The Student Room Group

My boyfriend refuses to let me watch his football games

My boyfriend will not let me watch him play football, I have been before in the beginning of our relationship but now he refuses to let me watch a game. Especially if he thinks his team will lose. I have told him that I just want to support him because I’m proud and I love him but he just says he doesn’t want me there and that’s it. Is this weird? Every other girl I know can’t seem to get away for their SO’s games. What should I do please help?
Talk to him. Tell him the truth about how your feeling. Let him know that you want to support him ❤️❤️❤️
Reply 2
Original post by Turtle28224
Talk to him. Tell him the truth about how your feeling. Let him know that you want to support him ❤️❤️❤️

Thanks for your reply.
I have but he still doesn’t want me there and doesn’t understand why I’m upset about it
Has he told you why he doesn't want you there? That might help you feel better if you know that he still likes you, he's just supersitious/easily distracted/embarrassed that the kit colours clash with his complexion or whatever :biggrin:

Fundamentally it's his choice - if he'd rather you didn't go, you ought to respect that. But he should also acknowledge that you want to go, and see if you can work out a compromise - maybe you could meet him after for the post-match drinks?
Reply 4
Original post by becausethenight
Has he told you why he doesn't want you there? That might help you feel better if you know that he still likes you, he's just supersitious/easily distracted/embarrassed that the kit colours clash with his complexion or whatever :biggrin:

Fundamentally it's his choice - if he'd rather you didn't go, you ought to respect that. But he should also acknowledge that you want to go, and see if you can work out a compromise - maybe you could meet him after for the post-match drinks?

He says he would be embarrased if he lost, but Ive been to games before where he has lost. I wont go if he doesn't want me to but I just wish he would be more comfortable with me considering we have been together for a year.
To be honest, I never let my partner watch my volleyball games because it’s added pressure! I always play worse when he’s there so maybe it’s that!

I would talk to him about it and see what he says! I wouldn’t take it personally though, it may be the same reason as why I don’t like my partner watching me hahah :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by Anonymous
He says he would be embarrased if he lost, but Ive been to games before where he has lost. I wont go if he doesn't want me to but I just wish he would be more comfortable with me considering we have been together for a year.

I'm not buying that excuse tbh, it's most likely some other reason that he doesn't want to tell you about...
I don't like my friends and family watching me play badminton even though I know that they won't think worse of me for it. It's just self consciousness.
Reply 8
Maybe it's a hobby that he likes doing without you. Don't be worried if this is the only place he doesn't want you to be.
It may put unnecessary stress/pressure on him knowing that you are watching him.
Currently with Covid 19 I would not want anyone to be going to watch.
Original post by Anonymous

It may be because you’ve been to games where he lost, and it was a really embarrassing experience for him, even if he didn’t let on? I’d say you need to trust him on this one, and keep talking so he knows how you feel and can help you feel more secure.

I completely understand wishing he was more comfortable with you, it can be awful to feel that there are parts of your partner’s life that they don’t want you in! But as other posters have said it can also be part of a healthy relationship where you have space and independent hobbies, so the time you spend together is even nicer. Personally, I wouldn’t want my partner to come to watch me play sport. If you think it might help you could try getting involved in something else yourself, so he has his football and you have your own football team/book group/whatever so you don’t feel left out?
l will give you the full truth it might be a shock he is seeing another girl and he does not want you to be there in case its leaked out by his football friends as they will know what he is up to you are asking on TSR as you know in your own mind deep down something is not right maybe the other girl goes to watch him playing football ?
Original post by becausethenight
It may be because you’ve been to games where he lost, and it was a really embarrassing experience for him, even if he didn’t let on? I’d say you need to trust him on this one, and keep talking so he knows how you feel and can help you feel more secure.

I completely understand wishing he was more comfortable with you, it can be awful to feel that there are parts of your partner’s life that they don’t want you in! But as other posters have said it can also be part of a healthy relationship where you have space and independent hobbies, so the time you spend together is even nicer. Personally, I wouldn’t want my partner to come to watch me play sport. If you think it might help you could try getting involved in something else yourself, so he has his football and you have your own football team/book group/whatever so you don’t feel left out?

Thanks you’ve been really helpful
I am in the exact same boat and i think it’s just due to extra pressure they may feel like they might not perform well as you can be a distraction. I have been with my boyfriend for 3 years and i have never been to one match of his and i am a massive football fan but tomorrow i am taking the stand and i am just going to go he doesn’t have a clue and i really hope he doesn’t get mad, as i only want to support him

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending