could mean something is pressing on it, like a tumour. That's often not the case though. My blood was re-done to confirm this and it came out high again. We'll see what the doctor says on the phone call.

As for LH, high levels of LH, when in combination with high levels of FSH means ovarian failure but thankfully my FSH is normal!
Normally in the follicular phase (first 14 days of your cycle) FSH and LH are supposed to be at a 1:1 ratio then at 14 days, there is an LH surge which causes ovulation to occurs in the next 24 hours. It's the sudden peak that causes ovulation.
Mine's high already in the follicular phase, hence there is no peak at 14 days and therefore no ovulation, no period. It all makes sense.

But why is it this high? What did i do to cause this :cry2:
I was so upset yesterday about this because high LH levels is what causes infertility. I'm not trying to conceive atm, but i want to be proactive and solve the problem now so i don't have to stress later and cause everyone stress too.
At first i thought i had hypothalamic amenorrhoea which is when your body is under stress either mentally or physically and so the hypothalamus stops sending signals to your glands to produce hormones. It focuses on other more vital organs. This could be due to being under weight, or being a healthy weight but having alot of stressor, or sudden changes in your body such as weight loss ( even if you're losing weight due to obesity, that's still stress on your body because it think omg I'm losing fat and so it stops all unnecessary system such as the reproductive system)
Stressors include exercising, that's why when women start exercising they have to start slowly and build up gradually. Also eat more, eat carbs before your workout and carbs and protein afterwards. That's if you're not obese and trying to lose weight.

I found out if you're a BMI of less than 22, you're more at risk. Female bodies aren't supposed to be 'lean' we literally NEED fat for hormones. The brain can then say okay now that i have enough fat, i can bear another human being lol and then you start having a fertile cycle again. Ofc some women can be lean and have a healthy cycle, if they have a good diet.
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by spectrum84
wow, this is actually really helpful, I've been experiencing much of the same things but I'm kind of embarrassed speaking to anyone about it and I've managed to convince myself it's regular and normal, ur post has actually made me realise it might not be so I might wait and see what happens

Don't be embrassed to talk about this.... I mean it's natural. Me and my friends talk about this all the time, we gotta stop making this taboo

Oh i see. So it's irregular? If it's been going on gor a long time, you should get it checked out. Some doctors just don't care, change doctors. There's always one whose good at this and will find something.
If anyone wants to post their own experiences, go on. It'll be really useful for me and others :yep:
(edited 3 years ago)
Original post by EyestriX
At first i thought i had hypothalamic amenorrhoea which is when your body is under stress either mentally or physically and so the hypothalamus stops sending signals to your glands to produce hormones. It focuses on other more vital organs. This could be due to being under weight, or being a healthy weight but having alot of stressor, or sudden changes in your body such as weight loss ( even if you're losing weight due to obesity, that's still stress on your body because it think omg I'm losing fat and so it stops all unnecessary system such as the reproductive system)

I found out if you're a BMI of less than 22, you're more at risk. Female bodies aren't supposed to be 'lean' we literally NEED fat for hormones. The brain can then say okay now that i have enough fat, i can bear another human being lol and then you start having a fertile cycle again. Ofc some women can be lean and have a healthy cycle, if they have a good diet.

Continued....

So to solve that you need to eat more, and be at a heavier weight than you were when you lost your period.

I was watching this YouTube video, it explained how hormones are very low when you have HA. I realised i probably don't have this then, coz mine are high. So that's one ruled out
(edited 3 years ago)
Ilooked at how PCOS is diagnosed.

You only 2 out of the following 3:
1.Showing or having high levels of male hormones (hence having acne OR excess hair growth on your face OR your blood test showing high levels of FREE testosterone or androgen eg DHEAS)
2. Ultrasound showing polycystic ovaries (everyone has little cysts in their ovaries but i think more than 12 means you have PCOS)
3. Irregular periods for a long time

And then they just need to rule all other conditions.
I have number 1 - acne and hirsutism, not yet sure about high levels of free testosterone but I'll wait.
I also have 3 so that's 2 out 3 done. I get why she thinks i have PCOS.
@chelseadagg3r @StrawberryDreams @BurstingBubbles or any other mod, can you move this to public health instead of sexual health. Idk why it posted itself in here!
(edited 3 years ago)
I told myself just yesterday after crying over my blood test (ik how dramatic now that i think of it) that i wouldn't eat processed and added sugar, and would go on a lower carb diet to help with potential PCOS. I'm assuming i have that unless proven otherwise. But yh here i am eating brownies with custard, past 8pm,just before getting into bed :cookie:
Can you tell i feel better? :rofl:
(edited 3 years ago)
@chelseadagg3r @StrawberryDreams @BurstingBubbles or any other mod, can you move this to public health instead of sexual health. Idk why it posted itself in here!

Moved for you (the thread would have been fine in either subforum but if you're happier with it in general health that's where it shall be :biggrin: ).

Watching too :smile:
Original post by BurstingBubbles
Moved for you (the thread would have been fine in either subforum but if you're happier with it in general health that's where it shall be :biggrin: ).

Watching too :smile:

I always thought your were a guy :lol:
(edited 3 years ago)
I can't wait for dr's call. Feeling a bit anxious as i think about what she's going to say. But the worst is waiting for the call and making sure i don't miss it, coz they only call once.

I wonder what people who have work do. Like do they just pick up the phone and start talking about their personal health in front of their colleagues? :hmmmm: i would never, especially about periods lol

I always thought your were a guy :lol:

Haha no. Doesn't the gender symbol show any more? Also I always thought that 'bubbles' was more of a stereotypical female word to use in usernames... but obviously it doesn't matter either way. I wonder if people realise that shadowdweller is female too and we're a same sex couple? :tongue:

(Also, no reason that guys wouldn't read the thread to educate themselves :smile: )

I'll have a read through your thread btw and hope it'll give me more understanding on the topic. I've been quite lucky that I have quick regular periods but do have them quite heavy. Was put on the pill to make them less heavy and that pill made me have constant periods for like 3 months back in about 2016 :grumble: but now I'm mid 20s my periods seem to be slightly less heavy and slightly shorter (although can still be painful). Still can't imagine what it's like for you!
(edited 3 years ago)
When am i going to start a healthy diet? I need to decrease my carb intake, but everyone in the house literally only eats that. With every meal we have a roti/chapatti/whatever you want to call it. If you don't know, it's the equivalent of 2 slices of bread. But my goal is to eat less than 50 grams of carbs a day.
(edited 3 years ago)
Haha no. Doesn't the gender symbol show any more? Also I always thought that 'bubbles' was more of a stereotypical female word to use in usernames... but obviously it doesn't matter either way. I wonder if people realise that shadowdweller is female too and we're a same sex couple? :tongue:

(Also, no reason that guys wouldn't read the thread to educate themselves :smile: )

I'll have a read through your thread btw and hope it'll give me more understanding on the topic. I've been quite lucky that I have quick regular periods but do have them quite heavy. Was put on the pill to make them less heavy and that pill made me have constant periods for like 3 months back in about 2016 :grumble: but now I'm mid 20s my periods seem to be slightly less heavy and slightly shorter (although can still be painful). Still can't imagine what it's like for you!

Oh does it, i actually use the app and so it doesn't show. But me, I'd get confused between the 2 symbols anyway so i just go by the name or picture.

OMG WHAT REALLY, i thought he was male too :toofunny:. I only found out yesterday you were a couple and getting married soon, congrats!!

Hmmm i thought they'd find it boring, but yeah true they could i suppose you're right :yep:

I hope it does, that's the whole point of the thread :smile:
What's with doctors prescribing the pill for every condition :facepalm: it doesn't even address the underlying cause of heavy periods. It's just a bunch of fake hormones that make you have a fake period as far as i know. Did you come off the pill or are you saying its lighter now, with the pill?

Maybe I'm just scared of the pill because i keep hearing horror stories and it's actually not so bad. But doctors should advice on natural methods imo.
(edited 3 years ago)
Oh does it, i actually use the app and so it doesn't show. But me, I'd get confused between the 2 symbols anyway so i just go by the name or picture.

OMG WHAT REALLY, i thought he was male too :toofunny:. I only found out yesterday you were a couple and getting married soon, congrats!!

Hmmm i thought they'd find it boring, but yeah true they could i suppose you're right :yep:

I hope it does, that's the whole point of the thread :smile:
What's with doctors prescribing the pill for every condition :facepalm: it doesn't even address the underlying cause of heavy periods. It's just a bunch of fake hormones that make you have a fake period as far as i know. Did you come off the pill or are you saying its lighter now, with the pill?

Maybe I'm just scared of the pill because i keep hearing horror stories and it's actually not so bad. But doctors should advice on natural methods imo.

Ah yeah and even on the website on the mobile it doesn't show a lot. Maybe it's only on a laptop on the website that it shows it!

Hahaha. So you thought we were two guys and now trying to get your head around the fact we're two women? :lol: thank you for the congrats :biggrin:

Well when I was in a previous relationship with a guy I was on the pill for a while and that was fine. It was one that you take for 21 days and have a break to have a period. I actually stayed on it when I got together with shadow even though I didn't need it for contraception anymore obvs but I found it slightly lightened and regulated my periods well. But then I had low iron and I mentioned that I have quite a few heavy days they said that it shouldn't like that so put me on one that I took every day to get rid of my period completely it ended up doing the opposite :lol: I went back onto one again with the break for a period. Then as I got into my earlier 20s (about 22) the GP said to try and come off it completely as my periods may even be lighter off it as I was no longer a teenager (apparently they are often heavier as a teenager which I didn't realise) and actually it was a bit lighter. I still have the first 2 or 3 days being heavy ish but then it trails off much better. Back when I was advised to go on the pill that caused me constant periods they also did a scan and found that I have a small fybroid so probably will just have slightly heavier periods than some woman :tongue:

Do you have any tips for when you have heavier periods e.g. managing the pain? Normally pain killers work for me but I still often feel nauseous :redface:
Ah yeah and even on the website on the mobile it doesn't show a lot. Maybe it's only on a laptop on the website that it shows it!

Hahaha. So you thought we were two guys and now trying to get your head around the fact we're two women? :lol: thank you for the congrats :biggrin:

Well when I was in a previous relationship with a guy I was on the pill for a while and that was fine. It was one that you take for 21 days and have a break to have a period. I actually stayed on it when I got together with shadow even though I didn't need it for contraception anymore obvs but I found it slightly lightened and regulated my periods well. But then I had low iron and I mentioned that I have quite a few heavy days they said that it shouldn't like that so put me on one that I took every day to get rid of my period completely it ended up doing the opposite :lol: I went back onto one again with the break for a period. Then as I got into my earlier 20s (about 22) the GP said to try and come off it completely as my periods may even be lighter off it as I was no longer a teenager (apparently they are often heavier as a teenager which I didn't realise) and actually it was a bit lighter. I still have the first 2 or 3 days being heavy ish but then it trails off much better. Back when I was advised to go on the pill that caused me constant periods they also did a scan and found that I have a small fybroid so probably will just have slightly heavier periods than some woman :tongue:

Do you have any tips for when you have heavier periods e.g. managing the pain? Normally pain killers work for me but I still often feel nauseous :redface:

Oh i think you're right. I don't go on my laptop that often so i have an excuse for not knowing who's male and female :tongue:

Yes..... But I'm getting used to it since we're talking about periods haha. Also i was confusing shadowdweller with someone else with similar name whose a guy (can't recall the exact username now)

Oh interesting. My mum actually has very low iron (hers is 3, when it's supposed to be over 10). She's had it for years, yet no doctor has advised her to go on the pill to stop her period. She also mentioned she did have really heavy period. Btw, what's heavy period for you, how many pads do you go through?

The fybroids burst and that's what causes the heavy bleed?

I agree with period being heavier when you're a teenager. They used to be so heavy I'd be moaning in pain in a fetal position lol then they became lighter. I just used to get a hot water bottle and stay warm and have painkillers every 3.5 hours. I'm sorry i can't be more useful :sigh: my friend takes a stronger painkiller for cramping that she got prescribed by her GP. Maybe ask your GP?
I was prescribed tramadol and diazepam (taken together) to deal with my period pains...😅 on a bad one, I get contractions too 🤷😓

Very interesting thread, I found the blood test results especially interesting!

Quick Reply

Latest