The Student Room Group

Anxiety ruining feelings for partner

I've been with my partner for going on two months now and I just can't seem to feel anything but anxiety? I know how I DID feel every time i thought about them and i know that i DO still love them and want to be with them, but im just so numb to everything except anxiety. there was a very stressful event just after we started dating too, where another friend got mad at me because evidently they were interested in me and that triggered a major episode where i was experiencing derealism almost every day. I just want to go back to feeling the way i did every time i heard them laugh.

(just as a footnote: im 21, i got out of a very very long term relationship in October last year and i haven't dated anyone since)
Original post by Anonymous
I've been with my partner for going on two months now and I just can't seem to feel anything but anxiety? I know how I DID feel every time i thought about them and i know that i DO still love them and want to be with them, but im just so numb to everything except anxiety. there was a very stressful event just after we started dating too, where another friend got mad at me because evidently they were interested in me and that triggered a major episode where i was experiencing derealism almost every day. I just want to go back to feeling the way i did every time i heard them laugh.

(just as a footnote: im 21, i got out of a very very long term relationship in October last year and i haven't dated anyone since)

Are you receiving any sort of therapy / counselling for your anxiety? If not, I definitely recommend seeing your GP and asking for a referral. Also, have you told your partner about how you're feeling? It may be worth talking about it to see if they could say/do anything to help you reduce your anxiety. Even if they can't, then maybe talking about it will help you process your feelings and maybe even figure out where they're coming from.
I’m so sorry to hear you feel this way and I hope you feel better soon. Maybe it’s worth talking to your partner about how you feel, which I know is scary because your anxiety is interfering in your relationship but if they care about you then they’ll want to help you in any way they can. Whether that be finding a solution with you or just being a listening ear to your concerns
Reply 3
I had the same feelings when I was about your age. I had a long term relationship but all I felt was anxiety/depression. I knew that I loved him, but couldn't feel it properly. I was scared that I wanted to break up with them, but luckily I went to a doctor and got put on some meds. I also went to therapy for a bit which helped. now we are married, so thankfully I didnt listen to the anxiety!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending