The Student Room Group

Coming out

I'm going to be coming out as asexual to my parents on asexual awareness week. I was wondering how others came out to their friends and family.
Good Luck:biggrin: Hopefully it goes well for you
Hi fellow Ace!

Good luck on coming out!

I wouldn’t say I “came out” as such but dropped it in casual conversation if certain topics came up. I don’t think my family were surprised as I’ve always had a repulsed reaction if asked about being in a relationship.
I’ve been fortunate that they don’t really care what my orientation is so it’s no big deal.
My advice would be to talk about it like it’s nothing knew and perfectly normal. Just be ready to answer questions as most people don’t really understand what asexuality is at first. I find jokes about it really break the tension too for example, I ask my mum every now and then if she’s looking forward to her future grandcatbabies.

I hope it goes well!
Why do u feel the need to "come out" as asexual? It's not really anyone's business how sexually attracted u are to someone
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I'm going to be coming out as asexual to my parents on asexual awareness week. I was wondering how others came out to their friends and family.

Ayyy fellow Ace here 💜
I came out to my mum first (she’s quite understanding about these things but ace wasn’t one she had heard of before) At first she thought it was a phase or just something I said but didn’t mean, but as I’ve gotten a bit older (and continue going on about it 😂) she’s come to understand it a bit more and actually bought me my ace ring 😁
hope everything goes well for you 💜
Why do u feel the need to "come out" as asexual? It's not really anyone's business how sexually attracted u are to someone

some people just prefer to

Because Asexuality is a valid orientation that is often discriminated against, even within the LGBT+ community
Aces are called “broken” and being asexual used to be considered a mental illness but they deserve to have as much pride in who they are as the next person
Reply 7
Original post by AmySC
Ayyy fellow Ace here 💜
I came out to my mum first (she’s quite understanding about these things but ace wasn’t one she had heard of before) At first she thought it was a phase or just something I said but didn’t mean, but as I’ve gotten a bit older (and continue going on about it 😂) she’s come to understand it a bit more and actually bought me my ace ring 😁
hope everything goes well for you 💜

That's great! I'm going to be going extreme as its important to me. Literally, I brought the flag so then I can use it as a cape, headband, and mini flag.
Reply 8
Original post by KelsieTaylor
Good Luck:biggrin: Hopefully it goes well for you

Thanks! :smile:
Reply 9
Original post by PidgeTheSquidge
Hi fellow Ace!

Good luck on coming out!

I wouldn’t say I “came out” as such but dropped it in casual conversation if certain topics came up. I don’t think my family were surprised as I’ve always had a repulsed reaction if asked about being in a relationship.
I’ve been fortunate that they don’t really care what my orientation is so it’s no big deal.
My advice would be to talk about it like it’s nothing knew and perfectly normal. Just be ready to answer questions as most people don’t really understand what asexuality is at first. I find jokes about it really break the tension too for example, I ask my mum every now and then if she’s looking forward to her future grandcatbabies.

I hope it goes well!

Thank you! I had to do a lot of research as I was confused as to why I don't feel any sexual attraction. It was very interesting as I hadn't really been taught about sexuality, but to accept people for who they are anyway. I have a feeling I went overboard then. :smile: Don't really go overboard with things. Well unless its about Doctor Who
Because Asexuality is a valid orientation that is often discriminated against, even within the LGBT+ community
Aces are called “broken” and being asexual used to be considered a mental illness but they deserve to have as much pride in who they are as the next person

Also it isn't really taught in schools. Sex Education did well covering this topic! as well as many more.
That's great! I'm going to be going extreme as its important to me. Literally, I brought the flag so then I can use it as a cape, headband, and mini flag.

Ayyy 😁😎💜

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending